Difficulty Sleeping Without a Heavy Blanket

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bellacute
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2010, 9:44 pm

Kiseki wrote:
Okay, this is weird but, ever since childhood, I've had trouble sleeping unless I had many blankets on top of me. I like the feeling of pressure and feel sort of unsafe sleeping under just a sheet. I can't understand people who can do this in summer or even sleep with NO blanket at all!

What kind of issue is this? Sensory or something else?

Exactly the same!! I've just moved to uni and before i left home my parents didn't like the thought of my sleeping under a heavy blanket cuz i often pull it right over my head in my sleep so they only let me have a light one, so i weighted it with my cat (who's spoilt and i miss dearly). It's weird now that i can't imitate it but the second my parents left campus i went out and bought a heavier blanket and i have attempted to mimick my cat with soft toy that wear heavy scarves or ribbons or hold flowers etc.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:36 am

Bellacute wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
Okay, this is weird but, ever since childhood, I've had trouble sleeping unless I had many blankets on top of me. I like the feeling of pressure and feel sort of unsafe sleeping under just a sheet. I can't understand people who can do this in summer or even sleep with NO blanket at all!

Exactly the same!! I've just moved to uni and before i left home my parents didn't like the thought of my sleeping under a heavy blanket cuz i often pull it right over my head in my sleep so they only let me have a light one, so i weighted it with my cat (who's spoilt and i miss dearly). It's weird now that i can't imitate it but the second my parents left campus i went out and bought a heavier blanket and i have attempted to mimick my cat with soft toy that wear heavy scarves or ribbons or hold flowers etc.

Haha! That's funny! I also have a cat (back in America) and she is really fat so feels good at the bottom of the bed. I put two really big stuffed animals there now instead :)

dreamcaster85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2010, 8:47 am

I am the same exact way, actually probably even worse :D First of all I cannot sleep unless the air is frigidly cold and I must have heavy blankets on top of me and that's why I cannot sleep if it's not cold: because I must sleep with all my blankets on top of me. I also sleep on top of a fleece throw and wrap myself up in it like a cacoon. I cannot sleep unless like this. For me it is sensory. I agree, I don't understand how people can sleep with just a sheet on them in the summer! In the past if I didn't have my air conditioner in I would be stifling hot and I would toss my blankets off but found that did not work. I need to have that pressure on me to relax. I just feel exposed without it and I just can't sleep. I also sleep with my legs crossed at my ankles, I think for the same reason of pressure.

krill
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2010, 5:17 pm

I've learned to sleep with no blanket but I LOVE heavy blankets. Look forward to winter.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:36 pm

I'm the same way; I like having a heavy-ish comforter to sleep under. I also sleep with it up to my neck, or more often over my head, to block out light.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:48 pm

I can get by without a heavy blanket during summer, but I need at least a sheet. I sleep much better in winter when I can pile on the blankets.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

Zokk wrote:
I'm the same way; I like having a heavy-ish comforter to sleep under. I also sleep with it up to my neck, or more often over my head, to block out light.

I have two sets of curtains AND wrap a smaller blanket around my head, over my eyes. I sometimes sleep with earplugs too cuz there is this idiot school next to my apt. building that insists on playing very loud games at very stupid times.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:14 am

websister wrote:
I am like this also. Not sure if it's sensory, but Temple Grandin describes the need for deep pressure, it could be related to this. I've stayed at a couple of hotels recently where the covers were very light and I had a very hard time sleeping.

Whenever I am able to go interstate roadtripping, I'll bring an old sleeping bag along with my usual luggage and use it as a comforter on the hotel/motel beds. It really helps!

Mike

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:28 am

I kinda like sleeping with a heavy blanket too. I like the pressure, I feel protected. In summer though, I sleep with a sheet.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:21 pm

I definitely prefer a blanket. To be honest, I´m not sure if it´s the pressure so much, or, if it´s rather- like the OP mentioned- that I feel "safer" with a blanket. Just a sheet, or- God forbid, nothing!- just doesn´t "feel" right, I feel too open and exposed.

Oddly enough though, if I´m taking a nap a in the afternoon- (which is very rare anyway)- I prefer not to be covered at all. As I sleep, I think my body heat lowers, so if I start to fall asleep in the afternoon, I always have to get up and get blankets because I´m too cold, even though I´d prefer not to. But at night, I´m just the opposite: I *need* blankets, even if it´s hot. How strange is that???

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2010, 2:25 pm

I don't have a heavy blanket but I do sleep under the covers, with a blanket on top. I have to have my head covered otherwise I can't sleep.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:30 pm

Kiseki wrote:

I don't need a heavy blanket, but I most definitely 'need' a blanket when I sleep and have been this way since childhood. I simply cannot sleep without a blanket. Even a sheet is too light. My favorite blanket is a sleeping bag. I always sleep with a Coleman's -40 degrees f sleeping bag, unzipped on me. Last winter I slept with two sleeping bags, the Coleman's and some other brand, but one kept sliding off onto the floor and it was a hassle, so now I am down to one.
I wouldn't dream of sleeping without it, no pun intended. I need a blanket that has an airtight shell because I don't like to feel any kind of draftiness. I sleep with the edges tucked under me.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 3:09 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:
If you don't already have one, you should get a weighted blanket. . .

Cool! Tell me about this.

I thought I'd save some money and make my own, but even then I think it came out at about $80 for double bed size.

They are, however, fantastic. And if need be, I can fold it in half for even more weight.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:56 am

Me, too. I didn't realize that it was connected to anything, though, until you brought it up.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2010, 9:52 am

opal wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:
If you don't already have one, you should get a weighted blanket. . .

Cool! Tell me about this.

I thought I'd save some money and make my own, but even then I think it came out at about $80 for double bed size.

They are, however, fantastic. And if need be, I can fold it in half for even more weight.

Yeah, they're expensive, but I have found a significant improvement in my quality of sleep and it's good during the day, too, if you are prone to sensory overstimulation.

Last edited by PangeLingua on 11 Oct 2010, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 9:52 am

Here in Norway a fairly thick cover/blanket is standard, I didn't actually realise this until my late teens, when I first went on summer vacation to a warmer country...

Later I got fascinated by the fact that while there is approximately 10 english words pr. 1 norwegian, there is actually no specific english word for the kind of blanket/cover we use in our beds, while there IS a specific norwegian word.

Anyway, I thought the maids at the hotel hadn't made the bed properly, since there was only a sheet on it... I had a horrible time sleeping that whole time and was ecstatic to get home to my lovely goose down cover... Sometimes I even use two of them, to really emphasise the feeling of having something on top of me. It can get a bit warm, though...

I recently changed beds, and ended up with using just one of the mattresses in a two mattress setup, making my bed practically just a mattress on the floor. It's is placed near a wall, but with a smal gap between the mattress and the wall, and sometimes I will roll into that gap which is just the right size for me to feel comfortably "squeezed".

I guess I'm not claustrofobic.. :lol: