Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:44 pm

I dont know if other people have experianced this with psychs. I've gone and tried out many psychs(whether it was just 1 appointment or more), and I've found that many of them dont respect me for the person I am. They constantly misconstrue me with less social skills then I actually have. Its fustrating sometimes, I dont think they understand me. I've only had 1 psych that has understood me and respected me but she moved away. I feel like I know more then they think I do. They dont need to talk to my parents, talk to me. Im at the point in my life where my parents play a very small role in my social development like any 22 year old. Just because Im on the spectrum doesnt mean I dont have a voice, it certainly dosent mean I cant speak for myself.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:56 pm

princesseli wrote:
I feel like I know more then they think I do.

Many of them are shockers. You sound quite mature to me, I would not bother using them for therapy but involve yourself in other obtuse forms of self improvement.

They are often just like meds, unnecessary and sometimes harmful.

Do you know what being a Libra Dragon is all about?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:15 pm

Worse are the ones that damage you when you are in a vulnerable state. It doesn't even have to be nefarious in nature. Just arrogance in their diagnosis and treatment can set someone back years.

parrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2010, 2:19 pm

Reminds me of a joke I've heard. Do you know what you call the med student with the worst grades who graduates at the bottom of their class? . . . . Doctor.

Doctors are human and run the full spectrum for their talents. Plenty of them suck. Many cared at one time but through the years it has just turned into a job for them. I've seen many doctors who have developed a favorite diagnosis and cure. My rheumatologist still swears that if I just keep taking my vitamin-D that all my problems will be solved. So many of them see the same exact things year after year that they just get locked down in their pre-assumptions thinking they've seen it all before and already know how to treat you without actually finding out anything about you.

Reminds me of what my mother told me. She said it was pointless to take me to a psychologist past age 5 (but she still did) because at that point I was smarter than 90% of them. Child psyc's have a lot of tricks and lies they use on children to try to manipulate them, but my mom told me I'd call them out on them every time and point out how stupid they were. She told me I would debate and destroy the doctors, then turn things around to play mind games on them.

My personal preference now is to find very young doctors straight out of school. They have no experience and may make a few mistakes, but they're optimistic, hopeful, and still actually care about helping people.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:43 pm

Curse them....to Hades. Seriously have 'been through it' with certain of them.

THE THERAPIST SLAYER STRIKES :twisted:

OK, seriously, doubtful Aspies are suited for any given psych and oftentimes they are beyond ignorant. I think it's imperative to choose wisely and discard with alacrity. I do now a bad psych can cause irreparable damage (had it done to me) becaue they can and there is no accountability. AS is not intuitive understood and that's where they can/will mess-up. Essentially they are 'treating' what they don't know.

Sorry you've not been treated well and hope you can resort to another way. You are correct in your assessment of many of them. Plus, some of nasty bad personality aberrations which may be a pathological reality of their career choice. Ban them to all heck.

< dusting off the silver crucifix and wreath of garlic......"here psychy psychy pschy, here boy, come on bad psych, bad!" >

Hands off the Therapist Slayer, psych. Seriously, some need a short chain and muzzle (met them). And I hope that never happens to another Aspie :cry:

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 9:36 pm

Yeah, unless you're sure they're good, stay the hell away.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 11:27 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Worse are the ones that damage you when you are in a vulnerable state. It doesn't even have to be nefarious in nature. Just arrogance in their diagnosis and treatment can set someone back years.

There's a woman counselor who volunteers at the soup kitchen once a month, who is like that. I had the misfortune of talking to her, today. I told her about my struggles over my past two days. She asked me if maybe I put a little too much faith in my special interest. I told her that what I do, is my own business. I also told her that I'm not ready for the 21st Century and I was never really ready for the 21st Century. I told her that I like the music from the 60s 70s and the 80s. I told her about the happy memories that the music brings back from time to time. She seemed to understand a little more, towards the end. She said that there will be a time that I'll be ready to change. I've tried change for three years and it didn't work, so I went back to being the 60s loving Kinks Fan that I love being, because that's being myself.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm

The only psychologist I've met was the one I was sent to back in eighth grade, and I do not think she made the right choice when she decided to be a child psychologist. If you've managed to turn a normally timid girl into someone who's openly defiant, you know you're doing something wrong.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 8:08 am

parrow wrote:
Reminds me of what my mother told me. She said it was pointless to take me to a psychologist past age 5 (but she still did) because at that point I was smarter than 90% of them. Child psyc's have a lot of tricks and lies they use on children to try to manipulate them, but my mom told me I'd call them out on them every time and point out how stupid they were. She told me I would debate and destroy the doctors, then turn things around to play mind games on them.

This reminds me of a psychologist joke.

A mother took her three-year-old son to a therapist. The therapist tried to get the child to open up by asking him questions.
"Do you like dogs?"
"Not really."
"Do you like cats?"
"Yes." (smiles)
"Can you tell me what color cats are?"
"Black, white, brown, striped."
"Can you tell me how big a cat is?"
"This big." (hold hands 20 inches apart)
"What shape are a cat's ears?"
"Triangles."
"Where are a cat's whiskers?"
"On its nose."
Then the little boy turns to his mother and says: "How is it possible that this man never saw a cat before?"