Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:58 pm

Mercurial wrote:
I'm "obsessed" with sci fi and Shakespeare, but I don't think my obsessions manifest the same as with a man with AS. Like men I know who share these special interests, I don't have a need to go to Comic Con or Star Trek conventions, and I don't like trying to impress people with my knowledge of Shakespeare or being a "Bardolater" (they're superfans of the Shakespeare world). I just want to engage in my interests, in my own way, usually by myself. With my obsessions, I want to be proficient and knowledgeable, but I need to experience them and engage in them more than being able to rattle off this or that detail. I'm terrible, for example, with remembering the details of every episode of Babylon 5 or Stargate SG1, but I need to watch those shows. I have my personal "canon" of sci fi literature that I have to have on hand to read when I need it, and I frequently reread the same books over and over. I don't need to be able to quote Shakespeare, but I need to be able to spend time reading or listening to the Arkangel recordings. It's actually hard for me to get through the day without some sci fi or Shakespeare. My obsessions are like sleep--I need time with them, or my brain just doesn't work right.

I may not be as "obsessive" about my obsessions as some people, but they DO take me away from the rest of the world and from other people. They can isolate me and infringe on my ability to maintain relationships with other people, and I think that is what defines them as an Aspie obsession. And in that regards, I am quite intense about my obsessions. They are not up for negotiation. I have to have them. I can't function without them. I will become utterly dysfunctional if I can't have my time, by myself, away from everyone else, with these interests.

Basically, me too :) Though I don't have the sci-fi interest anymore. I used to categorize all my sci-fi videos and watch them repeatedly as well.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 10:34 pm

Kiseki wrote:
Aww, sorry to hear you had so few friends in HS. I had several other weird, artsy people I could relate to. Basically we were all misfits but they never did what I did in class!

Thank you for the comments! Wish I still had all those whack stories from HS :)

You're welcome! lol, I wish I'd saved some of mine too...

Lucky you to have had other people to relate to in school, while being the rebel among your group!

Yeah, having not many friends was kind of lame but my younger was pretty popular and his social circle knew me by default. So I always knew people, mostly guys. Funny most of them were in my year (he was a grade lower than me) and more tolerable of my weirdness than others. On my own, I got along best with the "misunderstood" kids.