Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

This thread is for discussing tips that help enhance your social status through body language. A lot of NT's have to learn these things manually also, surprisingly enough.

Alpha Male paradigm comes mostly from within, but that's not to say that external improvements can't help that inner transformation. For example, if you work on certain body language, over time, you're bound to start feeling different. When you're feeling that difference, it'll be much easier to implement these tips in a more casual way, without all the strenuous conscious effort.

Tip: Pretend there's a straight rope coming from your solar plexus, and pulling your front upward. If you're unfamiliar with the solar plexus, look it up. This tiny exercise will pull your shoulders back and puff your chest out. Master this through repetition and you've mastered a giant chunk of Alpha Male body language: Posture.

Tip: Relax. Unless you're in a hurry, you have no reason to walk fast. You're taking it easy, which means your movements are slow, calculated, few and far between. How do you move around when you're at your most comfortable? Perhaps you're most comfortable when alone in your house without any threats in the area? You're probably moving slowly when in that state of calm relaxation. Take that mindset and begin expanding it to the outside world. You may feel anxious outdoors, especially when you're around a lot of people. Practice relaxing.

More later. If you're really itching to learn more, I suggest Googling "Alpha Male Body Language", reading articles, and finding a commonality between all of those articles (wide commonality between different studies on the same subjects such as body language heightens its chances of being accurate).

If you've learned anything you'd like to share or discuss, please do so.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:13 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:27 pm

That's not "alpha male body language", those are simply tips on how to look normal and project the same "shields" as normal people, so you don't get trampled either verbally or physically.

I already do all those things described, but I still can't yell over people at a party, nor can I make a room go quiet and listen to me.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:56 pm

well, some of us are tall as hell and cant really walk at a snails pace because of having long legs n stuff. Slowing myself down even further actually causes pain in my legs so whatev :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 6:41 pm

Well to hell with me for trying.

monsterland wrote:
That's not "alpha male body language", those are simply tips on how to look normal and project the same "shields" as normal people, so you don't get trampled either verbally or physically.

I already do all those things described, but I still can't yell over people at a party, nor can I make a room go quiet and listen to me.

Try to stop doing it, and see what happens, whether positive or negative.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 6:54 pm

Some of that doesn't sound bad -- the standing up straight stuff, for example. Personally, I don't think that kind of thing is going to catapult someone into alpha guy status, but it may cut down on the number of jerks who see you as an easy target.

When I was a teen I did tend to walk looking at my feet, and when I straightened up things like people yelling at me out their car window and such dropped to nearly zero. So, it does make a difference. So I got less crap, but that was it.

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 7:05 pm

You're right in that people tend to automatically have more respect for those with good posture. They believe right off the bat that you have the means to take them down if you mess with them.

As soon as I began using Alpha Male body language, interacting with women became much easier, and they began responding to me like they never had before. I encourage anyone reading this thread to try it out for themselves, and to ignore any naysayers who are too negative and cynical to try it.

Try it out. Judge for yourself based on experience.

Last edited by A_Spock_Darkly on 27 Aug 2010, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 7:07 pm

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:

Obviously, negative, because at one point I was not doing them, and it took a lot of work for me to learn them. Duh.

My point is, it does not magically make me into an alpha male. Alpha males, first of all, are extroverts at the core. That just won't happen.

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

monsterland wrote:
A_Spock_Darkly wrote:

Obviously, negative, because at one point I was not doing them, and it took a lot of work for me to learn them. Duh.

Then excellent, you admit openly to its positive aspects.

Quote:
My point is, it does not magically make me into an alpha male.

No. It doesn't.

Quote:
Alpha males, first of all, are extroverts at the core.

No, not necessarily.

How many of Clint Eastwood's characters could be described as "extroverts"? Few. Yet most of them fit the Alpha Male paradigm. There's a difference between extrovert and assertive.

Quote:
That just won't happen.

It's not my job to completely revamp your self-esteem.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
help enhance your social status through body language.

Alpha Male paradigm comes mostly from within, but that's not to say that external improvements can't help that inner transformation. For example, if you work on certain body language, over time, you're bound to start feeling different. When you're feeling that difference, it'll be much easier to implement these tips in a more casual way, without all the strenuous conscious effort.

More later. If you're really itching to learn more, I suggest Googling "Alpha Male Body Language", reading articles, and finding a commonality between all of those articles (wide commonality between different studies on the same subjects such as body language heightens its chances of being accurate).

