Page 9 of 11 [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:42 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Let's suppose for a moment that God could have made such a thing as a "planet factory" like the one described in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Why wouldn't a depiction of the formation of the universe as related in Genesis be plausible if the earth was a special creation of God while while other celestial bodies are a separate creation? If you think about it, no region of the known universe yet appears to be friendly towards supporting life. Earth and the Terran solar system seem to be "just perfect" for the task, even with the remote possibility that we could move to Mars if we had a need for expansion. It is plausible that God could have made the Earth in His own sort of "workshop," giving it the special attention needed for the continued support of life until the Earth, its star, its satellite, and possibly everything else in the solar system could be hung in its place within the galaxy. Since Earth would have been God's top priority, there'd be no need for the sun at all until the primary support systems could be set in place.

A prophet being given a glimpse of how this occurred would have written the vision down as he saw it, and it makes sense God would only inspire that prophet to write those relevant events down in that way. Further, it also makes sense that, if the Bible only records the most relevant facts, that God would have shown creation in a series of "episodes" highlighting the main points of creation. Thus, each "day" need not be read as a 24 hour day, though it's possible, nor that (24 hours or not) the days were consecutive days. Only the chronological order of creation days need be preserved. If you believe that earth-dating is accurate (though it is also possible to call the evidence into question), this system of heaven as a "planet factory" or "workshop" would account for the apparent long periods of time indicated by a progression of adaptive variation (not to be confused with evolution), the fossil record that we DO have, the lack of plentiful transition fossils, or even radiological evidence of an "old" earth. Regardless of which side you're on, pro-Creation or pro-Evolution, neither really seem to render the other as implausible. As to how you go about determining the actual truth of one or the other is an entirely different topic.

now see, this kind of creationism is nowhere near as ridiculous as the 6-day literal interpretation.

danandlouie: my wife is a catholic and mocks the creation museum. that said, less than half of americans accept the theory of evolution.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:56 pm

waltur wrote:

danandlouie: my wife is a catholic and mocks the creation museum. that said, less than half of americans accept the theory of evolution.

Woe unto The Republic!

ruveyn

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:24 pm

AngelRho wrote:
If you think about it, no region of the known universe yet appears to be friendly towards supporting life. Earth and the Terran solar system seem to be "just perfect" for the task,

That would make sense if there were a few hundred thousand or even a couple of million planets in the universe, as we could quite feasibly check them all out. But this is not the case. As you are no doubt aware it is estimated that there are between 1 - 30 billion planets in our galaxy and approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe. Your statement above is just a massive strawman aimed at the gullible. As Dawkins points out even given massively absurd odds of (for instance) a billion to one that life will arise on a planet you still get the probability of at least 1 billion planets having some form of life, and as he also says the chance of finding one of those life bearing planets in a universe the scale of ours if like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Of course the irony of your opening statement regarding Magrathea being that Adams was a great observer of human behavior and some of the idiocies / absurdities that we carry on with.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:27 pm

Jookia wrote:
Tensu wrote:
I can't help but notice, Jookia, that you have stepped around an important question I've asked.

You believe in "right", but you have no way to prove that X or Y is "right" or that "right" even exists at all.

yet you dismiss other things that are similarly hard to prove as being most likely hoaxes or hallucinations.

my point is, if you find these things unworthy of your attention because they cannot be "proven" in a scientific sense, then why do you believe in "right", when the concept of "right" cannot be proven in a scientific sense?

So for now, let's focus on "right".

I stepped around it because this isn't related to the topic and I'm not going to keep playing in to questions like that where you can keep deconstructing to the point of questioning if anything exists.

I don't think you understand what I was trying to accomplish. If you would humor me for a while, you would see where I'm going with this, namely, I'm pointing out that the belief in right and wrong is a religious belief, not a scientific one. You have already accepted morality even though you have no proof of morality, thus to reject God because you have no proof of God is fallacious.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:26 pm

Tensu wrote:
I can't help but notice, Jookia, that you have stepped around an important question I've asked.

You believe in "right", but you have no way to prove that X or Y is "right" or that "right" even exists at all.

yet you dismiss other things that are similarly hard to prove as being most likely hoaxes or hallucinations.

my point is, if you find these things unworthy of your attention because they cannot be "proven" in a scientific sense, then why do you believe in "right", when the concept of "right" cannot be proven in a scientific sense?

as for Zeus and what not, I'd have to type pages upon pages explaining my thoughts on that, and I was hoping to start several threads on my ideas on the subject later, where they can be the full attention of the threads in question.

but there is much that I need to do before that can be done...

