Visual thinkers and learning MATH

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2010, 10:57 am

My 1st grader is having a heck of a time learning math concepts.
He's extremely visual.
I never realized how wordy math is. It has its own vocabulary, so it's super tough for Tenzin.

Any tips? Approaches that worked for your child?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

Posting the same thread twice is against the rules.

Posting the same thread twice is against the rules.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 12:39 pm

You have to put it into visual perspective. So for addition or subtraction you can get beans and count them out. It also helped my daughter to teach her how to create a number line. Then she can visually count the problem on the line. http://www.helpingwithmath.com/printabl ... mber02.htm

We also have the number chart that helps greatly. http://www.helpingwithmath.com/printabl ... hart01.htm

If word problems are a hassle just break them down for him and draw the problem.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2010, 3:28 pm

I have discalculia and often made little mistakes when in elementary school. I understood the concepts, but made basic mistakes and reversed numbers. My mom used flash cards which helped me.

We won't talk about higher math :wink:

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm

With my DS, we didn't know he was an Aspie in 1st grade, but we had the same issue. We used objects whenever it made sense. We often used pennies, as they are easy to stack. this matters when you are getting into bigger numbers. When it was smaller numbers we used whatever DS was interested in. It was all so obvious to him once he translated it into something tangible.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 4:29 pm

Get a diagnosis of dyscalcilia and incorporate special interests. That's the only thing that helped me...even into higher math.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 1:10 am

My teacher had me use scratch marks which she called sticks. I had to write short lines on the paper when counting and then I learned to count on my fingers. Then I also had to memorize the times tables. I never got to memorize addition or subtraction because I was in a self contained classroom so it was always counting on my fingers. I did use tiles to do double digit maths when I was eight until I learned I can go back to one on my fingers after I run out. But I would count so fast I always got the answers wrong. I was also visual.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 3:53 am

Maybe try using math to solves 'Real World' practical problems. Yet also try to avoid making them like the convoluted story problems provided in most school text books.

Like subtracting and adding foods from the fridge as meals are made or groceries are added back in.

Strangely, I never memorized the whole multiplication table either. I learned to sort of reconstruct it instead. If I wanted the answer to 5x5 I would simply add up 5+5+5+5+5. Eventually, I remembered some multiplication just from repetition, but often I would do it the 'hard way' because I firmly felt memorizing it was a stupid waste of time.