Do I have a MILD, as in very mild, case of aspergers? (List)

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do I have a MILD case of aspergers
No, you definitely don't aspergers; those characteristics that you've listed form your personality. 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Yes, you may have a mild case of aspergers. 46%  46%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 26

TheRisingMoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2010, 12:04 pm

Social Characteristics
1.) Before my first year of college, I was considered to be EXTREMELY shy. It was to the point where I was shy around my extended family which includes my Aunt and Uncle. I never ONCE really hungout with anyone outside of high school during my whole high school career. I never talked and when I did talk it was always something awkward.
--- When I tried to talk to someone, it would always be, " Did you finish the homework??" or "Was there homework assigned today." That's really all I knew how to say.. :(
***Now, as I am entering my 2nd year of college, I like to talk to people, although I only feel comfortable with "one-on-one" communication. Talking in groups makes me overwhelmed. I've taught myself how to be less awkward in public situations. I know what is acceptable and what is not.

2.) I suffer from major anxiety attacks if I am talking in front of a crowd. People's faces really scare me when I'm standing 'centerstage'. It's not the typical "nervous" feeling either. I am in "flight or fight" mode. :(
3. ) I also don't know how I come across when I am in front of people. When I hear myself on a recording, I can hear myself speaking extremely fast. A lot of the times I can't even understand what I am saying. I always come across as PAINFULLY nervous. I never knew it was this bad until people started telling me about this and then I heard it for myself.
4.) I don't like to get attached to people. I don't really like hugs and it makes me uncomfortable to see individuals cry. ( I love giving animals hugs, such as my dogs. I also like getting hugs from "this one boy") There is "this one boy" that I have liked since I was 14 and I'm almost 20 now. I CANNOT get myself to like some other guy. I'm still attached to this boy even though he has NO feelings towards me whatsoever anymore. I probably won't kiss a guy again because of my attachment towards "that one boy". STILL, I consider myself to be very emotional. I CAN read other people's emotions relatively EASY and I usually know the right things to say when someone needs advice. I love giving advice to those who need emotional assistance.

Learning Characteristics
1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE art. I can think of anything as artistic. From the way orange juice is settled in a glass to the way someone has a piece of lent settled on their faded sweater. All of this I notice and it comforts me. I suck at math. Science such as biology are okay. Although math, more specifically algebra, is one subject that I've always struggled in.
2. I have a natural capability to draw and paint things. What is ironic is that anytime I am in a more depressive mood, I have a better capability of drawing or painting objects realistically or just more artistically directed.
3. I love to listen to theme songs and then hum a comprised song of my own which in my opinion sounds pretty good!
4. I think of ideas in visuals. It is really hard for me to verbally express how I feel. I mumble and say random things because my mind won't connect my thoughts properly. Yet, I can write a paper very well and I've received compliments on how I write. How I speak on the other hand...
Quirks
1.) I hate when people WHISPER. The "pssss..psss.wwwss.." sound of it all makes me want to cringe.
2.) I used to hate how people chew. Or when they chew or eat food and then talk about something insensitive while eating makes me want to have a mental breakdown.
3.) Certain tones of voices makes me want to throw a glass vase against the wall. (It's mean, I know. It's ironic because I have an annoying voice.)

College Homework.1.) I like going to school and learning but I hate doing my homework within a given deadline. It makes everything seem too constrained. I need to have enough time to express myself to the point where I am able to show what I'm truly capable of accomplishing.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:20 pm

i don't believe in " mild asperger", even when it looks mild, you feel it strongly. from what i read you might be extremely shy,, but i don 't know you! read a bit more and see if you relate to anything else around here, all i can tell you is you're the one who knows yourself best...if you're indeed an aspie, you'll research this to death until you know for sure anyway, just give yourself time :lol:

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2010, 12:27 pm

:idea: I would recommend the thread below! There are many GREAT POSTS by OTHER members of WP here. This might give you some insight. :arrow:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt140798.html

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:01 pm

Nah. That's not AS unless there are a heck of a lot more relevant characteristics than you're telling us. You probably do have some social anxiety issues, and may be quite introverted. In our modern world it's often considered somewhat unusual or even pathological to be introverted; but the fact is that introverts are just as stable and happy as extroverts are, on average. It's perfectly legitimate to want to spend most of your time alone. It's the fear of messing up in public that's probably causing you distress; if you want, you can get counseling for it, or you could just try gradually getting into the situations that make you uncomfortable and getting used to them. once you understand that embarrassment is not going to kill you, it gets better.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:15 pm

I agree that nothing you posted really says "AS." It sounds like social anxiety.

TheRisingMoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm

I guess that is a relief to a degree. I still don't get why my artistic skills are so much stronger than my math skills. Also, thinking in visuals is also something I'm curious to know more about. If someone can explain why I have these traits that would also be awesome!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:31 pm

TheRisingMoon wrote:
I guess that is a relief to a degree. I still don't get why my artistic skills are so much stronger than my math skills. Also, thinking in visuals is also something I'm curious to know more about. If someone can explain why I have these traits that would also be awesome!

everybody thinks in visuals...however else would you think?
edit: no, wait, i also think auditively....sounds and images. like a video. and you have an artistic nature. i mean, why do you need other people to tell you who you are? think about it and come to a conclusion!

Last edited by ediself on 25 Oct 2010, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingofCorrect
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2010, 1:32 pm

TheRisingMoon wrote:
Social Characteristics
1.) Before my first year of college, I was considered to be EXTREMELY shy. It was to the point where I was shy around my extended family which includes my Aunt and Uncle. I never ONCE really hungout with anyone outside of high school during my whole high school career. I never talked and when I did talk it was always something awkward.
--- When I tried to talk to someone, it would always be, " Did you finish the homework??" or "Was there homework assigned today." That's really all I knew how to say.. :(
***Now, as I am entering my 2nd year of college, I like to talk to people, although I only feel comfortable with "one-on-one" communication. Talking in groups makes me overwhelmed. I've taught myself how to be less awkward in public situations. I know what is acceptable and what is not.

