Difficulty Sleeping Without a Heavy Blanket

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 9:52 am

Here in Norway a fairly thick cover/blanket is standard, I didn't actually realise this until my late teens, when I first went on summer vacation to a warmer country...

Later I got fascinated by the fact that while there is approximately 10 english words pr. 1 norwegian, there is actually no specific english word for the kind of blanket/cover we use in our beds, while there IS a specific norwegian word.

Anyway, I thought the maids at the hotel hadn't made the bed properly, since there was only a sheet on it... I had a horrible time sleeping that whole time and was ecstatic to get home to my lovely goose down cover... Sometimes I even use two of them, to really emphasise the feeling of having something on top of me. It can get a bit warm, though...

I recently changed beds, and ended up with using just one of the mattresses in a two mattress setup, making my bed practically just a mattress on the floor. It's is placed near a wall, but with a smal gap between the mattress and the wall, and sometimes I will roll into that gap which is just the right size for me to feel comfortably "squeezed".

I guess I'm not claustrofobic.. :lol:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:51 pm

I've always needed pressure to feel comfortable in bed. In lieu of weighted blankets, I've tried stuffing my sheets between the mattress and bed spread. I did that for awhile back when I was 14, but they always come out so I got sick of doing that. Now I use a big comforter which works better, but doesn't give the pressure I desire. I think if I try something next, It'll be short bungee straps to keep the sheets anchors under the mattress.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 5:24 pm

I have the same probelm and I thought I was the only one! Even in the hottest of summer nights, I cannot sleep without a thick blanket. The weight makes me feel secure and lulls me to sleep. I love my down comforter to pieces.

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 10:50 pm

I thought this kinda thing was just me. All my life I have had to sleep under heavy blankets and even have to pull it over my head even if the room is pitch black. I cant stand having just a thin sheet on me and cant sleep at all without a comforter and or blanket. My fiance on the other hand hates this and thats why we have to have a portable air conditioner blowing right on us during the summer months just so he can sleep comfortably. Im lucky he puts up with it tho =) I am so glad its not just me I thought I was weird thank you so much for posting this.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm

labnjab wrote:
I thought this kinda thing was just me. All my life I have had to sleep under heavy blankets and even have to pull it over my head even if the room is pitch black. I cant stand having just a thin sheet on me and cant sleep at all without a comforter and or blanket. My fiance on the other hand hates this and thats why we have to have a portable air conditioner blowing right on us during the summer months just so he can sleep comfortably. Im lucky he puts up with it tho =) I am so glad its not just me I thought I was weird thank you so much for posting this.

I thought it was just me too! I can distinctly remember being over one of my playmates' house, in elementary school, and her talking about how she could only sleep with a sheet during summer cuz it was so hot. I immediately got freaked out and thought "What?! How?! Don't you feel totally unsafe?! The vampires could come get you!" LOL. I was into the paranormal at that time.

I had no idea it was a sensory thing.

Frankly I wanna get a weighted blanket now! But I don't think it's a good option, as I'm living overseas. So I'm going blanket shopping this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to sleep better. My $200 2 sets of curtains were the best investment I've made so far this year.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm

I can't sleep in a normal cycle unless I have something on me from a comforter or even a sheet for the summer months. But in the winter months I do add blankets since I now live up in a area that get REALLy cold "enoug to frezze the pool. I like it. I do a conforter, Sleepingbag, Flannel blanket, and 2 thermal polyestor blankets one with wolfs on it and another that is desert camo. Now I have a hunting camo Conforter now that I can use for the winter.