Microsoft is trying to make Linux illegal again

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:10 am

Brianm wrote:
I've never used Linux. All I've used is Windows. I've heard though that there aren't very many programs available for linux. Open Office isn't too bad, but it's still not as good as Microsoft Office. I've used both by the way. I've so many bad experiences with Open Source trying to get them to work. There's some open source that's good, but most of it isn't.

My package manager indicates that I have 32196 programs available to install whenever I want them. There are even more that I can find online.

To expand on LotM's point: Linux/UNIX is really the main operating system of the world. Windows only exists on the desktop, and there only because it has a lot of market inertia behind it that has prevented desktop UNIX from taking over. Unix dominates the server market; almost all servers run Linux or some other version of Unix. Virtually all major supercomputers run Unix, because you need a Unix system to do any serious work and Unix is scalable enough to be able to take advantage of really powerful hardware. The smartphone market is also massively dominated by Unix—the iPhone runs a stripped-down version of OS X, which is derived from BSD Unix, and Android is based on Linux—because Unix is more resource-friendly than Windows NT.

Windows is a toy. It's good for gaming, but it's deficient in almost every other area.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 11:02 am

Not to mention Windows has major issues with portability. Desktop Windows only runs on AMD64 and Intel x86-64. If you want to use Windows for some other purpose, you need a completely different version. For servers you need Windows Server 2003 or 2008. For smart phones you need Windows CE, which is hardly Windows because it uses a completely different kernel. Linux will run on almost any CPU architecture, and is portable to many different types of computers.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 4:39 pm

Windows isnt quite ready for web use yet.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2010, 7:10 pm

I never said Linux was bad. In fact I'd to develope software for othe operating systems, but I haven't had time to try downloading. I tried once, but I didn't try again. As I said I've never used Linux so I don't know how good it is. I just prefer to try things myself and see how it fits my needs wrather than trusting others. Someday I'll probably try Linux, but right now I have software I'm working on.