Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 4:26 pm

Still not necessary.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 5:28 pm

Not as necessary, although there is a minute risk of someone bothering to write malware to target Macs. There are antivirus programs for Macs and Linux.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

if you need it, ie for noble reasons - not passing macros onto Windows users :P, you can use "ClamXAV".
i think theres like one doing the rounds at the mo - its a Java trojan that affects Win/Mac/Linux, but the central server only contains a payload for Win/Mac. Thats ONE for Mac & Linux. compared to at least *insert random figure* for Windows.

if you need/want it, Google:ClamXAV. its free.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:25 pm

You won't need it. But I used McAfee's Virex from school, works decently well.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:23 pm

I don't know much about virus protection for Macs... what type of protection is their for Macs & when would you need it?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:51 pm

You won't get any malware on your Mac unless you install it yourself and give it admin permission, but I'm quite paranoid, so I do a scan with iAntivirus every so often anyway.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:34 pm

Peko wrote:
I don't know much about virus protection for Macs... what type of protection is their for Macs & when would you need it?

There's ClamAV, which basically just screens to make sure you aren't forwarding e-mail viruses to vulnerable Windows users. There's Symantec Endpoint Protection, which mostly just slows down your computer without doing anything useful. Those are pretty much the main players in Mac antivirus. There is no situation in which you would need it, given that there are no Mac viruses out in the wild, and any new one written would get past existing antivirus programs anyways.

There is some malware for Mac- a couple of trojans you can get if you're dumb enough to torrent iWork, some phishing schemes if you click on shady links, etc. Basically, don't be an idiot and your Mac is secure enough.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:26 pm

I think Sophos also has a free AV for mac.