Hitler and Aspergers Syndrome (Poll and Discussion).

Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you, personally, believe that Adolf Hitler, sufferered from Asperger's Syndrome.
Yes - But mildly. 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
Yes - Quite severely, too. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
No. 51%  51%  [ 35 ]
I am not sure. 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
No - But I do believe that he ha AD/HD. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - But I do believe that he had OCD. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No - But I do believe that he had Dyslexia. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 69

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 2:53 am

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:
Again, you're claiming elitism just purely from the sake of having a limited repertoire.

My repertoire is quite comprehensive but I'm not afraid to call an eyesore and eyesore, even if said eyesore was created by an 'oppressed' individual(s.)

I've self-actualized to and past the point where I can simply appreciate quality art and music for what it is, and call out dreck when I see it or hear it, even if such dreck is superficially avant-garde.

Still, anyone who'se #1 book is "A Confederacy of Dunces" is OK in my book. Congrats ! !!

A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my top all-time favorite books. It's a shame more books aren't bold enough to incorporate multiple plot-lines into one story.

As far as the rest: as anywhere will have it, there's no accounting for taste. However, I will not have my taste challenged on the basis of lack of skill or education. I may be rusty in my theory but I'm more than confident enough in my ability and my natural level of music comprehension that I can defend any point...including a recent trend of mine to look for and enjoy music that bends beyond the current accepted tastes of what may be "in tune" or not. Unfortunately, there is no formalized general music theory for eight and quarter-tones so it's something that I simply enjoy when and where it exists as a natural extension of music beyond what most will currently accept.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2010, 3:12 am

^ I took the liberty of listening to both pieces you mentioned (crumb's angels and Berg's Wozzeck.) Sometimes I feel like modern artists do things just for the sake of being different, without much impact behind their work behind shock value or novelty. Those pieces aren't the kind of thing I could just listen to and actually enjoy. Anyway, I don't quite 'get it,' but I guess I just have more conventional tastes in music. If it music does it for you and you find value in it, than more power to you. You may see things in those pieces that I don't, I'm sure.

My preference when it comest to classical music seems to generally be for the more understated pieces that don't try and do to much besides get to the meat of the composition. As Jeffrey Jones would say, some pieces have 'too many notes.' (chuckle)

Chopin, Debussy, and Rachmaninoff are my preferred composers. I also like a few modern score composers like Randy Edelman(Gettysburg Soundtrack.)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:29 am

Hanotaux wrote:
^ I took the liberty of listening to both pieces you mentioned (crumb's angels and Berg's Wozzeck.) Sometimes I feel like modern artists do things just for the sake of being different, without much impact behind their work behind shock value or novelty. Those pieces aren't the kind of thing I could just listen to and actually enjoy. Anyway, I don't quite 'get it,' but I guess I just have more conventional tastes in music. If it music does it for you and you find value in it, than more power to you. You may see things in those pieces that I don't, I'm sure.

My preference when it comest to classical music seems to generally be for the more understated pieces that don't try and do to much besides get to the meat of the composition. As Jeffrey Jones would say, some pieces have 'too many notes.' (chuckle)

Chopin, Debussy, and Rachmaninoff are my preferred composers. I also like a few modern score composers like Randy Edelman(Gettysburg Soundtrack.)

Some of the more minimally adventurous classical composers like Stravinsky, Bartok, Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, and a few others might give you a bridge to more modern music.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:31 am

Sand wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:

Some of the more minimally adventurous classical composers like Stravinsky, Bartok, Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, and a few others might give you a bridge to more modern music.

Let us get back on topic!

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 11:30 am

skafather84 wrote:
A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my top all-time favorite books.

like no other.

you've seen the statue of ignatius reilly on canal st? (@ iberville)

Helixstein wrote:

apologies

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 11:35 am

katzefrau wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my top all-time favorite books.

like no other.

you've seen the statue of ignatius reilly on canal st? (@ iberville)

Helixstein wrote:

apologies

Nah, I never go down that part of canal...dunno, just never have business there since Canal basically splits the CBD from the French Quarter and I never go to either...at least not that part of the French Quarter (the tourist/bourbon street area).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:08 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:
i just mean nothing good can come of a public ignorant of autism equating AS with violence.

