Daughter with Aspergers. Twin sister with Aspergers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ksjourdain
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2010, 7:03 am

...and a raging hatred of the "Social Stories" that the school wants me to read to my daughter. Frankly, they're ridiculous. And misleading.

My prime example attempted to teach young aspies that one does not touch ones' genitals in public. Good lesson. LOUSY delivery. First off, they were too scared to use the word "genitals", or say, penis/vagina. They flaked out at "bathing suit areas". Instead they said pants. That's right. According to this social story, my decades of adjusting my waistband has been a terrible faux pas. My husband blithely rearranging his testicles is fine, because it doesn't involve touching PANTS.

And then their little aspie character tells a female peer in gym that she is not supposed to rearrange her bra outside the bathroom. First off, let me tell you as a girl that if you're playing volleyball, you could superglue your underwire and still require an adjustment after every serve. Beyond that, let me tell you what will happen to the little aspie darling if he makes a comment about a girl's boobs. He's gonna get smacked. And be called a perv.

So I'm making some of my own. I need some more ideas...

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 8:13 am

ksjourdain wrote:
...and a raging hatred of the "Social Stories" that the school wants me to read to my daughter. Frankly, they're ridiculous. And misleading.

My prime example attempted to teach young aspies that one does not touch ones' genitals in public. Good lesson. LOUSY delivery. First off, they were too scared to use the word "genitals", or say, penis/vagina. They flaked out at "bathing suit areas". Instead they said pants. That's right. According to this social story, my decades of adjusting my waistband has been a terrible faux pas. My husband blithely rearranging his testicles is fine, because it doesn't involve touching PANTS.

And then their little aspie character tells a female peer in gym that she is not supposed to rearrange her bra outside the bathroom. First off, let me tell you as a girl that if you're playing volleyball, you could superglue your underwire and still require an adjustment after every serve. Beyond that, let me tell you what will happen to the little aspie darling if he makes a comment about a girl's boobs. He's gonna get smacked. And be called a perv.

So I'm making some of my own. I need some more ideas...

Jeepers, knowing how literal some of us can be, these stories are downright stupid. I would have thought that the makers of these books would realise that some of us are so literal that they would use the right words. *annoyed*

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

Quote:

You're going to have to explain this social story to me. Was it demonstrating that telling someone not to adjust their bra is bad or demonstrating that this is what you're supposed to do?

These stories are rubbish if they even need to be explained to an aspie of my age. You could probably make your own.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:32 am

Welcome!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:49 am

Welcome aboard the Wrong Planet, ksjourdain.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 11:44 am

Don't be a prude, be blunt/specific & read this book

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book/9781843103745

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 11:57 am

Peko wrote:
Don't be a prude, be blunt/specific & read this book

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book/9781843103745

Looks good.

ksjourdain
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the welcome's...

Buryuntime, the social story was supposed to tell you not to rearrange your own junk in public, but it instead of/as well as showed an aspie telling a girl not to rearrange HER junk in public. I don't know if you've ever made a comment about someone's bra or what she's doing with it in public before, but generally the reception is not a chirpy "thank you".

I've actually started making my own social stories, in comic form (that's how my daughter likes things, lol). Alas, I cannot post links here yet... apparently I have to make X number of posts before I can post a link. I will assure you, however, that in MY version, the kid is clearly scratching his junk, and not his pants, lol.

That book looks cool. I've always been painfully blunt with Eowyn about sex, not sure if this will cover any new territory for her... her last question regarding sexuality was about whether or not people risk getting stuck together if they engage in anal sex... and, beet red, I answered it. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, but I answered it, lol.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Oct 2010, 3:24 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

You might want to check out the Parent's Discussion forum for any other ideas about teaching
propriety to children in a constructive manner.