Bad handwriting and job applications

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

birds
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2010, 11:35 pm

I have dysgraphia, and my handwriting is terrible. Nearly illegible. Lately, I've been thinking about applying for a job, but I'm worried that my application will be tossed out as soon as they see my writing. Have any dysgraphia sufferers had experience in this area, and do I have anything to worry about?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 12:30 am

Yes. My school once made me use a typewriter. It was difficult getting everything spaced right with it. Honestly my handwriting doesn't suck, my hand just cramps easy and it's really small but I was told since it was so small they would automatically throw it out.

Why would someone throw out an application because the handwriting was too small?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 12:30 am

I used an old fashioned typewriter.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

kip
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 2:01 am

Most larger companies now a days have online apps. It's been a godsend, I cain't even read my own handwriting half the time.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 9:00 am

I have horrid handwriting too and out of all the jobs I've applied for, only one of them required me to handwrite something - it was for a social trainer position working with the intellectually disabled, where they wanted to see on-the-spot proof of my English competency. Otherwise, every application has been done on the computer and my resume's also on my computer. I usually just write out cover letters in Open Office and attach that and a copy of my resume to an email.

If you have to personally hand a resume over, just print one off from the computer. Computers have made life much easier in that regard.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!