2.) I suffer from major anxiety attacks if I am talking in front of a crowd. People's faces really scare me when I'm standing 'centerstage'. It's not the typical "nervous" feeling either. I am in "flight or fight" mode. :(
3. ) I also don't know how I come across when I am in front of people. When I hear myself on a recording, I can hear myself speaking extremely fast. A lot of the times I can't even understand what I am saying. I always come across as PAINFULLY nervous. I never knew it was this bad until people started telling me about this and then I heard it for myself.
4.) I don't like to get attached to people. I don't really like hugs and it makes me uncomfortable to see individuals cry. ( I love giving animals hugs, such as my dogs. I also like getting hugs from "this one boy") There is "this one boy" that I have liked since I was 14 and I'm almost 20 now. I CANNOT get myself to like some other guy. I'm still attached to this boy even though he has NO feelings towards me whatsoever anymore. I probably won't kiss a guy again because of my attachment towards "that one boy". STILL, I consider myself to be very emotional. I CAN read other people's emotions relatively EASY and I usually know the right things to say when someone needs advice. I love giving advice to those who need emotional assistance.

Learning Characteristics
1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE art. I can think of anything as artistic. From the way orange juice is settled in a glass to the way someone has a piece of lent settled on their faded sweater. All of this I notice and it comforts me. I suck at math. Science such as biology are okay. Although math, more specifically algebra, is one subject that I've always struggled in.
2. I have a natural capability to draw and paint things. What is ironic is that anytime I am in a more depressive mood, I have a better capability of drawing or painting objects realistically or just more artistically directed.
3. I love to listen to theme songs and then hum a comprised song of my own which in my opinion sounds pretty good!
4. I think of ideas in visuals. It is really hard for me to verbally express how I feel. I mumble and say random things because my mind won't connect my thoughts properly. Yet, I can write a paper very well and I've received compliments on how I write. How I speak on the other hand...
Quirks
1.) I hate when people WHISPER. The "pssss..psss.wwwss.." sound of it all makes me want to cringe.
2.) I used to hate how people chew. Or when they chew or eat food and then talk about something insensitive while eating makes me want to have a mental breakdown.
3.) Certain tones of voices makes me want to throw a glass vase against the wall. (It's mean, I know. It's ironic because I have an annoying voice.)

College Homework.1.) I like going to school and learning but I hate doing my homework within a given deadline. It makes everything seem too constrained. I need to have enough time to express myself to the point where I am able to show what I'm truly capable of accomplishing.

A good part of these symptoms sound like me, except that i got over the whole speaking in public thing, and i like to hug people. Also, i cannot draw at all. I was diagnosed though, so I am less like this when i am unmedicated.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:33 pm

ediself wrote:
TheRisingMoon wrote:

In sound, smell, etc.

Or are those born blind incapable of thinking?

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:35 pm

adifferentname wrote:
ediself wrote:
TheRisingMoon wrote:

In sound, smell, etc.

Or are those born blind incapable of thinking?

yes. you're right, there's also smells. i guess i was not thinking at all when i replied.... :?

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 3:35 pm

ediself wrote:
TheRisingMoon wrote:

edit: no, wait, i also think auditively....sounds and images. like a video. and you have an artistic nature. i mean, why do you need other people to tell you who you are? think about it and come to a conclusion!

I think primarily in words, personally...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 4:02 pm

I think the people that come here and ask if they have mild AS and then list things that don't even make up autism are a prime candidates for not having it. Someone who suspects they have AS will actually be more prone to learning everything about it and not be going by misinformation from other people that it is just about being shy or avoiding people.

Also, people with autism don't all have a visual memory. Asperger's is actually more prone to verbal IQ than spatial. As for the whole "mild" thing, I thought I was mild until I came here and there seems to be people that can do way more than I can. Severity labels are bogus and can not be clearly defined.

Your insistence with only having "mild AS" is further proof you are likely suffering from social phobia because people with social phobia are obsessed with doing something wrong in front of others and disorders are believed to be wrong or bad. Get into therapy, it might help you.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2010, 5:22 pm

TheRisingMoon wrote:
Social Characteristics

Learning Characteristics
Quirks

Even though looking at behaviour is important, i think maybe you might get a better answer to your question if you looked at the diagnosis criteria.

Even though i fulfilled almost all the criteria when i was younger, today i don't fill much of it, and probably wouldn't be diagnosed today, so i would say in my case, it is very very mild (at least from a behaviour perspective)

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/P ... px?rid=94#

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:28 pm

TheRisingMoon wrote:
Social Characteristics
I CAN read other people's emotions relatively EASY and I usually know the right things to say when someone needs advice. I love giving advice to those who need emotional assistance.

If you were on the autistic spectrum, this would be pretty unusual.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

Could be. Not enough information. If it is, I take issue with your description of it as "mild." Doesn't seem mild to me.

NOT A DOCTOR

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2010, 7:35 pm

TheRisingMoon wrote:

I hate those sounds as well and have similarly violent impulses at times. It sounds like you might have Auditory Processing Disorder or something related. That could also explain why you are fine socializing one-on-one but have trouble with groups - you may be getting overwhelmed by multiple voices at once. You could have some auditory processing issues and social anxiety, without having autism.

I agree with a previous poster who said that someone who actually has AS will most likely research it exhaustively for him/herself before coming on here and posting questions like this.