Let 'the Public' think what they will. Why mislead them by letting them think that all with AS are gentle little lambs? Give them the complete unfiltered story.

I'm kind of tired actually of seeing the perception of AS individuals being as soft little teddy bears. I am not this way. Then again, I don't advertise or tell anyone in my day-to-day life that I have Aspergers. I see no need to bring it up.

Its entirely possible that in our highly social society and service economy, festooned with mandatory institutions like public school, that individuals with AS who are constantly thrust into complex social situations would begin to develop fierce hatreds, irrational paranoia, and that sort of thing.

We live in a society that is now dominated by service-sector jobs, especially for new employees entering the work force. Your social skills will make or break you. People with AS are handicapped in this regard. So naturally one with AS could possibly become very disillusioned with their surroundings and very negative about their prospects.

This kind of hopelessness and helplessness can possibly create extreme feelings and desires of social revisionism.

I think that Hitler went through this sort of thing. Hitler desired to go to Vienna to try his luck as an Artist as a boy............. He arrived at Vienna and never found a comfortable niche there................ Hitler went to war in WWI, but despite having a good combat record, he didn't really get on with his fellow soldiers and began to drift away from his fellow soldiers as they began to develop pacifist feelings. Hitler's fervid nationalism put him increasingly at odds with his mates. I think he began to feel more and more out of place in the Army as lots of soldiers (especially in a Bavarian regiment,) began to find anti-war sentiments.

(The Bavarians had a reputation as being very poor and undisciplined soldiers when Bavaria was still semi-autonomous and contributing its independent forces to the Imperial German Army. The Bavarian soldiers as a whole were regarded as extremely careless and soft and were regarded poorly by the Prussians as undisciplined Catholics and poor soldiers.)

From what I've read, Hitler also had a terrible time of it in school as far as fitting in with his classmates, his studies, and functioning well under his teachers. I'm not sure how abusive his father was to him, but Hitler and his father definitely didn't see eye to eye, as Hitler had his fantasies about being an artist, and Alois Hitler had a very simple vision for Hitler of Hitler merely going to the vocational school and just taking over his forgettable civil-servant job.

When Hitler was a teenager, instead of getting to go to the classical high-school to follow an intellectual curriculum, his father Alois sent Adolf to the Realschule, which was like a vocational technical school. For someone like Hitler, who desperately wanted to study the arts, I can see how being forced into a technical environment would be disgusting for him and unpalatable.............. it was.

Recent documents have suggested that far from being a bullet-dodging hero running messages between frontline units, Herr Hitler was in fact a REAR AREA messenger, a monumental toady and inveterate ass-kisser, mostly reviled by his fellows as a rear area pig living an easy life. His Iron Crosses were "earned" by being jammed firmly up the ass of the officer recommending.

As for technical college: Hitler is recorded as being happiest when studying up close with Speer his vast and intricate architectural models, spending many hours with his toy Reichstag etc pointing out interesting features and so on, right up until the end of the war, even when it was clear that there was no hope of such things ever being built. Architecture is a very technical pastime, and by all accounts he was quite good at it. He doesn't appear to have been the floaty wifty artsy type at all. Even the architecture itself is brutal and iron-handed, imposing itself on the landscape and dominating it.

Not that these points invalidate the theory he was an aspie as such, but they are closer to the reality of his behaviour.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm

Craig28 wrote:
Again, I would have to express my disbelief that some people would have to bring his name up on these boards! :twisted:

Who's name? Hitlers? Are we not allowed to mention Hitler now? Is Hitler not a subject worthy of discussion? I'm sure that plenty of people enjoy a good and healthy discourse about Hitler. Everybody else here seems to be getting on fine and having a good discussion about Hitler, and as you have been noted as thinking Hitler is a fine name for a young child, I'm not sure why Hitler disturbs you so much as a conversation piece? Personally I think that discussing Hitler is a very good way to teach new generations about the evils that mankind can do. Even though his name isn't Hitler but more properly something along the lines of Heidler or even Shicklgruber. Hitler is easier to spell though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:47 pm

