Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:52 am

From BBC news this morning:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11437079

Quote:
The first direct evidence of a genetic link to attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder has been found, a study says.

Scientists from Cardiff University, writing in The Lancet, said the disorder was a brain problem like autism - not due to bad parenting...

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 2:33 am

I always thought it was, but still interesting.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 2:35 am

This also proves that TV and/or video games do not cause ADD.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 8:02 am

x_amount_of_words wrote:

still doesnt meant that environmental factors can't exacerbate it, bring out the ADHD even more, as long as the individual already has the genetic patterns for it.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

still doesnt meant that environmental factors can't exacerbate it, bring out the ADHD even more, as long as the individual already has the genetic patterns for it.

I agree, just like isolation is probably making my social defects even worse when it comes to autism.

I still think ADD is often a diagnosis given to children when their teacher can't handle them though.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:34 pm

My mom saw a psychiatric nurse last month for medication refills and the lady asked her if she had ADD. It is hard for her to keep one track in a conversations and yeah she can be easily distracted. I have recently been diagnosed ADHD, and I think maybe my daughter has some traits, so I don't doubt this (a genetic link) at all. My research indicates that these conditions are caused by certain areas of the brain being overdeveloped while others are underdeveloped, and it affects dopamine production. Forgive me for not having more technical explanations but I read it a few months ago and cant remember the parts of the brain. Anyway, this would indicate that it could be genetic. Playing video games should not be the cause because I was not raised with them, and neither was my mom. She is in her 60s! We both like playing them now, though!

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2010, 3:11 pm

There is a family down the street from my house that includes a husband, wife, two boys and a little girl. Everyone in that family, except for the little girl, noticably displays symptoms of ADHD. The older boy has an actual diagnosis for ADHD, and, strangely, the younger boy was diagnosed with Asperger's. The younger boy behaves very similarly to how his brother used to, except that the younger boy's tendencies appear to be more autistically enhanced. I sometimes wonder if ADHD and Asperger's are connected somehow. Also, though the two boys do play video games, their parents grew up in the old-fashioned out-in-the-country-with-nothing-but-your-imagination way.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 4:01 pm

I watched an in depth report on this earlier this evening and feel it's a lot of fuss about nothing. The researchers found that 15% of the cases they looked at had the genetic differences they are talking about. That means that 85% didn't. Plus they found the same genetic abnormality in 7% of children who didn't have ADHD.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

Squirrelrat wrote:
There is a family down the street from my house that includes a husband, wife, two boys and a little girl. Everyone in that family, except for the little girl, noticably displays symptoms of ADHD. The older boy has an actual diagnosis for ADHD, and, strangely, the younger boy was diagnosed with Asperger's. The younger boy behaves very similarly to how his brother used to, except that the younger boy's tendencies appear to be more autistically enhanced. I sometimes wonder if ADHD and Asperger's are connected somehow. Also, though the two boys do play video games, their parents grew up in the old-fashioned out-in-the-country-with-nothing-but-your-imagination way.

it isnt that strange. Hell, even I have the dual ADD/AS diagnosis. lets just say the ADFHD can put a somewhat annoying twist to it. Its VERY difficult for me to stay interested in what I do, and Iwill constantly flit from one thing to anoth. Couple this with the social difficulties of having AS, and yeah, it makes it VERY HARD to be interested in people at all, let alone feign it. Basically, think of Gir from invader zim.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Oct 2010, 4:18 am

It has taken this long for a conclusion. :roll:

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 10:53 pm

If it is genetic then why was it almost non-existent a generation or two ago?

When I was in elementary school about a million years ago, how many kids in my class were manic little monsters?
None.

If it is genetic then I would like to see the figures broken down by race. How many cases per thousand people among Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Orientals?

And if there are a lot of Chinese kids in America with ADHD then how does that number compare with mainland China?

I think the answer lies with all the additives and rubbish they put in the food these days.
I have read heaps of cases where kids (and one entire school in England) were put on a "good food only" diet and their mood and concentration improved out of sight within a couple of weeks.

I live in Melbourne Australia which is the asthma capital of the world. Why? Who knows? The air isn't polluted and there aren't many smoke belching factories. There must be a reason but no one knows what it is.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

In America, all kids have ADD
In Soviet Russia, all ADD have kids.

ADHDorASDorBoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2010, 8:47 am

Wow, an article about a group of "experts" telling everyone what is practically known already.

The polymorphisms relating to DRD4 genes duplicates/triplicated/more were theorised many times to be a link, but one of those wonderful meta-analysis trials did not agree.
It does not mean that some other genes are not affecting how dopamine is used.
Until they clarify totally, the possibility is there.
As for the ignorance behind the old "eating habits" and bad parenting, that is just amazing.

It seems that most research is deliberately throttled and minimal so as to only "discover" a bit more about "insert any topic that is worth $$$$$$/££££/€€€€€ etc to research" at any time, thusly ensuring the flow of coffee, biscuits, expensive "research" trips is not blockaded.

Who does novel research these days, independently?
Even if they are independent, one person can be discredited, whereas mighty groups of "experts" cannot be.

Quote:
"Only 57 out of the 366 children with ADHD had the genetic variant supposed to be a cause of the illness.
according to someone quoted in the article.

Well, that's a good start?!?!? :roll:

Apparently, the others had gene data missing that "normal" kids did not.
That's interesting.

Certainly, whilst researchers are given lavish grants and privilieges, they will never ever be held to maintain a "100% credible, multi-lab repeatable result"

Perhaps they should only be paid when their suggested research results are actually corroborated by other labs, not directly connected with them, around the world.

Also, the reverse dopamine in some brains' cells, going the wrong way, means that a person will be hyperkinetic (adhd-H) and untreatable by stimulants or dopaminergic drugs.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/07/09 ... /2578.html