So for now, let's focus on "right".

http://www.project-reason.org/newsfeed/item/moral_confusion_in_the_name_of_science3/

that's a link to a great TED talk by sam harris where he gives an idea of scientific morality. underneath the video is a very long article written by harris that addresses a lot of the concerns people have had about the idea.

but if that's too much information, we can stick to "right." you believe in "right" but you don't understand how someone could differentiate between "right" and "wrong" without using "because -blank- says so?" really?

....really?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:29 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
That would make sense if there were a few hundred thousand or even a couple of million planets in the universe, as we could quite feasibly check them all out. But this is not the case. As you are no doubt aware it is estimated that there are between 1 - 30 billion planets in our galaxy and approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe. Your statement above is just a massive strawman aimed at the gullible. As Dawkins points out even given massively absurd odds of (for instance) a billion to one that life will arise on a planet you still get the probability of at least 1 billion planets having some form of life, and as he also says the chance of finding one of those life bearing planets in a universe the scale of ours if like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Unless, of course, we ARE the needle in the haystack.

And there is no straw man. Where is the evidence of a comparable system? The issue here is there is no empirical evidence of it as of yet. Last I checked, scientific reasoning tends to ignore that for which there is no evidence. Empirically speaking, it is not correct to say that life exists beyond our solar system. Moreover, it is not correct to say that even the CAPACITY for life exists. I think we're looking at the possibility of water beneath the the surface of a Jovian moon, which seems promising, but that's about it at the moment.

That leaves the possibility that other planets beyond our galaxy of a comparable age as or older than the Terran system. Now, in that kind of spread of time, it makes sense that there ought to be at least the same or better probability that life would arise. Perhaps such an advanced civilization could arise to make use of space travel and much more advanced technologies. If you're a conspiracy theorist or you watch the History Channel too much, you might say we have the evidence, it's just been covered up by various world governments. That hardly seems likely, though, since such evidence would be difficult to pass over or ignore. Not only that, but unfortunately more of the scientific community still regard UFOs and extra-terrestrials as pseudo-science. Enough time has passed, therefore we should have had more evidence by now.

But we don't. And your argument regarding "feasibility" just doesn't cut it. If life is so likely to develop in x-billion years, there ought to be an increased likelihood that we could readily find systems capable of fostering life. Only time will tell, but I suspect we already know the answer to that question.

Side note: I was using Magrathea more as a simile rather than a loose interpretation of Genesis. The idea here being, assuming God to be the Creator, that He has the power to create distinctly separate and different creations with the full intent of bringing them together at the proper time. I have no more evidence of that than you have of other regions of space being hospitable to the arrival of life, but given the wording of the order of Creation--light before sun--it does seem to make plausible sense that Earth was not created in conjunction with the rest of the universe, but rather that the universe was prepared for the arrival of Earth, the release of a specially-created planet made specifically for God's purpose and divided from the spiritual realm as soon as the universe was able to support it.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 12:09 am

Tensu wrote:
don't think you understand what I was trying to accomplish. If you would humor me for a while, you would see where I'm going with this, namely, I'm pointing out that the belief in right and wrong is a religious belief, not a scientific one. You have already accepted morality even though you have no proof of morality, thus to reject God because you have no proof of God is fallacious.

Morality is based on opinions and the way you were brought up in your society. Sure, religion can be an influence. But it's not required.
Morality is observed with almost every person, God is not.

But assuming morality is religion-based, why has it evolved over time? For the Christian religion, why are not still restricting women? Why don't we have slavery? Would it not stay the same as when it was first set? And what about before it was set? Did Moses beat people up and rape women before he carried two tombstones of commandments down the hill? Why not?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 3:56 am

AngelRho wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

And there is no straw man. Where is the evidence of a comparable system? The issue here is there is no empirical evidence of it as of yet. Last I checked, scientific reasoning tends to ignore that for which there is no evidence. Empirically speaking, it is not correct to say that life exists beyond our solar system. Moreover, it is not correct to say that even the CAPACITY for life exists. I think we're looking at the possibility of water beneath the the surface of a Jovian moon, which seems promising, but that's about it at the moment.

That leaves the possibility that other planets beyond our galaxy of a comparable age as or older than the Terran system. Now, in that kind of spread of time, it makes sense that there ought to be at least the same or better probability that life would arise. Perhaps such an advanced civilization could arise to make use of space travel and much more advanced technologies. If you're a conspiracy theorist or you watch the History Channel too much, you might say we have the evidence, it's just been covered up by various world governments. That hardly seems likely, though, since such evidence would be difficult to pass over or ignore. Not only that, but unfortunately more of the scientific community still regard UFOs and extra-terrestrials as pseudo-science. Enough time has passed, therefore we should have had more evidence by now.