Heil Schikelguper!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2010, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Recent documents have suggested that far from being a bullet-dodging hero running messages between frontline units, Herr Hitler was in fact a REAR AREA messenger, a monumental toady and inveterate ass-kisser, mostly reviled by his fellows as a rear area pig living an easy life. His Iron Crosses were "earned" by being jammed firmly up the ass of the officer recommending

I've read this too, but somehow, being good at ass-kissing, and brownnosing, and getting in good with officers doesn't strike me as compatable with AS(if Hitler had AS.) Hitler would have had to play an awesome social game to get on this good with his CO's for them to award him cereal-box medals. I'm just not sure. The German Army was quite socially stratified and harsh at this time so he would have really had to 'keep things together' socially for years.

Also, if they were going to hand him medals for nothing as they liked him so much, why didn't get get promoted past being a lowly Lance-Corporal? His officers said that he "wasn't suited" for promotion as an officer, but he at least could have made a simple sergeant or something, especially given his enthusiasm for the war?

Quote:
As for technical college: Hitler is recorded as being happiest when studying up close with Speer his vast and intricate architectural models, spending many hours with his toy Reichstag etc pointing out interesting features and so on, right up until the end of the war, even when it was clear that there was no hope of such things ever being built. Architecture is a very technical pastime, and by all accounts he was quite good at it. He doesn't appear to have been the floaty wifty artsy type at all. Even the architecture itself is brutal and iron-handed, imposing itself on the landscape and dominating it.

Mabye.......... Playing amateurishly with architectural models is alot different and much more fun than having to work on low-level stuff using fine motor skills. I suspect Hitler didn't enjoy his mundane lessons as a boy having to study mechanics and stuff like that.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:55 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:
Recent documents have suggested that far from being a bullet-dodging hero running messages between frontline units, Herr Hitler was in fact a REAR AREA messenger, a monumental toady and inveterate ass-kisser, mostly reviled by his fellows as a rear area pig living an easy life. His Iron Crosses were "earned" by being jammed firmly up the ass of the officer recommending

I've read this too, but somehow, being good at ass-kissing, and brownnosing, and getting in good with officers doesn't strike me as compatable with AS(if Hitler had AS.) Hitler would have had to play an awesome social game to get on this good with his CO's for them to award him cereal-box medals. I'm just not sure. The German Army was quite socially stratified and harsh at this time so he would have really had to 'keep things together' socially for years.

Also, if they were going to hand him medals for nothing as they liked him so much, why didn't get get promoted past being a lowly Lance-Corporal? His officers said that he "wasn't suited" for promotion as an officer, but he at least could have made a simple sergeant or something, especially given his enthusiasm for the war?

Quote:

Mabye.......... Playing amateurishly with architectural models is alot different and much more fun than having to work on low-level stuff using fine motor skills. I suspect Hitler didn't enjoy his mundane lessons as a boy having to study mechanics and stuff like that.

Hitler despised intellectuals, which is why he gathered around him a coven of boozy thugs and meatheads, and favoured his yearly gatherings to reminisce about "the good old days" when they were running around smashing windows and beating up communists. I got the impression from a lot of evidence about his early life that he had a serious problem with people telling him what to do, or that he was wrong, which of course only got worse as he got more powerful. Actually knuckling down and learning something solid doesn't really fit in to that. Likewise, a study of his reading habits suggests that he flitted from book to book, digging out bits at random that suited his favourite arguments.

Having said that, reputedly Adolf was a bugger from memorizing great reams of intricate details about logistics and emplacements and unit stats (like a train spotter almost) and using such trivia to win arguments with his generals, so clearly he COULD learn things when he felt like it. However, learning facts simply to get one over on your opponents is probably not a good way to get ahead in school, even if it does mean you get to deploy the army where YOU feel like it.

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2010, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Having said that, reputedly Adolf was a bugger from memorizing great reams of intricate details about logistics and emplacements and unit stats (like a train spotter almost) and using such trivia to win arguments with his generals, so clearly he COULD learn things when he felt like it. However, learning facts simply to get one over on your opponents is probably not a good way to get ahead in school, even if it does mean you get to deploy the army where YOU feel like it.

