Good jobs...not so good jobs for aspies

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RobertColumbia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2016, 10:02 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
...Dislike the idea of working with kids, disabled, or foreigners. I love each of those people groups, but have found it extremely difficult to understand what people are saying unless it's very clear english....

RainbowDemon wrote:
...Care work was the absolute worst though, as it actually made me ill and completely changed my personality for the time I was there (3 years)....

Bruja wrote:
...Also never work as a home health anything. That just sucks in general. Dirty work, physically draining, even if it's just cooking for someone, it still totally sucks....

I've been trying to get into personal care support for a while. How can one do this? I've been applying and even trying to network my way in but every time the employer suddenly stops communicating with me and I never find out why I didn't get the job. I love going out and seeing different parts of town and feeling good about providing some level of help to someone in need, and family and friends have recommended this as something they feel I would be good at. It also helps that I seem to naturally disregard social cues that people who have various disabilities often give off that frighten others away.

I'm not sure exactly what my problem is - are there really legions of highly qualified people ahead of me who want this kind of work (I've been told the opposite is true, that they can't find enough people willing to do it)? Is "No Irish Need Apply" back again? Do they only hire people living with illiteracy?

Please don't tell me not to do this - I really want to!