But we don't. And your argument regarding "feasibility" just doesn't cut it. If life is so likely to develop in x-billion years, there ought to be an increased likelihood that we could readily find systems capable of fostering life. Only time will tell, but I suspect we already know the answer to that question.

Side note: I was using Magrathea more as a simile rather than a loose interpretation of Genesis. The idea here being, assuming God to be the Creator, that He has the power to create distinctly separate and different creations with the full intent of bringing them together at the proper time. I have no more evidence of that than you have of other regions of space being hospitable to the arrival of life, but given the wording of the order of Creation--light before sun--it does seem to make plausible sense that Earth was not created in conjunction with the rest of the universe, but rather that the universe was prepared for the arrival of Earth, the release of a specially-created planet made specifically for God's purpose and divided from the spiritual realm as soon as the universe was able to support it.

If nothing else I can only admire your voracious appetite for totally improbable fantasy.

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 4:08 am

waltur wrote:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

America must be a strange place. 8O

"How can it not know what it is?"

Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:44 am

AngelRho wrote:
Emotions are emotions, not chemical reactions. Chemical reactions are physical responses to feelings.

Baseless assertion.

Quote:
Without consciousness, a sense of self, or the soul, there is no guiding principle behind which chemical reactions have a guide.

The chemicals only follow the laws of chemistry. Do you really think they are subject to a mysterious force of the soul? Bend a spoon.

Quote:
Otherwise, emotions are unguided and chaotic. For example, without the human will, "falling in love" simply doesn't happen. Now, I think feelings of attraction can't be avoided unless a person outright avoids people. But the response to attraction is entirely under human control. Hence, we are not victims subject to the whims of attraction or the random releases of chemicals.

Is that simply what you feel, or because you are uncomfortable with this FACT?

Quote:
Further, not all responses are common to all human beings. The same thing that inspires rage in one person evokes indifference in another. We choose beforehand how we will respond to stimuli and act accordingly. The "chemical reactions" are servants to the will, not the other way around.

That is because the structure of different human brains are different.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 7:05 am

I'm gonna pick up the book 'The Grand Design' and look at it, it seems great to explain how the universe came about and science and all that stuff.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

09 Oct 2010, 9:36 am

AngelRho wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Just because something hasn't yet been proven doesn't automatically make it a hoax, lie, or hallucination. that is a very close-minded way of thinking.

Science is not math and therefore does not deal in "proofs" at all.
From an empirical standpoint, a concept with not a shred of evidence supporting it is PRECISELY a hallucination.

Tensu wrote:
and lust is a matter of chemicals. love is something entirely different.

Um. No. Love is a matter of chemicals as well, as are ALL our emotions. Research oxytocin.

Emotions are emotions, not chemical reactions. Chemical reactions are physical responses to feelings. Without consciousness, a sense of self, or the soul, there is no guiding principle behind which chemical reactions have a guide. Otherwise, emotions are unguided and chaotic. For example, without the human will, "falling in love" simply doesn't happen. Now, I think feelings of attraction can't be avoided unless a person outright avoids people. But the response to attraction is entirely under human control. Hence, we are not victims subject to the whims of attraction or the random releases of chemicals. Further, not all responses are common to all human beings. The same thing that inspires rage in one person evokes indifference in another. We choose beforehand how we will respond to stimuli and act accordingly. The "chemical reactions" are servants to the will, not the other way around.

I'm sorry. Insist that feelings are somehow "magical" and divorced from the physiological processes that cause them if you wish, but that's not reality. You can't "choose" to have a sudden release of chemicals in certain situations, this is a physical response to stimuli. Someone who references "souls" as being part of our emotive response obviously has a mystical view of all things scientific. :roll:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:27 am

AngelRho wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Actually, all possibilities are considered with regards to things that are testable but have not yet been tested. The first planets to have been discovered outside our solar system have been gas giants like Jupiter because our telescopes and equipment could not be sensitive enough to see planets the size of Earth. This will change however, since we now have techniques and telescopes in space, like Kepler, that can actually detect such planets. It is not correct to say that the capacity doesn't exist because it has not been ruled out.

Also, every single chemical element that makes up a living organism is also found in non-living matter and the rest of the universe. If Earth and it's life were a separate creation then why are we even made of the same matter as the rest of the Universe? The atoms that make us up were once forged in core of an exploding star. The Earth and every living thing that crawls on it is not separate from the rest of the universe but part of it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm

01001011 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Emotions are emotions, not chemical reactions. Chemical reactions are physical responses to feelings.

Baseless assertion.

Quote:
Without consciousness, a sense of self, or the soul, there is no guiding principle behind which chemical reactions have a guide.

The chemicals only follow the laws of chemistry. Do you really think they are subject to a mysterious force of the soul? Bend a spoon.

