can autistic people have amnesia, dementia and alzheimers?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ivegotyou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2010, 11:00 am

can they?

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:07 am

Of course. I see no reason why they should be incapable that.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:07 am

Of course.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:09 am

Certainly.

Each of these are neurological conditions that can result from things such as concussions, chemical damage, genetics or in the case of alzheimers an as yet unknown degenerative mechanism in the brain.

Autism is considered a structural difference in the brain. That structure can just as easily be damaged by the things that cause dementia as any NT brain. It may manifest differently, but damage is damage.

Last edited by wavefreak58 on 15 Nov 2010, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:09 am

We are the chosen ones, ofcourse we can't :P

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:12 am

No matter how a particular (human) brain is structured and what its genetic setup is like, in the end it will always degenerate due to age, which is just another way to spell dementia.

Neither do I see any reason why it should not malfunction (amnesia) or display an inherited impairment (Alzheimer's) just because its genetic setup is not the most common one.

ivegotyou

15 Nov 2010, 11:19 am

Wallourdes wrote:

there are no signs of humans evolving into autistics more and more as the years pass by.

ret*ds might as well be the chosen ones because their brain is so damaged or different that they dont get things like that :roll:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:43 am

ivegotyou wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

there are no signs of humans evolving into autistics more and more as the years pass by.

I believe Wallourdes was being sarcastic. At least, I hope so... :lol:

The year is still young.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:49 am

Ambivalence wrote:
ivegotyou wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

I believe Wallourdes was being sarcastic. At least, I hope so... :lol:

That's right :)

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm

I really hate seeing someone call anyone else a ret*d. I have a daughter who is ret*d. The term should not be used as approbation. Also you are factually incorrect about people with retardation not getting Alzheimer's. You may be thinking of people with Down's Syndrome who seem to be protected against Alzheimer's.
Please excuse my sensitivity about that, Ivegotyou.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 1:31 pm

Hell, all Aspies have full-blown Alzheimers, dementia or whatever its called, on the social side

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 1:41 pm

Simonono wrote:
Hell, all Aspies have full-blown Alzheimers, dementia or whatever its called, on the social side

I don't think that's true. My grandmother has dementia, so I have some experience to draw upon.

Basically, Aspies get born wit very poor social skills and some of us learn to cover that up or improve on their social skills. Demented people start out with a more or less normal range of skills (the problem here is the definition of "normal") and they lose those over time.

But what I can agree with is that demented people (and people with Alzheimer's, which is very similar to dementia in many respects) can appear socially impaired in much the same way that Aspies are. They cannot understand what is going on in other people, they are baffled by emotions and they have problems reading body language. My granny seems to live in her own world much of the time and some demented people I have met in the senior's residence where she used to live hardly reacted to the presence of other people at all. Many are scared of strangers and cannot handle change of any kind. When faced with stress, many demented show habits of stimming, talking to themselves and self-harm.

Still, Asperger's, dementia and Alzheimer's are three seperate conditions with seperate causes that do in no way exclude each other.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2010, 2:02 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
in the case of alzheimers an as yet unknown degenerative mechanism in the brain.

Well, we know what causes the degeneration in Alzheimer's - its plaque buildup that interferes with the functioning of neurons. We just don't know yet what sets that mechanism in motion. In any case, I had a relative who died of Alzheimer's several years before I was diagnosed with AS and I'm convinced they had AS, too. Just because our wiring is slightly different than everyone else doesn't mean we can't be affected by the same types of malfunctions as they are.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 3:01 pm

I've been called "demented" although I don't have dementia, in the medical sense.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 3:25 pm

lelia wrote:
I really hate seeing someone call anyone else a ret*d. I have a daughter who is ret*d. The term should not be used as approbation. Also you are factually incorrect about people with retardation not getting Alzheimer's. You may be thinking of people with Down's Syndrome who seem to be protected against Alzheimer's.
Please excuse my sensitivity about that, Ivegotyou.

I also don't like that word. It brings back memories.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 3:27 pm

I think that everybody has a chance of getting it.