Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

floating
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2010, 3:53 am

happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
Hi,

I've benefitted heaps from meditation and yoga.

I recommend talks by Ajahn Brahm found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA

They are very entertaining and lead you into relaxation/meditation.

I hope that helps.

I love Ajahn Brahm! I listen to his talks daily on YouTube and on my ipod in my car. His talks have helped me a great deal. He's so funny. :)

I'm so excited that another aspie loves Ajahn Brahm :D I have an ipod sort thing filled with his talks which I listen to daily too! I rememeber when I first heard his talks - were the talks he gives to his monks because I was staying in a monastery - I was just like -OMG this is someone who understands how I think and how I think is not a bad thing. His talks have definately helped me to make peace with myself.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:10 am

floating wrote:
happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
Hi,

I hope that helps.

I love Ajahn Brahm! I listen to his talks daily on YouTube and on my ipod in my car. His talks have helped me a great deal. He's so funny. :)

I'm so excited that another aspie loves Ajahn Brahm :D I have an ipod sort thing filled with his talks which I listen to daily too! I rememeber when I first heard his talks - were the talks he gives to his monks because I was staying in a monastery - I was just like -OMG this is someone who understands how I think and how I think is not a bad thing. His talks have definately helped me to make peace with myself.

Yeah! His youtube talks on Fear and Letting Go of Fear are two that really helped me calm down. I was able to go a whole afternoon without fear. It was so peaceful. I am trying to use the Dharma to undo my OCD. I also ordered a workbook for OCD that has great reviews and hope to use them together. The author talks about mindfulness in the book, so I took that as a good sign.

I also just got a book by Ajahn Brahm called Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook. It has helped me quiet the mental chatter. And yes, he thinks like me, too - it just clicks. :)

floating
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2010, 1:56 am

happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
Hi,

I hope that helps.

Yeah! His youtube talks on Fear and Letting Go of Fear are two that really helped me calm down. I was able to go a whole afternoon without fear. It was so peaceful. I am trying to use the Dharma to undo my OCD. I also ordered a workbook for OCD that has great reviews and hope to use them together. The author talks about mindfulness in the book, so I took that as a good sign.

I also just got a book by Ajahn Brahm called Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook. It has helped me quiet the mental chatter. And yes, he thinks like me, too - it just clicks. :)

That's awesome (you going a whole afternoon without fear). I've read that book of Ajahn Brahm's too and loved it. I also have his book 'Opening the Door of your Heart' which is also very cool. Good luck with reducing your fear - making peace etc. Sounds like you are onto some good things:) PM me if you want to tell me how it's going.

floating
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2010, 1:57 am

happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
happymusic wrote:
floating wrote:
Hi,

I hope that helps.

That's awesome (you going a whole afternoon without fear). I've read that book of Ajahn Brahm's too and loved it. I also have his book 'Opening the Door of your Heart' which is also very cool. Good luck with reducing your fear - making peace etc. Sounds like you are onto some good things:) PM me if you want to tell me how it's going.

MaybeMars
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2010, 12:33 pm

My mind is always chattering, scheming, computing, counting, and analyzing so it is very hard to get into a quiet meditative state.

I started going to yoga classes and find that I'm still thinking, but it's concentrated on the moment: Is my arm straight? Are my hips level? How the hell much longer are we going to hold this pose!?

After a lot of classes, I find even most of that chatter is fading away and I can achieve that state even when not doing yoga.

If you want to sweat try Ashtanga or some of the power yoga classes. My power yoga teacher can probably bench press South America.

tonka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2011, 4:35 pm

I try to meditate each day and do yoga maybe twice a week. If you're new to meditation I would recommend insight/vipassana meditation (sometimes referred to as mindfulness meditation). There's some good books out there on it.

And as mentioned earlier in the thread, there are some versions of yoga that are really quite strenuous. I have an 'advanced workout' routine on dvd and it kicks my arse (but keeps me very fit).

I have a job that can be quite stressful and have real problems with stress and related insomnia if I don't manage it appropriately. Doing yoga and meditation forms part of that management strategy.

I should point out that you shouldn't meditate with the aim of 'relaxing'. If you find yourself thinking 'I should be relaxed by now' or similar, just let that thought go by... like all the thoughts that come into your head when meditating.

?We cannot put off living until we are ready. The most salient characteristic of life is its coerciveness; it is always urgent, 'here and now,' without any possible postponement. Life is fired at us point-blank.?
Jose Ortega y Gasset

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:16 am

I'm like you OP, my brain never slows down. Personally I don't benefit from meditation, but you should still try it. You might try a guided meditation especially. I did enjoy yoga, though. I actually enjoyed yoga with some pilates thrown in the most. More than any of that though, I benefit most from just doing something that makes me not think...spending time with my pets is what's most relaxing for me.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 4:05 am

I do internal energy focus. Any Chi Kung or (good) Tai Chi Chuan classes will teach you how to focus your internal energy.

It's amazing what it will do. If I'm stressed, all I have to do is focus my energy, and it's GONE. I posted in another topic about how I healed an ear infection (two, actually) with internal energy. I get rid of headaches as well.

I do other things, but... I seriously doubt anyone would believe me without trying it for themselves (in fact, the only person I know that really believes that you can do that stuff had experience with internal energy before, and used it for the things I told her about afterwards). If you want to learn about internal energy focusing, I can teach you a really quick trick to do it. Just PM me with your Skype username and I'll explain it to you. I'll also explain some of the nifty stuff you can do with it.

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2011, 12:03 am

nominalist wrote:
I developed a meditation system for myself and others on the spectrum:

http://echoing.neurelitism.com

Great site loads of info I bookmarked it THANKS!

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2018, 10:55 pm

Oh my gosh, I love this topic. Sorry to be rude and generalise but I thought a lot of people on the spectrum looked down on self help techniques such as yoga and meditation.

I am naturally anxious, especially due to my environment but yoga and meditation definitely helps when coping with sensory overload, for both information processing and natural environmental factors
I won't say it helps me get rid of my anxiety but rather it helps me accept it, live with it and sometimes even appreciate it

Elenna488
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2018, 5:51 pm

I tried yoga it didn't work it was to slow and I got easily bored although I was doing to try and work on coordination and following directions. Have you tried sensory breaks that what my therapist recommends when I have anxiety which is pretty much all the time.

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2018, 12:44 am

Yes, most certainly.
Add pilates and perhaps tai chi, and the fact that there are a whole heap of different sorts of meditations that you can do, and it will do you wonders for sure.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 May 2018, 4:09 pm

I never tried yoga but I have tried meditation before it doesn't work for me cuz of my ADD(nonhyper ADHD). Sometimes when trying to shut my mind off while falling alseep, my thoughts just keep wondering. They're NOT rapid but it's like they just keep going off on tangents. I'm always thinking of things unrelated to what I'm trying to do or focus on & the harder I try to focus or stop & relax, the worse it gets. I'm more relaxed when I'm not trying to shut my mind off or anything. I function better when I'm letting myself daydream while doing whatever. Medication has helped me some thou. Buspar helps my anxiety alot & that allows me to fall asleep easier & not feel as stressed. Wellbutrin/Bupropion helps me focus a tad easier but I'm still daydreaming but I'm focusing on the moment a tad more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2018, 3:56 am

I would say yoga or meditation is beneficial.