Anybody can bend a spoon with their hands. The mechanism exists, and any good anatomy/physiology textbook can explain that--this is high school stuff. What the anatomy/physiology CAN'T determine is from whence the decision comes to bend the spoon. Science doesn't ask those kinds of questions UNLESS it can be determined that there is some physically determining reason by which we should bend spoons at all--for example, a chemical imbalance as a determining cause for someone to obsessively or compulsively bend every spoon he sees. Science is simply not equipped to make determinations under normal operating circumstances as to the reasons why. I'm sure you could go around asking people why it is they bend spoons and show common causal relationship among spoon-benders, but the data gathered is anecdotal at best. This kind of data gathering is best left to psychological investigation, and whether psychology is a legit science is still occasionally debated (by the way, I was forced to study psychology as an integral part of my major, which was music education, and understanding book knowledge of psych and data collection didn't help me one bit with teaching. There is a wide gap between theory and practice, which in no way diminishes the value of psychology. My wife did complete a degree in psychology and has a little bit better knowledge of the subject than I do, and she can back me up on what psych is and isn't. Psych can seem hokey in its various approaches, but being a comparably "hokey" science will not preclude the men in white coats from picking you up and locking you up in a hospital if you express even the remotest hint of self-destructive thoughts. My wife would say "been there, done that," and the irony is, through no real fault of her own, she got to experience that whole side of her field from the perspective of an unwilling patient). The point is, spoon-bending is a decision that one can make for a number of reasons or perhaps no reason at all--simple boredom, even. There is no reason at all, no evidence at all to suggest that cognitive and physical behavioral patterns aren't subject to the decision-making processes of the psyche or soul. The process of thinking is generally an orderly process, not random, chaotic, or confused except when a flawed physical sensory interface feeds the mind misleading information. When everything is functioning normally, most people in general tend to make sensible decisions and act accordingly. The CNS obeys the will of the person who occupies it and provides a physical interface with the natural world. No need for me to stare endlessly at a spoon to get it to bend. If I want to bend a spoon, there is a sensible way to make that happen.

01001011 wrote:
Quote:
Otherwise, emotions are unguided and chaotic. For example, without the human will, "falling in love" simply doesn't happen. Now, I think feelings of attraction can't be avoided unless a person outright avoids people. But the response to attraction is entirely under human control. Hence, we are not victims subject to the whims of attraction or the random releases of chemicals.

Is that simply what you feel, or because you are uncomfortable with this FACT?

Notice how I used the words "I think" in the quote you took from me. Even I can admit when I've drawn conclusions based on what I DO know about things I don't know. You're certainly under no obligation to agree. It remains, however, that we ARE responsible for our responses to emotions or "chemical processes," either way. Any criminal can certainly and legitimately make a case for being under the influence of "random chemical processes" in a court of law if this is true; but this kind of defense never holds up UNLESS it can actually be determined that there really is a physiological problem. People even in Biblical times had enough sense to tell the difference, even if they had no way to determine the actual physiological processes involved. We are self-trainable to decide beforehand how we will respond in various situations. Random chemical processes do not adequately explain why this is and actually cause more problems than they actually explain.

01001011 wrote:
Quote:
Further, not all responses are common to all human beings. The same thing that inspires rage in one person evokes indifference in another. We choose beforehand how we will respond to stimuli and act accordingly. The "chemical reactions" are servants to the will, not the other way around.

That is because the structure of different human brains are different.

Not true. The basic structure and function of the CNS is NOT fundamentally different from person to person. It is a known fact that certain areas of the brain respond to certain types of stimuli, plus it is known that certain types of mental functions are affected by corresponding areas. Neurons DO have a limited mechanism for regeneration, and often groups of brain cells adapt to handle the activities normally associated with disaffected areas of the brain. If the basic structure and function of the CNS is NOT remarkably different from human to human, why are we so different? Well, we are different PEOPLE. Possessing a soul gives us our spiritual sense of identity. The CNS only helps us interface with the physical world around us. Ultimately we are responsible as individuals for our decisions.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 12:27 pm

Every one of your decisions is influenced by your personality, thoughts, your environment and intent. It's not as special as you think it is. If I want to prove free will exists, I can always raise my left arm and go 'there, I did that all by myself', lying as it was influenced by my intent of proving free will. I can push someone away from in front of a car because of my personality and environment. You replying to this post to prove me wrong is influenced by your personality, thoughts and intent.

All of this is done physically in your brain using chemicals and neurons. Note how depression is caused by chemicals.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 2:33 pm

BigK wrote:
waltur wrote:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

America must be a strange place. 8O

I'm glad I live in Britain, we seem to be at least a bit saner. As far as I know teaching evolution in science class has never really been much of an issue, not to mention Darwin's face is on every £10 note.