I think Hitler could focus on specific details that he enjoyed studying like unit insignia, but he had almost no conception of "the big picture," ............. especially when it came to wartime strategy. Having said that though, I think Hitler's decision to change his political strategy after the beer-hall putsch from agitation and street-violence to a more subdued strategy of winning elections and then taking over the German Government from within was brilliant.

Hitler could get away with alot in the 1930's as his political opponents in England and France were largely cautious and privileged men who were only seeking maintenance of the status quo. England and France were still psychologically wracked by WWI and the Great Depression and were not countries that were too eager to get involved in another major war over small pretexts like Anschluss. Hitler realized that he could get away with a good deal of aggrandizement in the East.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:53 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:

I think Hitler could focus on specific details that he enjoyed studying like unit insignia, but he had almost no conception of "the big picture," ............. especially when it came to wartime strategy. Having said that though, I think Hitler's decision to change his political strategy after the beer-hall putsch from agitation and street-violence to a more subdued strategy of winning elections and then taking over the German Government from within was brilliant.

Hitler could get away with alot in the 1930's as his political opponents in England and France were largely cautious and privileged men who were only seeking maintenance of the status quo. England and France were still psychologically wracked by WWI and the Great Depression and were not countries that were too eager to get involved in another major war over small pretexts like Anschluss. Hitler realized that he could get away with a good deal of aggrandizement in the East.

From what I recall, his eye for details would mostly be deployed thusly:

Von Rundstedt: We do not have the supplies to launch an attack against the British yet in this area.

Hitler: Interesting you should say that, because isn't that the 21st Panzer? Were they not fully equipped and refitted only a week ago? In fact only the other day I was reading the shipping manifests for the 15th of June and it clearly stated that 21st Panzer were shipped 800 tonnes of 88mm, over a hundred barrels of pork rinds and a small dog.

Von Rundstedt: Well..yes..but..

Hitler: Then the 21st Panzer IS fully supplied, right down to the unit mascot, little Dieter, and thus shall attack the British. See it is done.

and so forth in annoying manner.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:09 pm

I don't know why anyone wants to focus on this because it could very well be true, but not because of his actions during the holocaust so much as his general idiosyncrasies and from what I've read about his personal life.

If he did have it I don't even think it was mild but it's important to remember that he could have been a sociopath at the same time. I don't think AS is what made him do what he did. Perhaps someone with AS has a brain that could develop into something like Hitler's more easily, but I don't think most people with AS are born misanthropic.

If he did have AS that certainly wasn't the the worst of his problems.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:11 pm

Hitler must have believed that the earlier successes must have mean't that nothing could beat Germany. He acted this way while in his Berlin bunker, telling his generals that the two massive tank and infantry units could beat the Russians and send them back towards Russia and the units could come and keep Berlin safe. There were so such units, what there were were two small units, undermanned and tired of fighting. Hitler, believed what he wanted to believe. For this and more, Bruno Ganz plays it brilliantly in Downfall.

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2010, 2:51 am

I think Hitler was in over his head after 1942 as capable foreign leaders and generals took over from their cautious predecessors to step up the leadership level of allied resistance. The Allies too also had tremendous economic advantages and population advantages which helped them greatly in a war of attrition.

Hitler made statements in 1938 about how soft the democratic leaders of England and France were, and that Germany and Italy held their biggest advantage over the democracies as the allied leaders like Chamberlain were no match for the "vigorous personalities" of the fascist leaders. He stated that no such capable opponents existed to him in the Allied camp. Hitler was half-right in that he definitely had the will to fight and take risks, and that Chamberlain and Daladier at Munich would make many concessions to avoid war. Germany in 1938 was the nation that wanted war, and the German army had that burning desire to fight and revenge itself against France. Fascism was the vigorous expansionst ideology, and the British and French were directionless and unaggressive.

