where should I get a weighted blanket?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jenj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm

I would like to get my 12 yo son a weighted blanket for his twin bed. Can anyone recommend a company that does good work?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 12:48 pm

jenj wrote:
I would like to get my 12 yo son a weighted blanket for his twin bed. Can anyone recommend a company that does good work?

Yes....but unsure of your international location. For the U.S.A., Dream Catcher weighted blankets are great & they design to your own specifications with polyacrylamide beads. If you mention you are a member of the Wrong Planet then you receive a 10% discount! I imagine they'll ship overseas - unsure. Also, they have an exchange &/or used blanket program: www.weightedblanket.net

An important caveat: Do use those polyacrylamide beads! Do not buy a blanket made with rice, barley, or "organic" materials since it degrades with time, attracts vermin & insects (yuck!), and can mold or become rancid.

You could make one yourself but it's time-consuming & may be cheaper to just buy one. If you have the instructions (you can find online), then you could have a local seamstress make one.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm

I've been looking into one for my son too. There's one place that either uses the beads or small pebbles. They say to take into account that the beads weigh less. I'm glad to know about the 10 % discount . :)

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 1:10 pm

JenJ,

I designed the Cozy Calm weighted blanket, available in some stores and custom made at www.CozyCalm.com

Cozy Calm weighted blankets

I have autism, and I ordered over seven weighted blankets, but frankly, they were far from what I needed. So, I designed my own, for which I now have a patent pending. I have autism and SPD so I instantly knew the faults of all the other weighted blankets I tried. The makers meant so well, but if you don't have autism, how do you know?

If you are low on funds, as most parents are, you can see if you can get one for free through Project Linus, Project Linus or I recommend finding out if your medical insurance will pay for it.medical insurance

Also, since I am a parent of an ASD child (hm, genetic link?) and I have autism myself, I know the sinking dread when the occupational therapist says to get a weighted blanket, so I created a payment plan. It's costly for us, but families need it!!payment plan

--Eileen.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:18 pm

I'm going to bookmark your site for future reference. Good to know about you.

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 1:33 pm

Aimless wrote:

Thank you so much. Both my husband and I work from home, so I'm going to his office to get a hug--in true Aspie/Auttie fashion, a super tight hug. :-)

Eileen.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

Cozy_Calm wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Thank you so much. Both my husband and I work from home, so I'm going to his office to get a hug--in true Aspie/Auttie fashion, a super tight hug. :-)

Eileen.

What is it about bear hugs? :D

That was rhetorical, I know what it is about bear hugs. :P

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 2:17 pm

Quote:
What is it about bear hugs? Very Happy

That was rhetorical, I know what it is about bear hugs. Razz

I have always wondered what is a bear hug. In my mind, I see a big bear, hugging me to DEATH, with huge claws digging into my back, then I die.

I know that's an autism stereotype about the "literal" thing, but sometimes stereotypes are true because I don't get it.

My husband and I finally had a talk about my aversion to the "you eat an elephant one bite at a time." saying. I have been grossed out for years. About a week ago, I discussed with him what I was visualizing, now we talk about a huge cooked turkey for the metaphor.

I just hate the visual of sucking on the blood and ripping the skin of a dead elephant. Then I wondered, "Since I can eat only one bite at a time, that means in x days the elephant will rot depending on temperature and humidity, so will I die from the rotten meat? Oh, and on and on as I calculated."

Heck, I didn't know what it meant, and I still think it's GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs!

We made a roast chicken last night, so all is good. The metaphor means that if you have a huge project do it in small steps, so we are using the metaphors of a cooked turkey, which results in hot turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey in the freezer, and so on.

I prefer this one: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." I see that in my mind, and I smile.

Eileen.

RykerSJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2010, 4:49 pm

Abilitations