Top Asperger's syndrome problem issues

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 12:45 pm

For me the number one issue is interacting with other people. It's not just that I feel awkward and don't know what to say, but that other people have a disquieting "otherness" about them. They are like constantly moving targets that are constantly aware, always looking for a response from you. Interacting with them is like standing in the middle of the road with a truck bearing down on you.

That issue is so overwhelming that it dwarfs all others.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 4:44 pm

bee33 wrote:
They are like constantly moving targets that are constantly aware, always looking for a response from you.

I think this is a very eloquent way to put it. I can recognize parts of this issue in myself. For me, it's rare that I go on "autopilot" when interacting with anyone. It requires a constant vigilance which is exhausting.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Dec 2010, 6:29 pm

Its all downhill if you have aspergers :pig:

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 6:04 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I am 40 and have been diagnosed recently.

Yes, it is a bit like Monopoly or Scrabble when you suddenly discover that the established rules (that you have been playing by since childhood) are wrong, and have to relearn the game with the official rules.

Since learning the term executive function, I have seen more and more examples of where I have poor function and it has been helpful. I used to use a lot of tidying, organization, notes and lists. I got out of the habit during a long illness, and am having to get back into it - all the order and reminders are like a mental prosthesis that hides the poor function.