The French had suffered terribly in WWI and had lost around 1.6 million men in combat, with millions more maimed and wounded. 3 of 10 Frenchmen between the ages of 17 - 45 died in WWI. This kind of loss had a terrible effect on the French population, workforce, and national psyche. Even though right-wing nationalism was a strong force in France at this time, almost no-one in France, even the French Generals, had the slightest desire for another war with Germany. The French Generals actually wanted to fight the Soviet Union at this time, as they considered Communism the main enemy of France, not Nazism.................. The French CnC, Gamelin, spent a large amount of time during the phony-war drawing up serious plans for an Allied expeditionary force to attack Baku and seize the oil wells there(as if France would really fight Germany and Russia at the same time.) Gamelin really was planning this though, but the French expeditionary force objective was changed to Finland at first to help the Finns, but finally was deployed to Norway to fight the German attack there.

France did not want to fight Germany at all because the French Generals and nation considered honor satisfied by the 1918 settlement and the return of Alsace-Lorraine. For the French Right-wing, it was Communism that was the dangerous idealogy perverting France in the 1930's. The French right-wing actually held sympathies with Hitler and some desired a similar Fascist coup in France. "Better Hitler to Blum," they said. Blum was the leader of the pan-leftist Popular Front government.

Hitler was able to read the 7 or 8 various French premiers of the 30's like a book, and correctly guess that they would not risk a war with him. Chautemps, Sarraut, and other forgettable names felt they had no mandate or the proper backing from their compromise governments to prepare for another war with Germany. Thanks to the WWI losses and sterile birthrate, the French manpower levels were terribly low in the 1930's, and the French Army itself had ossified since WWI. The French Army changed nothing about its tactics or equipment since 1918 and had only added a few hundred new tanks and planes in the 22 years it had to prepare for WWII.

The French Army had basically returned to its thinking of the 1870 war, where it failed to go on to the offense in Germany and had thus been totally defeated by an aggressive federal army. Gamelin had no desire or plans to penetrate the German frontier. Instead, France's major military effort in the 1930's had been to construct the Maginot line defenses, which merely tied down the French Army in the comforts of underground forts in which they were surrounded. Gamelin had planned for WWII feeling that the tactics would pick right up from WWI static warfare.

France was a shell of what it was in 1940 when Hitler attacked it. France had a tremendous army in 1914 that was completely willing to fight and very well prepared(except for the lack of Heavy Artillery or machine guns.) In 1940, France waited to be attacked and handed the all-important initiative over to Hitler............ Gamelin did exactly what Manstein wanted him to do, and rushed half of the French Army into Belgium as the Germans attacked there with light forces(and the French were conveniently opposed by few air-attacks as they rushed northwards to be eventually cut off by the Panzer-thrust at Sedan. Gamelin made the fatal error of leaving no French strategic reserve to 'plug the hole' at Sedan. He lined all of his armies up side by side on the frontier with absolutely no backup to cut off a German breakthrough.

Anyway, as leaders like Gamelin were replaced by DeGaulle, Chamberlain by Churchill, Hitler found that he had stronger competition from his foreign adversaries. Hitler had not planned strategically for his next move after the Battle of France. Hitler was in uncharted strategic territory for Germany. It was easy enough to overrun France but crossing into England was another consideration entirely for which no real plans had been made. The German Navy was entirely insufficient.

Like Napoleon, it seemed the best option for Hitler was to begin to try and pick off British colonies.

Still though, once Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin ran into some luck and stalled the German Armies, the superior resources of the Allies could come into play, to win a war of attrition. After 1942, the Allies really began to just use the enormous economic advantages that they already possessed. Hitler had even said in 1938 or so that he "had to win the war by 1943 because by that time(as the Soviet Union was rearming after the purges,) that the economic power of the combined Allies would be so against him that any of his efforts to expand would be impossible.

By the time of the Battle of Kursk, even 17 German Panzer divisions had no hope of defeating the Red Army or subduing the Soviet Union. The Red Army was just too strong by 1943 numerically and was even able to create a mass strategic reserve at Kursk that did nothing but just feed fresh units in piecemeal where they were needed, in addition to the rest of the Soviet Army. For all of their skill, the Germans could not match these numbers.