Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2004, 5:05 pm

well, as i mentioned in my previous post, i said i had depersonalization disorder (or DDNOS), and i remember some one mentioning a while back about this.

some one told me that's it not rare for aspies to aquire DP...if anyone has an explaination that would be wonderful.

also, some one mentioned that people with asperger's shouldn't take anti-psychotics (seemed very very frightened almost when s/he posted the reply). why? because when i did take anti-psychotics they made me really sick.

just curious :\

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2004, 5:43 pm

I have not been diagnosed with depersonalization disorder (or AS for that matter), but I do experience those sensations sometimes. It is usually when I become overwhelmed by sensory stimuli, and I am much more prone to it happening when I am tired. I think it's my body's response to overstimulation, and is sort of like a mental shutdown response. I feel like I am drifting from my body, my head is light and clouded, and the sensation in my limbs is usually rather odd, as though I am being surrounded by pillows and can not really touch anything. Odd perceptions can accompany this, lights become too bright, and shadows seem to shimmer. I feel rather "out of it" in general, like I can not be reached, and I am terrified of someone trying to approach me and break through to my world. Sometimes, stimming or becoming focused on an object helps. More often, I just need to rest and sleep afterwards.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2004, 8:36 pm

Civet wrote:
I have not been diagnosed with depersonalization disorder (or AS for that matter), but I do experience those sensations sometimes. It is usually when I become overwhelmed by sensory stimuli, and I am much more prone to it happening when I am tired. I think it's my body's response to overstimulation, and is sort of like a mental shutdown response. I feel like I am drifting from my body, my head is light and clouded, and the sensation in my limbs is usually rather odd, as though I am being surrounded by pillows and can not really touch anything. Odd perceptions can accompany this, lights become too bright, and shadows seem to shimmer. I feel rather "out of it" in general, like I can not be reached, and I am terrified of someone trying to approach me and break through to my world. Sometimes, stimming or becoming focused on an object helps. More often, I just need to rest and sleep afterwards.

civet:

you definately have either DP or DR, but if you only feel it with certian situations, you don't have the disorder. although mine is an extreme case, i have it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

i haven't been diagnosed with AS, either.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2004, 1:22 am

I've said a couple of times on this board that I feel like I'm watching my life on TV - when I remember things they are almost always - 99.9999% of the time in 3rd person - so I assume that is depersonalization disorder . . .

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2004, 9:25 am

animallover wrote:
I've said a couple of times on this board that I feel like I'm watching my life on TV - when I remember things they are almost always - 99.9999% of the time in 3rd person - so I assume that is depersonalization disorder . . .

yes, kiddo that is DP disorder...

but i'm curious, why are we more prone to it?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2004, 10:05 am

I don't know about the constant feeling, but I think my "episodes" of it are stress and overstimulation reactions. My mind's way of dealing with too much information, in a way.

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2004, 5:57 am

Warning- drug references
Seriously, kids, don't take drugs, they're expensive and not that much fun.
Now, where were we-

I've experienced depersonalization once and it frightened me quite a lot. It was when I took MDMA at a party a few years ago. I felt like I wasn't thinking my own thoughts, and my voice sounded like I was listening to a tape recording. Not what I'd call "ecstasy", but then again, that's not the usual effect. If we are generally more prone to depersonalization, then it's probably not a good drug for aspies. Avoid like the plague.

:(

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2004, 8:26 pm

Holy jeez
I've never heard of this condition.. and I *had* it. From ages 15 to 26.. and I still have a very mild form of it sometimes. Usually when under stress (which is rare for me)

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2004, 12:06 am

Interestingly, the only time that I do not feel like I'm watching my life on TV is if someone touches me - so, needless to say, I avoid being touched since it so alters my perception . . .

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2004, 12:07 am

Oh - I think we are more prone to depersonalization because we already feel so disconnected from life to begin with - with all the perceptual and social problems - that it is just easier to completely disconnect . . .

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2004, 8:23 am

Those are interesting points, animallover. They seem to make sense.

What exactly is the cause of depersonalization? And how is depersonalization different from derealization? I've read about them both, but I did not understand how they are different.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2004, 1:27 pm

If I understand it right, depersonalization is when you feel, like I do that you are watching everything on TV - but you know good and well what is real and what isn't - it is just that you don't experience it in first person . . .

Derealization is like you function ok, but have gotten so involved in some sort of fantasy that sometimes it breaks into reality and causes problems -so it isn't really hallucinations or a complete break with reality, but it is just fantasy that is sometimes out of control . . .
I exerience something like this when I get VERY stressed - one of my persistent fantasies is just to be held by someone and listen to their heart beat - and if I get REALLY, REALLY stressed I just have to stop what I'm doing and let that fantasy run out for about five minutes and then I can go back to what I should be doing . . .[/list]

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 5:56 am

This is an interesting website about it:
http://www.panic-anxiety.com/depersonal ... zation.htm

He's saying the difference in depersonalization is more personal, you're thinking more about yourself in the unreality.

Derealization is more general, all of your senses feel disconnected. You don't have much of an ego, or self-awerness about yourself.

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 6:15 am

Ok.. from what I can see is, depersonalization is a condition diagnosed in the DSM-IV. Derealization, however, is just a symptom of an anxiety attack.

The author that other site, http://www.panic-anxiety.com/ , is clumping them both into one category: being symptoms of an anxiety disorder. That's because anxiety disorderes can be treated by psychologists.

They'll treat you for anxiety even if you don't have anxiety.

The standard technique for dealing with anxiety disorders is called "CBT" (or something like that). These guys don't use CBT. They use "The Linden Method", which has been discredited.

Also, this guy dosen't appear to be a doctor, or a pshychologist. He never said he was, since that would be asking for a lawsuit. He's got two "testonomials". One is a doctor (could be anything, and the other is a Registered Nurse!

So.. I think this guy is a complete fraud.

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 6:20 am

I think this is more of the standard defintion of depersonalization, going by the DSM IV. With no mention of derealization.
http://www.depersonalization.info/overview.html

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2005, 6:25 am

Thank you for the links, SineWave.

So what does it mean if I only experience these symptoms some of the time?