Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2010, 7:18 am

I've just become self-employed, and between jobs I'm collecting electronic scrap and salvaging the copper and aluminum from these. I've also been salvaging lead-acid batteries for recycling. Now, with a little help from Mr. HNO3, I'm also extracting some gold from some of the PCBs that have a high gold content.

And you thought I was swindling some old lady's fortune with a bit of lovin'

.....gehhrrrrrrr :P :P

Gruntre
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2010, 7:56 am

How are the fumes?

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2010, 8:26 am

It's not bad. Little puffs of NoO2 come out, but if I'm more than 30cm away from the glass container, I'm OK - mind you, I'm only using dilute nitric acid. Aqua regia (nitro-hydrochloric acid) and sodium metabisulphide are far, far worse. You'll need proper ventilation with goggles and a breathing apparatus if you muck around with those.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 8:34 am

Will you recover enough to make it worth your while? Interesting.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

what are you doing agin? getting gold from PCs? how does that work?

dont you have to have alot of computers to get any significant ammount?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Nov 2010, 6:49 am

I'm mining nose gold rite now :roll:

That's a good way to make a little money by recycling WhiteRaven but that stuff can be very hard on your hands. A former coworker of mine used to strip wire & lots of other stuff & he had corporal tunnel & other hand issues partly related from that. The kinds of tools you use might make a difference.

How much is gold worth rite now :?: I have a small gold coin that has a pic of a man panning for gold & I have a very small gold nugget pendent. I was quoted a price of $100 for em both about 3/4 years ago by someone who was into that stuff. I didn't feel like selling then.
One of my friends is into panning for gold & stuff but he never really found any. I'm thinking about offering to sell it to him(1ce he pays me back some money he owes me). Any idea of how much it would be worth now if it was worth $100 4years ago :?:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm

Actually, I thought that you were panning for gold at a river somewhere. It's great that you're getting a little extra by recycling those different parts. :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:09 pm

Sell it to these guys when you're done :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIjLByeG-M[/youtube]

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2010, 2:45 pm

The price of 1 ounce of 999 gold (99.95% gold metal) is around $1300 US dollars in the stock market. I don't expect to get that much, cus' I won't be able (yet) to get it that pure. Yes, I need lots of computers to extract the gold, but fortunately, I've been getting lots of obsolete and dead ones; I've been recycling the useful parts instead of these going into landfill.