Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2010, 4:53 pm

Since I was 5 I have had a fascination with weather. I love to look through all the weather statistics for all sorts of places in the world. Is there anyone else has a special interest with weather data and how weather and climate works? I wonder how I can put such a special interest to use. By the way, I am male and 29.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2010, 5:49 pm

I've never had a thing for statistics, but I love clouds, hurricanes, and tornadoes. I loved learning about how twisters formed in grade school. I got really into hurricanes when one directly hit and really messed up the town I was in (it was so amazing!! :D .... :? ). Also, I've always found clouds fascinating and I stare at them and take pictures of them a lot.

You can get a degree in meteorology or something similar and maybe work for a weather station, news station doing weather, etc. You could also chase tornadoes or track/report storms on location. There may be a career where you document weather stats for historical or academic purposes.

bubzy

19 Nov 2010, 6:02 pm

Yeah, looking at statistics and attempting to predict the long range weather patterns would be a fun hobby for now. I like examining the different micro-climates where I live and trying to figure out why the temperature and precipitation varies widely over short distances. I always look forward to a good storm, and sunny days are relatively boring.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

I've also had a facination with the weather. I like to visit the website for The Weather Network. I look at the Hourly graph to see what the weather is going to do every hour, for the next three days.

bubzy

19 Nov 2010, 6:51 pm

That is exactly what I like to do. Maybe we could start a thread talking about weather and climate. I always thought it would be fun to print out a long range forecast and compare it to what actually happens in different geographical areas. It would be neat to see where it is the most and least difficult to forecast the weather and why. Perhaps I like this topic so much because I can not control it, it is like it's own living organism and it gives everyone in the world something to talk about.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 7:26 pm

Eh, probably your special interest.

Although several years ago I was pretty interested in weather too, one of the only bearable parts about science class. When that unit ended... grr. But I like looking at meteorology and stuff sometimes.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 9:22 pm

bubzy wrote:
Since I was 5 I have had a fascination with weather. I love to look through all the weather statistics for all sorts of places in the world. Is there anyone else has a special interest with weather data and how weather and climate works? I wonder how I can put such a special interest to use. By the way, I am male and 29.

Certain aspects though I'm not active in the hobby at the moment.

I remember one Spring day in a city I used to live in in Southern California, at 12 noon it was 29F. That was a record low! I had to buy a beanie so my ears didn't freeze.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm

I have also had a fascination with the weather since I was a little kid.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 2:00 am

bubzy wrote:

Me too. I took a university climatology course and even cloud physics. You might want to consider a degree in metereology or climatology?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 2:10 am

I was into weather when I was ten. Always watched the weather channel and read a book about it. I'd find other books about it too at the library or order books on it in the book order. This was before internet came into my life.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 3:09 am

You're not alone. I'm a weather fanatic. I'm actually doing research in the field of atmospheric science. My current thesis involves modelling certain types of planetary-scale weather/climate variability in the tropics.

I've loved storms / exciting weather and have had a unique fascination with the striking visual beauty of our atmosphere since the age of 5 or 6. I've also been into sky photography as a hobby and have chased storms.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Nov 2010, 6:50 am

I love the weather...all kinds of it. It seems to be inherited by brother is an ametur tornado chaser. I have been interested in tornados since one dirrectly hit the day care that I was at.
It is like once youve been hit, your been bit

stgiordanobruno
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2010, 7:30 am

I am a real fanatic with weather I have even built myself a Stephenson Screen and have a particular fascinations with heatwaves. So far the highest temperature I have ever recorded was 44.1 degrees Celsius (111 degrees Fahrenheit) on the 7th February 2009.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:07 am

I love clouds and air/water currents.

Clouds are fascinating.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2010, 12:11 pm

I'm very, VERY fascinated, and placed in awe, by violent weather. It's second only to having an (mature/adult word that begins with "O" and ends in an "M"), to see a wild and raging thunderstorm :P ! I don't know how else to describe it. I don't understand the reason for this fascination on an intellectual level, but maybe I don't have to.

Charles

bubzy

20 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

It really is fascinating here in a place like Juneau, Alaska. We are surrounded by steep mountains and glaciers with the Juneau ice field on the other side of the mountains. We are right on the Inner Channels on the mainland, where mountainous islands block the maritime air giving us colder temperatures than the coast. It is fascinating to see the variability from year to year, some years it will snow over 200 inches, other years just a mere 24 inches. Ice and snow is visible year round though, and people dog sled on the ice field in the summer time!