Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 9:47 am

Hello,
I just wondered if there are any other phd students here. If so, how do you find being a phd student? Just curious about how my experience compares with that of other aspies. I'm studying chemistry and often feel like I'm going slightly mad whenever I have to deal with the undergrads asking me where things are and how things work. It's like my brain crumbles when someone is looking at me to know the answers.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 11:52 am

I am a PhD student :)

I have a great programme and I like that I have a day-to-day schedule with a designated place. Those with whom I are around are great. About being a demonstrator (or TA, depending upon your programme) - It is good experience. When I was a TA (previous programme) I tried to keep it in perspective; that is, you cannot possibly answer every question in great detail. Instead, just choose maybe 1 or 2 major questions/topics to address. I often use my written notes for those students instead of explaining.

SunConure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2010, 11:57 am

Hi Gremmie,

I'm a Master's student, not a PhD student, but maybe I will be one day. I also know a PhD student who I suspect is an Aspie. We're both in Zoology. I find it fun, but stressful.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 12:01 pm

Been a LONG time since I WAS a POhD candidate - fun but stressfulk is about the size of it - but I have more recently supervized candidates who I have NO doubt were spectral.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 5:13 am

LabPet wrote:
I am a PhD student :)

I have a great programme and I like that I have a day-to-day schedule with a designated place. Those with whom I are around are great. About being a demonstrator (or TA, depending upon your programme) - It is good experience. When I was a TA (previous programme) I tried to keep it in perspective; that is, you cannot possibly answer every question in great detail. Instead, just choose maybe 1 or 2 major questions/topics to address. I often use my written notes for those students instead of explaining.

Unfortunately it's generally the undergrad students doing their final year project in our lab that make me stressed. They only have me or my supervisor to ask questions of, and he's often busy with other things. I've ended up being the only postgraduate student of my supervisor which means that I don't have anyone to look to for clues about how to manage things. Also we don't have space for me to have a seat in one of the postgrad offices so I'm very cut off from all of the other phd students. I just don't know if there is any way that I can make it better and less stressful.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 2:32 pm

Well it was years ago that I was a PhD student.

I can not say that it was an easy time of my life, I had to work very hard. I also experienced both wounderful times and nightmarish times. But overall it was a good experience for me which made me develop more as an independant thinker. I once remarked to a fellow PhD student that the undergrads might complain that we postgrads do not have written exams, he said that the best thing to say is that everyday is an exam for a PhD student.

The problem is that nobody gives you the problem sheet or question booklet, you have to work out what the question fo the day is to be able to work out an answer for it. This makes life as a PhD student both hard and very exciting.

I now have PhD students to supervise, out of respect for their privacy I will not discuss them here.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 9:21 pm

I am finishing off my Masters Atm. Will be commencing a Phd when its done.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2010, 1:48 am

What parts of being a PhD are the most challenging for you? Which parts are the easiest? Anything that you thought would be easy that turned out to be hard, or vice versa?

(I'm going to start grad school for my PhD in a couple years, so the more details the better! Thanks!)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 7:29 am

Mosaicofminds wrote:
What parts of being a PhD are the most challenging for you? Which parts are the easiest? Anything that you thought would be easy that turned out to be hard, or vice versa?

(I'm going to start grad school for my PhD in a couple years, so the more details the better! Thanks!)

I think a priority is to have a strongly organised and cogent plan. Research never has time restrictions, as it evolves over time (as it should!) so allow flexibility in your research. But your goals are to be clearly defined. Your supervisor is very significant in that your research and career goals are to be parallel to his/hers. Importantly, have a research community/group. No one can be a scientist (or whatever your field) in a vacuum, so to speak. Keep a professional journal with a schedule.

Most challenging? I think I lack confidence (although I might show all right to others - don't know) and I don't speak much. I already know many are far stronger, verbally, but I have my own strengths and they are unique. Develop your own style and be consistent.

Easiest? Well, I like having a schedule/routine with a place (desk/office/lab). By convention, any PhD student needs to devote his/her time to research. This means keep the rest of your life rather bland. I'd guess your PhD programme is 4 years (?) - reserve this time for your research. So, keep your home-life simple and don't make any major changes. As far as free-time? I guess keep that uplifting and try to attend cultural activities, etc. Stay physically active and healthy. Do join a science organisations in your region. For example, for chemistry, I know there's a Chemist's Society (in the UK).

Gee....hope that did not seem like a lecture (did not mean it that way, I promise)!