If you've learned anything you'd like to share or discuss, please do so.

Not every female likes males like this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri13wHUvvbs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqHCZc-Sml0[/youtube]

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 4:41 am

A useful insight. I find walking tall (not too tall) and straight and with calm, controlled purpose helps to keep people from bothering me. It's good for the body and mind too. I would recommend a short yoga course to anyone.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2010, 9:08 am

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
This thread is for discussing tips that help enhance your social status through body language. A lot of NT's have to learn these things manually also, surprisingly enough.

That's a very good point, we aren't rare defective specimens in a world of perfect beings.

Quote:
For example, if you work on certain body language, over time, you're bound to start feeling different. When you're feeling that difference, it'll be much easier to implement these tips in a more casual way, without all the strenuous conscious effort.

This is true.

Quote:
Alpha Male paradigm

This seems unnecessary.

Trying to pretend you are something you are not is not a good solution. Working with what you have, improving your posture, feeling more comfortable in your own skin, is good for anyone, male or female. When people say 'be yourself' what they really mean is 'accept yourself and learn to be comfortable as yourself'. It's actually necessary to do this first, even if you choose to upgrade or restyle the basic model. Portraying confidence is part of the learning process; posture and body language are learned as much through muscle memory (motor learning) as through cognitive processes. In fact, it may be necessary to consciously unlearn tense body language.

Quote:
Tip: Posture.
Tip: Relax. Practice relaxing.

Yes. Practise. In public, even if you only manage a few minutes here and there to begin with. Be a relaxed observer.

Moog wrote:
A useful insight. I find walking tall (not too tall) and straight and with calm, controlled purpose helps to keep people from bothering me. It's good for the body and mind too. I would recommend a short yoga course to anyone.

Seconded.
Yoga, Alexander Technique, a gentle martial art - the basic idea is to improve the posture of both body and mind.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2010, 9:13 am

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
How many of Clint Eastwood's characters could be described as "extroverts"? Few. Yet most of them fit the Alpha Male paradigm. There's a difference between extrovert and assertive.

Interesting idea, but I don't see the analogy. There is a big difference between extrovert and assertive, but Clint Eastwood's character repertoire is that of the Lone Maverick anti-hero. Yes assertive, yes comfortable in his own skin - taciturn, separate, a loner. His own person.

The position of alpha-male is one where support and loyalty from others is given in exchange for strength, security and leadership. It's a two-way process. In actuality the role of alpha is one where there is always the need to be watchful for challenge, and to foster and maintain loyalties. Without a group structure there is no alpha. Wouldn't an idealistic human equivalent of alpha be something like Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:NG)?

Quiet confidence is an admirable trait in anyone, because genuinely confident people tend to treat others with respect.

And the Clint Eastwood paradigm could be (not sure on this) more of a close match to the 'bad guys' that women are supposed to yearn for. Confident, self-assured, able to deal with things, has a sense of justice. The 'bad guy' part - he's a loner, a wanderer, unlikely to stick around. Oh yes, and he often goes around shooting people - not such a good quality.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2010, 11:05 am

ladyrain wrote:
A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
Without a group structure there is no alpha. Wouldn't an idealistic human equivalent of alpha be something like Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:NG)?

Quiet confidence is an admirable trait in anyone, because genuinely confident people tend to treat others with respect.

Gamma..
and yes.. that would be nice..
ever look at brain waves of the different types?

mmmmm..

for me, Beta or Gamma types are the best.. I have no interest in the sleepers..

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm

So you're suggesting that it will seem impressive to puff your chest out and swagger slowly about? I like this, but for the wrong reasons i.e. that it would look really funny. :jester:

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
Quote:
Alpha males, first of all, are extroverts at the core.

No, not necessarily.

Dude.

It's. A. f*****g. Movie.

I've never seen introverted alpha males. They're ALWAYS loud, obnoxious and quite obviously extroverted.

If there's an "assertive" introvert in the crowd, their voice and behavior will always be trumped by a real alpha male, who has been an alpha male their whole life, and to whom it isn't some "learned skill".

Quote:
It's not my job to completely revamp your self-esteem.

That is a clever response, but I was referring to one's inability to permanently change from introverted to extroverted behavioral mode. No need to get into personal attacks.