Are others indifferent towards their own Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:39 pm

This is just something I've always wondered. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with Aspergers, but I was diagnosed with it when I was 8 years old. When I was a little kid I kind of became obsessed with it and wanted to tell everybody in the world I had Aspergers, but as I got older I just kind of stopped caring. Like it no longer became such a big deal to me.

I still take medicine for it which helps with my anxiety and OCD. I've pretty much just accepted that it's something I have and that everybody has something wrong with them but that doesn't really mean there's something wrong with them. I've never really been an Autism Activist just like I've never been a Gay Activist despite being homosexual.

But I was wondering if other people here are like that?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:51 pm

Most of the time I am.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 4:16 pm

With time, Asperger's becomes less of an issue, especially when, like me, you are gay also and there are so many other things to deal with. I was diagnosed just this past April, so it is on my mind at some point daily. You have been living with the diagnosis for twelve years, so, unless you were an activist, it's natural to not think about anymore often than you think about your hair color or your height. You certainly are not a bad person for merely forgetting about it and going on; live your life to the fullest.