Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2010, 2:41 pm

I used to work in healthcare with profoundly developmentally disabled adults and children. Most of them had seizures. I have seen laughing seizures, violent seizures, vagrant stare seizures, all kinds. All of them involve the muscles in the body becoming rigid. I am wondering if there are seizures that do not make the body go rigid, but actually make them go limp?

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2010, 2:44 pm

My 21 month old son (who is NT but has other issues) has 'gone blank' suddenly and become very limp (while sitting) for about 15 - 30 seconds 3x in the past 1.5 weeks. It really scared me because it was different than 'day dreaming' or something like that. It didn't seem right.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 3:50 pm

i know nothing about seizures, but google is my friend!

"During an atonic seizure (also known as a drop attack, an astatic seizure or an akinetic seizure), some of your muscles suddenly go limp. Your head may fall to your chest, your legs buckle, your posture slip and droop; you may even collapse."

so yes =/ you should look into that farther.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 3:56 pm

My husband has seizures. One minute he is fine , he gets a bit of a warning when his head goes fuzzy and he can't speak, then boom, down he goes. He just drops to the floor. No convulsions or rigidity, but a sudden total loss of muscle control. He is currently being treated by a neurologist with dilantin.

So yes, a seizure can cause you to go limp.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 4:16 pm

I have been told I stiffen up like a plank then
thrash a bit, then "go dead" before I caome back.

I cant remember anything.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 4:18 pm

There is a girl in my daughter's social skills classes that has frequent absence seizures. It doesn't involve her muscles but you can tell there is a definite marked decrease in cognitive function during the seizures.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2010, 8:17 pm

The first time I immediately felt 'this is a seizure'.

I don't mean to sound hesitent to call the doc, but what will they do? Will he tell me to wait until it happens again? Can they tell if he had a seizure a few days ago? Will they immediately start testing?

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 8:08 am

I don't know much about childhood seizures, but for my husband they have done CT scans, MRI with contrast injection and an EEG. I would consult with a doctor. Seizures and loss of consciousness can be very serious.