Do you need a romantic relationship in order to be happy?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2010, 8:23 pm

Sometimes romantic relationships don't bring happiness. Abusive relationships are the best example of relationships that don't bring happiness. If a person treats his/her partner like crap, then there should not have been a romantic relationship to begin with. Even if some do get into a relationship, their comes a time when they would want to be alone again and would push their partner farther away. If you saw the divorce rate in the US, it's about 50%. Best to show that not everyone is happy in a relationship. Don't get me wrong, relationships are good and I want one too. You just have to find the right person. That's all. Once you do, you will be happy.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:31 pm

Alla wrote:
Is there much that a romantic relationship can add to your life that would actually make it better? Even if there are a few nice things that go along with a relationship, are they worth it?

Are you in it for the sex? You can probably get the sex without being in a relationship
Are you with someone because you need him/her to support you emotionally? Friends and family can do that
Do you need someone to help pay part of your rent/bills? A roomate can do that.
Do you need validation that you are smart, beautiful, etc.? Again, family, friends, colleagues can do that.

Do, what would a romantic relationship add to your life that you can't eassily find in any other person or group of people?

I dunno. You raise some very good points. *shrug* I guess it's the whole thing of wanting something you don't have. Single people want relationships and people in relationships (sometimes) want out. There are some things that a significant other can do that friends can't. I'm not talking on a sexual level either but it's the intimacy of it all. It's feeling so close emotionally to another person that appeals to me.

BrickHorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2010, 10:44 pm

Erisad wrote:
Alla wrote:
Is there much that a romantic relationship can add to your life that would actually make it better? Even if there are a few nice things that go along with a relationship, are they worth it?

Are you in it for the sex? You can probably get the sex without being in a relationship
Are you with someone because you need him/her to support you emotionally? Friends and family can do that
Do you need someone to help pay part of your rent/bills? A roomate can do that.
Do you need validation that you are smart, beautiful, etc.? Again, family, friends, colleagues can do that.

Do, what would a romantic relationship add to your life that you can't eassily find in any other person or group of people?

I dunno. You raise some very good points. *shrug* I guess it's the whole thing of wanting something you don't have. Single people want relationships and people in relationships (sometimes) want out. There are some things that a significant other can do that friends can't. I'm not talking on a sexual level either but it's the intimacy of it all. It's feeling so close emotionally to another person that appeals to me.

This is what appeals to me as well. It's just my innate desire to find a mate and get close with him or her and I can't really explain why.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 10:25 am

PHISHA51 wrote:
Sometimes romantic relationships don't bring happiness. Abusive relationships are the best example of relationships that don't bring happiness. If a person treats his/her partner like crap, then there should not have been a romantic relationship to begin with. Even if some do get into a relationship, their comes a time when they would want to be alone again and would push their partner farther away. If you saw the divorce rate in the US, it's about 50%. Best to show that not everyone is happy in a relationship. Don't get me wrong, relationships are good and I want one too. You just have to find the right person. That's all. Once you do, you will be happy.

Even if the relationship becomes abusive, it'd have had to be happy at first or there would have been no reason to enter it.

I agree with you though, the important part is finding the right person.