Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 8:56 am

Has anyone ever noticed how things go crazy everytime there is a full moon in the sky?

Tonight in Eastern Australia there is a full moon and earlier I was in quite a depressed and paranoid mood. I think the moon is to blame :wink: .
Back when I had a social life, I used to notice that more people than usual acted like idiots when they were out on the town clubbing, when this moon phenomenon occurred. I call them idiots because they would do things like get into fights, shout and hoot at passers by, other behavior that can be called idiotic. I would see these people and look to the sky and lo and behold, there was a full moon. It is sometimes reported that there is a dramatic influx of patients to psych wards during full moons.

I joined WP during last months full moon 8O .

Comments?

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2006, 10:55 pm

Don't think it''s the full moon...I think it's just NT's with too much alcohol ;) I was in Austin TX last weekend, and that full moon was sure bright!

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2006, 5:37 am

Yeah, you're probably right :) . I wasnt drinking on most of these nights so everyone elses behavior seemed kinda despicable. It's just appeared to me like the amount of stupid behavior seemed to explode every few weeks.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2006, 10:19 am

The association with of a full moon with craziness probably came into existance like this. Throughout most of history, there was no artificial lighting at night. As a result, most people simply slept. However, when the moon was out, it provided some light, oftentimes enough to perform some late-night work, relax on the porch, or even walk to nearby pub. When the moon was full, there was more light at night than usual, so more people were out and about: working, relaxing, or socializing. As we all know, when a lot of people (especially NTs) are put into one area, craziness happens. Since that was the case during the full moon, that's how such an association came about.

ErikMouse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2006, 4:03 am

blue_bean wrote:
Yeah, you're probably right :) . I wasnt drinking on most of these nights so everyone elses behavior seemed kinda despicable. It's just appeared to me like the amount of stupid behavior seemed to explode every few weeks.

What about stupid behavior such as people looking to buy shotguns and silver bullets to go hunting werewolf during a full moon?

"I'm very kind, and easy to please! I'll be your friend, if you give me some cheese!"

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2006, 6:54 am

Aspie1 wrote:
The association with of a full moon with craziness probably came into existance like this. Throughout most of history, there was no artificial lighting at night. As a result, most people simply slept. However, when the moon was out, it provided some light, oftentimes enough to perform some late-night work, relax on the porch, or even walk to nearby pub. When the moon was full, there was more light at night than usual, so more people were out and about: working, relaxing, or socializing. As we all know, when a lot of people (especially NTs) are put into one area, craziness happens. Since that was the case during the full moon, that's how such an association came about.

Rubbish. A sweet-sounding theory that completely falls apart when you look at the facts. First off, the ability to create fire easily predates the creation of written language: there in fact WAS artificial light for all recorded history. The lighting of villages at night with oil lamps, candles and bonfires is pretty close to universal behavior, even for really primitive societies. Most nomadic cultures even do this.

A more likely explanation: many cultures believed since ancient times that demons, witches, and supernatural beings came out during the full moon. As science progressed, people who believed in demons etc. were increasingly thought of as crazy, or at least hopelessly naive. Eventually, instead of people saying demons came out during the full moon, people said crazy people came out during the full moon... the crazy people being the ones who would go off about witches and the like at these times.

http://jellynail.vox.com/