Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Tanks
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2010, 7:05 am

My son sings to block out the sounds of people all talking at once, he says loud and continuous talking ''makes him go a bit mad''. Sings at the top of his voice, sometimes shouts. With other loud noises, he covers his ears. I've discovered recently hes also singing in school.
anyone have experience of this?

authormum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2010, 7:52 am

but definitely the ear covering in response to loud noises. My son would totally freak when balloons burst at parties when he was younger or if a jet or helicopter passed over low - and we lived near an naval air station at the time, so this happened regularly. Also if a large truck drove by on the street - I think the vibration combined with the noise made for extra torment. And forget it if we went by somewhere where they were using jackhammers. Ugh.

One thing that *really* helped him was Auditory Integration Training. We did two rounds of it, about three years apart. It helped with the sound sensitivity and also with his ability to focus, because it helped him with the ability to tune out the background noise and focus on what the teacher was saying in class.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 8:28 am

My son doesn't appear to be sensitive to loud noises, he actually seems to enjoy hearing loud noises. My son also loves to sing at the top of his lungs and make strange noises really loud. This is our #1 problem with him right now. He can't seem to understand that he is not supposed to make these noises while in class. He is very verbal and speaking in complete sentences, but loves to self stimulate with noise making. He seems able to learn if he wants to, but when he doesn't want to work, he will start with his noisemaking.

I have read alot, and I think it does have some link to auditory processing. I have started my son on a therapeutic listening program, he has been doing it for about a month, and so far, nothing has changed. I have read that this may be a way of the child trying to fine tune their auditory system?

If you find a solution for this, I would love to hear about it!!

ksjourdain
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2010, 8:48 am

My daughter barks like a dog when she's really excited.

I got the school to let her wear her iPod in class during work-time. The regular sounds (which are quite loud! she made me a recording) of the classroom are overwhelming to her, but it seems if she picks the sound (a song) herself, she's okay with it.

authormum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2010, 8:55 am

ksjourdain wrote:

I got the school to let her wear her iPod in class during work-time. The regular sounds (which are quite loud! she made me a recording) of the classroom are overwhelming to her, but it seems if she picks the sound (a song) herself, she's okay with it.

Ha! I tell my son it's so ironic that the kid who used to be totally sensitive to noise now loves HEAVY METAL of all things! Go figure...

Still, I bought him a pair of industrial strength ear defenders for when he goes to concerts, because he still finds amplified music or noise of any kind a problem.

Tanks
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2010, 9:08 am

Am glad I'm not alone. hes 10 and I can;t believe I've only noticed this. I thought he was attention seeking because people were talking. The sschool are also of the opinion that hes an attention seeker and see this as bad behaviour. he has SPD so I did know about it but I guess its just recently the penny has dropped and I realise, hes not being bold, hes just self soothing. Now how do I get others to understand that I wonder....

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 9:13 am

I do a little of that. Not loudly, but under my breath, I'll recite poetry or sing songs so that I can just focus on that and tune out all of the maddening input around me. I'm sure it must look odd to anyone watching (but then again, I don't really assume anyone's watching that closely), but it helps to generate some sound or something that requires my attention (like having to remember words and melodies) so that I can drive my focus toward that and try to use it to fill my senses to replace the noises and input around me.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 12:19 pm

MY DS is quite sensitive to sounds.

Would yours wear a pair of earphones or earplugs during those times when its OK to do so? I mean not when the teacher is giving a lesson but at other times when he needs the background noise filtered out. This would be a very easy accomodation to make in the classroom.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 2:47 pm

Tanks, does your son have an IEP in place? The school should not be treating this as bad behavior. They should be working to help find a solution to help your son cope better.

vikingwoman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2010, 10:37 pm

My son (11 almost 12) started talking to himself a few years ago and now its really getting distracting. I have been gently telling him that he's talking to himself - he's funny - he says "its the one way I can be assured I'm having an intelligent conversation!" Anyway, it seems to be getting louder and more prevalent - now I'm wondering if this self stimulation is really auditory related.

He has a tough time with receptive speech. He doesn't turn when his name is called and his processing is very slow - yet he understands everything...

If anyone has more information about that therapy and how I can get my son some treatment I would appreciate it.

Tanks
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2010, 10:19 am

No IEP yet. Next week its scheduled. yes they do treat this as bad behaviour along with the other stuff, your rude, impolite, disrespectful.... he hasn;t a clue what hes doing wrong. To be honest my son at age 10 has a v hard time in school. Up to me to make this IEP meeting count and try to make things better. Its not easy when they don't know what they are talking about.