Page 1 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 10:30 am

there is another thread about this, but its in random discussion, and noone really replied much http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums-posti ... 45173.html

so i thought id bump it/steal it, and stick it here.

i heard this programme on radio 4- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t5yfw which i thought- surprisingly for radio 4, which is usually fairly..reasoned- seemed to really have their knives out for him.

anyway, i waited throughout the programme for 'he clearly has AS'- but noone said it, which i was really surprised by.

even if i was non AS, and knew little about it, id assume he had it- he's just the stereotypical 'weird' computer wizard.

add in the (SO a.s.) crusade for truth and justice, his quiet, speech, and oddly peripetatic lifestyle, -he just seems blatantly AS. there is a fair bit on online chatter about it, but im surprised his legal team havent tested him for it, even as a delaying tactic.

(admittedly, im also entranced by the rest of the background to the case- wikileaks 'office' is in a cave in a mountain!! ! etc..).

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2010, 10:34 am

Nah he's way too functional for that.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 10:35 am

I would think more narcissistic than anything else. I doubt the purity of his motives.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2010, 10:35 am

Ariela wrote:
Nah he's way too functional for that.

I don't think being functional and having asperger's are mutually exclusive.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 10:46 am

I think the personality cult isn't helping the mission.

KakashiYay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2010, 10:47 am

It's almost certain.

The New Yorker did a great piece on him last summer, and talked about his youth, and how his "handlers" need to tell him to bathe, eat, sleep, etc, as he gets so into whatever he's doing that he can't do a lot of basic self-care.

And what is this "he's too high-functioning" BS? Looks like someone needs to read a lot more about AS...

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 10:50 am

*cough* yes- bill gates is widely believed to have AS- s'not like he's low functioning.

anyway- seriously- there are people with As in all walks of life- eg (the UK) our last prime minister -gordon brown.

and being a narcassist would not preclude one from having AS anyway... anyway, my money's on Assange being AS.

i have no idea re- his motives- but he clearly has a big old obsession for what he's doing.

PLUS he's got Sarah-i-can-see-russia-from-my-house-Palin foaming at the mouth, which is always entertaining (he cant be tried for treason unless he's american, honey).

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 11:02 am

misslottie wrote:
*cough* yes- bill gates is widely believed to have AS- s'not like he's low functioning.

anyway- seriously- there are people with As in all walks of life- eg (the UK) our last prime minister -gordon brown.

and being a narcassist would not preclude one from having AS anyway... anyway, my money's on Assange being AS.

i have no idea re- his motives- but he clearly has a big old obsession for what he's doing.

PLUS he's got Sarah-i-can-see-russia-from-my-house-Palin foaming at the mouth, which is always entertaining (he cant be tried for treason unless he's american, honey).

He may be AS, but I have real problems with anyone so convinced of their righteousness. It's no less offensive to me than government's convictions of there absolute correctness. Assange and his zealous proselytes are 'saving the world' in their own minds. Pfft. I've heard that before. (sorry, my cynicism is showing)

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 11:11 am

yes- but the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of his actions is irrelivent to whether or not he has AS.

i was convinced (when i was small, i may add) that the goodies was the best tv programme there ever could be. clearly- i was wrong in this, but my AS obsession blinkered me to other possibilities (the muppets, tiswas, wirzel gummage, rentaghost).

his obession - government secrecy, truth telling etc- doesnt prevent him from being any, or none, of the criticisms levelled at him- narcassist etc.

disgarding the moral crusade aspect, he remains someone who presents a resolutly AS face to the world.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 11:20 am

He does not seem to be "social akward".

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 11:22 am

misslottie wrote:
yes- but the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of his actions is irrelivent to whether or not he has AS.

i was convinced (when i was small, i may add) that the goodies was the best tv programme there ever could be. clearly- i was wrong in this, but my AS obsession blinkered me to other possibilities (the muppets, tiswas, wirzel gummage, rentaghost).

his obession - government secrecy, truth telling etc- doesnt prevent him from being any, or none, of the criticisms levelled at him- narcassist etc.

disgarding the moral crusade aspect, he remains someone who presents a resolutly AS face to the world.

indeed, it's enough that he believes he is right.
i watched the video of his interview, and i instantly thought "ah ok, that's why people here seem to speak about him so much, he's AS..."so i guess i was mislead. i don't know and i couldn't tell, he is very fidgety and you can almost "feel "him sitting straight and keeping his arms by his side. His speech is flowing in a good NT way but it could be all scripts since it's his work he is talking about. he looks youthful though...how old is he?

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 11:25 am

'He does not seem to be "social akward".'

but not everyone is!! im not- you're really forgetting how much of a spectrum there is in AS. i appear 'normal' im just god awful at loads of invisible stuff you wouldnt notice on speaking to me. esp in someone with late DX- one compensates, and hides things.

he comes across as being...unusual; quiet, measured, watchful almost; as though he's listening with his eyes, too... which is how i am sometimes. trying to discern, dissemble what's being said. the whole seems-like-a-foreign-language-thing.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 11:26 am

ediself wrote:
he looks youthful though...how old is he?

He's 39. He looked a lot more youthful back in 2007 when he was drumming up support and didn't have the worlds governments chasing him around.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 11:27 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
misslottie wrote:

He may be AS, but I have real problems with anyone so convinced of their righteousness. It's no less offensive to me than government's convictions of there absolute correctness. Assange and his zealous proselytes are 'saving the world' in their own minds. Pfft. I've heard that before. (sorry, my cynicism is showing)

ASsange topic

There may well be a fine line between AS and obsession-compulsion, and also some paranoid delusional thinking processes may be present in more than a few AS or OC. Some very artistic/highly creative people also have traits. I wonder if Julian's mother knows?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 11:28 am

He's 39. He looked a lot more youthful back in 2007 when he was drumming up support and didn't have the worlds governments chasing him around.[/quote]

ha ha . quite.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2010, 11:39 am

Quote:
There may well be a fine line between AS and obsession-compulsion, and also some paranoid delusional thinking processes may be present in more than a few AS or OC. Some very artistic/highly creative people also have traits. I wonder if Julian's mother knows?

*gasps* you're calling this man paranoid?
he's in solitary confinement for 23 1/2 hours a day, not allowed anything to read, w interpol after him- and the sweidsh case hasnt even been presented yet- the US govt put the thumb screws on visa, mastercard and paypal, and his site has been getting hacked.
i'd be peeing myself in fear.

anyway, i maintain he seems more AS than anything else- come on- he's the classic computer geek presentation. that's markedly more AS alone- plus add in all the rest. im surprised finers stephens havent had him tested.

also -what should his mother know? ?????

Last edited by misslottie on 15 Dec 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.