Page 16 of 28 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next

borgwoman
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2016, 11:24 am

An orphan. Really. And yes, I knew what it meant.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:38 am

i wanted to run away as a nine year old (but i guess many of us did?)

i packed a bag of peanuts and marked the sign i was going to leave over there.

parents found out. shouldn't have left my peanuts under their bed.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

A doctor, wish that had worked out.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:00 pm

When I was little (up to about puberty), I wanted to be a vet. I decided 12 years of college was more than I wanted to endure.

Through my teenage years, I wanted to be a trauma nurse or a combat medic or a disaster relief worker (think Doctors Without Borders). Then I chickened out and decided that two out of the three would take me too far from home and that I was prolly too stupid to hold peoples' lives in my hands.

Decided to become a teacher. Didn't have the PC social skills for it.

Decided to become a writer. Hated the pretension of it, and trying to force it to yield on command pretty much killed the spring, so to speak.

So I became a SAHM with four kids and a lot of pets, which tidily combines elements of all the professions I have considered, with the possible exception of combat medic.

My baby is going to school soon. Guess I need to get back to thinking about what I want to do when I grow up.

Is "small-scale homesteader and community volunteer" a career???

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

^^^^ what's a "SAHM"?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:04 pm

Stay-at-home mom.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:07 pm

oh. thanx for that :)

seoquim
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2016, 5:55 pm

I wanted to have a restaurant or to be a writer. Nowadays I'm a teacher, I like to cook but I don't want to have restaurant anymore and I still expects that someday I'll be a writer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:02 pm

I like to think that if only I could've gotten into broadcasting, that i'd have turned out something like art bell.

CaptLasik
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

An astronaut, an author/illustrator, and an actor.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 1:44 am

an actor who plays an author in space?

an author who writes about space illustrators?

an illustrator for space literature?

auntblabby wrote:
I like to think that if only I could've gotten into broadcasting, that i'd have turned out something like art bell.

:o what would you have been broadcasting?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 1:45 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
an actor who plays an author in space? an author who writes about space illustrators? an illustrator for space literature?
auntblabby wrote:

:o what would you have been broadcasting?

a combo of jazz and show tunes, and/or a paranormal discussion program, a la Art Bell, George Nouri, Long John Nebel et al.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

I haven't gone back and read all the pages but must say I'm very very surprised at (almost) everyone's responses.

In my comment earlier I said I'd never wanted to be anything. Thinking back it was easy to see what prompted my answer: There was never a real expectation I could be anything. This was mostly evidenced by having virtually zero support from anyone....almost as though I were a sick person and ALL they were waiting for was to see if I would live or die. Although I looked up to some people (the policeman on the corner for example) I never believed I could ever be any of those things, none. My expectation was I'd always fail.

Somewhere in all of your pasts someone must have been nice to you. I'm jealous (but happy for you). :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 3:27 pm

ZenDen wrote:
I haven't gone back and read all the pages but must say I'm very very surprised at (almost) everyone's responses.

In my comment earlier I said I'd never wanted to be anything. Thinking back it was easy to see what prompted my answer: There was never a real expectation I could be anything. This was mostly evidenced by having virtually zero support from anyone....almost as though I were a sick person and ALL they were waiting for was to see if I would live or die. Although I looked up to some people (the policeman on the corner for example) I never believed I could ever be any of those things, none. My expectation was I'd always fail.

Somewhere in all of your pasts someone must have been nice to you. I'm jealous (but happy for you). :D

same thing for me, no real expectations other than just to get out of the house, eventually.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2016, 7:18 am

When I was a kid growing up in rural New Hampshire, one of my biggest special interests was aquaria. I dreamed of moving to Florida and running a tropical fish farm.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2016, 10:51 am

I wanted to be a T. rex for some reason. Not sure how I planned on accomplishing that, but I practiced by biting people.