Difficulty Sleeping Without a Heavy Blanket

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:16 pm

Okay, this is weird but, ever since childhood, I've had trouble sleeping unless I had many blankets on top of me. I like the feeling of pressure and feel sort of unsafe sleeping under just a sheet. I can't understand people who can do this in summer or even sleep with NO blanket at all!

What kind of issue is this? Sensory or something else?

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2010, 4:24 pm

I am like this also. Not sure if it's sensory, but Temple Grandin describes the need for deep pressure, it could be related to this. I've stayed at a couple of hotels recently where the covers were very light and I had a very hard time sleeping.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:30 pm

I'm the same way as you, Kiseki. I feel "unsafe" if I'm not sleeping under heavy blankets. I dislike summer nights because my room gets so hot that I have no choice but to sleep with light covers. I love winter nights because I get to sleep underneath flannel sheets, a microfiber blanket and a bedspread! :)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:43 pm

Heavy blankets make me feel more secure unless I'm hot and/or sweaty, than I need as little coverage as possible.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:47 pm

If you don't already have one, you should get a weighted blanket. It's more convenient than stacking up a bunch of blankets, and a lot less hot. I don't always have to sleep with a heavy blanket but it helps a lot because I feel more comfortable. It's even nice to to wrap myself up with when I'm just sitting around watching tv or something, especially if im stressed over something. I think it's probably a sensory thing.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 5:28 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
If you don't already have one, you should get a weighted blanket. . .

Cool! Tell me about this.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 5:37 pm

I can't sleep without a lot of covers on. I need the weight on my legs. However, it often makes me very hot, but if I kick them off, I can't sleep because there's not enough weight.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:18 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:

Well, they're blankets that usually have poly beads inside them to make them heavy. they're used mostly for people with autism or different sensory needs, who like pressure, to help sleep and relax. There are a few websites that sell them, like www.weighteblanket.net and www.cozycalm.com

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:18 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I'm the same way as you, Kiseki. I feel "unsafe" if I'm not sleeping under heavy blankets. I dislike summer nights because my room gets so hot that I have no choice but to sleep with light covers. I love winter nights because I get to sleep underneath flannel sheets, a microfiber blanket and a bedspread! :)

I always sleep better on cold winter nights. In summer I crank the aircon up really high to simulate a cold night.

Wow, it's cool how many others on here share this same issue with me!

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:23 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:

Well, they're blankets that usually have poly beads inside them to make them heavy. they're used mostly for people with autism or different sensory needs, who like pressure, to help sleep and relax. There are a few websites that sell them, like www.weighteblanket.net and www.cozycalm.com

I've never heard of these before, but what an awesome idea! I'd love to have one...but wow, mighty expensive.

ReallyGoodName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2010, 6:28 pm

Kiseki wrote:
Okay, this is weird but, ever since childhood, I've had trouble sleeping unless I had many blankets on top of me. I like the feeling of pressure and feel sort of unsafe sleeping under just a sheet. I can't understand people who can do this in summer or even sleep with NO blanket at all!

I'm the exact same way. I could be so hot I'm soaked with sweat and still want a big blanket. I use one all the time really, not just when sleeping.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:38 pm

I have my duvet on and then a big heavy dressing gown on top of that like a blanket. i like the feeling of something heavyish on top of me

AnonymissMadchen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 6:58 pm

I've had the same problem. It's always hard to make the decision to use a different blanket when it's really hot.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 7:10 pm

I can't sleep without a comforter on. >.<

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2010, 8:54 pm

My weighted blanket is the best thing ever.

Bellacute
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2010, 9:44 pm

Kiseki wrote:

Exactly the same!! I've just moved to uni and before i left home my parents didn't like the thought of my sleeping under a heavy blanket cuz i often pull it right over my head in my sleep so they only let me have a light one, so i weighted it with my cat (who's spoilt and i miss dearly). It's weird now that i can't imitate it but the second my parents left campus i went out and bought a heavier blanket and i have attempted to mimick my cat with soft toy that wear heavy scarves or ribbons or hold flowers etc.