Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2010, 1:11 pm

bubzy wrote:
It really is fascinating here in a place like Juneau, Alaska. We are surrounded by steep mountains and glaciers with the Juneau ice field on the other side of the mountains. We are right on the Inner Channels on the mainland, where mountainous islands block the maritime air giving us colder temperatures than the coast. It is fascinating to see the variability from year to year, some years it will snow over 200 inches, other years just a mere 24 inches. Ice and snow is visible year round though, and people dog sled on the ice field in the summer time!

Beautiful place! I've was there in July of '07. Perfect T-shirt weather and ice & snow visible on the peaks.

Charles

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 1:50 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I'm very, VERY fascinated, and placed in awe, by violent weather. It's second only to having an (mature/adult word that begins with "O" and ends in an "M"), to see a wild and raging thunderstorm :P ! I don't know how else to describe it. I don't understand the reason for this fascination on an intellectual level, but maybe I don't have to.

I'm envious of people living in sections of the country that regularly see strong convection. The Pacific Northwest is a lightning deprived place. In Seattle we can go an entire year with only a couple noticable claps of thunder. If I didn't have to worry about working I'd plan a month long storm watching trip out to the Dakotas in June or July.