Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

Hi All-

Just wanted to let you all know that the teachers (with my approval) have been giving my 5 yr old gum in class. It seems to be helping some of the time with his noisemaking. It hasn't stopped it altogether, but has helped a bit. Just thought I would put this up for those who are interested in this!

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2010, 9:48 pm

That is great! Thank you for sharing your update and the tip!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm

I believe mint gum can also help with concentration (assuming it's mint and not fruity flavored.)

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 9:03 am

:D Glad to hear! Thanks for the update!

tv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2010, 3:55 pm

hi, thanks for update.
i can't get my son to chew gum, he hates the taste,texture of it.
Good to know it helps your kid.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 4:00 pm

tv wrote:
hi, thanks for update.
i can't get my son to chew gum, he hates the taste,texture of it.
Good to know it helps your kid.

We've gone with straws, in our house.

Our son was naturally drawn to chewing his shirts (want to know how stressful a day was? look to see how wet the favorite chew spots are) and pencils (the amount of wood and metal he may have consumed during school hours boggles my mind). We spent a lot of time trying to redirect him to something more appropriate, and straws were the best solution we found. He eventually settled on chewing his own tongue for school hours, since it is always available.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2010, 5:35 pm

I buy gum in mass quantities at Costco for that same purpose. My son eats half a pack at a time (to fill his mouth and get that major oral workout he's looking for). I wish they still made sugar gum because I'd rather he have real sugar than all that artificial sweetener he's now getting...

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 10:23 am

I know what you mean Caitlin, but my son has had issues with cavities, so I guess it is a catch 22!

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2010, 10:47 am

My son also has a mouth full of metal. I have heard this from many parents of kids on the spectrum - I wonder if it's part of the genetics of sensitivity (along with ear infections which also seem very common in babies who grow up to be identified as spectrum kids).

There is no other good reason why my son gets the kind of pervasive cavities he does, since we enforce good oral hygiene. His dentist outright told us there is nothing we can do to prevent his cavities because he's getting them ON TOP of already filled ones. The dentist feels he is just severely prone. We'll be getting him that protective coating on his teeth soon.

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2010, 11:35 pm

DW_a_Mom we use straws too, I have you to thank for that and I have to tell you it has been a life saver!! ! It has far from fixed the problem of book, chair, toy and yes, clothing chewing, but it is a great redirect and she is happy to use that when reminded.

When I was a kid I had some chewing tendencies myself, although I used to actually eat the things not just chew, I used to chew through pencils so I could eat the led... this was in the late 80's early 90's, I hate to think what that could have done to my body!! ! I had gall stones when I was 12 but aside from that I seem OK.

OP, Gum has been a popular thing in our house too but due to it being played with, I restrict access, it would be a really good tool if it wasn't so darn sticky!! ! :roll:

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:32 am

Yeah, we have found it on the floor a few times, but now my son has learned to take it to the trash when he is finished! I have also used straws in the past too!

Aimless1
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2010, 9:22 pm

Very interesting, my son has the same problem. I wonder if it might help him. Ill have to talk to his teacher, thanks for posting this!