Why do parents react worse to females going on a date?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2010, 2:16 pm

I suspect it's an artifact of those days where girls were treated like property in western society.

Short and simple version: It's patriarchal bs.

We've come a long way, but we still have farther to go.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 3:42 pm

leejosepho wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
Or they'll move on and date someone who has a better idea of what two people of opposite genders can do together for fun and pleasure ...

... and thus mere "dating" becomes great practice for divorce if either eventually actually marries.

For folks willing to just enjoy ice cream for a while, courting is ultimately a much more fulfilling type of interaction.

Maybe that's the key part -- people finding like people with regards to that aspect. Personally, I would sure hate to get into a binding financial and moral legal agreement (also known as a marriage) without having sampled the goods, or without knowing if we really were sexually compatible.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 4:24 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
Personally, I would sure hate to get into a binding financial and moral legal agreement (also known as a marriage) without having sampled the goods, or without knowing if we really were sexually compatible.

alicedress wrote:
... an artifact of those days where girls were treated like property ...

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2010, 5:09 pm

leejosepho wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
Personally, I would sure hate to get into a binding financial and moral legal agreement (also known as a marriage) without having sampled the goods, or without knowing if we really were sexually compatible.

alicedress wrote:

If you're trying to say that still happens, I agree. ;) It's just not at the same level as it was in the past.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 5:09 pm

leejosepho wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:

alicedress wrote:

Don't know what state you live in, but here in CA, marriage cuts equally both ways, and the man is just as much property as the woman is. If the marriage doesn't work out, everything becomes community property and gets split 50-50. So viewed there, and considering that most men bring more assets to the marriage, who really is the "property" there?

Either way, getting married without having sex first is a pretty risky proposition. The irony here being that those who would take that risk (the religiously conserverative) don't usually gamble in the rest of their lives! :P

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 7:41 pm

Pretty much whats been said already, women are more likely to get pregnant, taken advantage of, or end up hurt.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 10:59 pm

Rhapsody wrote:
I'm pretty sure parents react to their daughters going on a date like that because they're worried about them. After all, parents are protective of their children. Also, some of them may have trouble coping with the idea that their daughter is growing up or have control issues. Plus, dates can be dangerous, especially if the parents don't know the guy well. A lot of abuse goes on in the dating scene. Date rape can also be devastating. And if the girl does end up getting pregnant, like Hale_bopp said, the guy will more likely than not skip out. There's a lot for girls to worry about when it comes to dating, after all, and it's only natural that the people who care for them would worry too.

Its this. Even without the pregnancy issue to worry about the world is not necessarily a safe place for a young woman.

Also with regards to the virginity thing. In most developed and western countries a womans worth is not in whether or not she is a virgin. Most men and women these days have sexual partners long before they are married and virginity does not carry much weight.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2010, 12:23 am

Oh yes, all us womenfolk are delicate flowers that need to be protected. :roll:

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 1:01 am

Mindslave wrote:

If women had decent taste in men, there wouldn't be a human race.

:lol:

As for the OP's question, I don't know. But I've noticed that generalization too. My parents say they worry about me more as a girl in regards to being in dangerous parts of town and stuff...I think it's usually just parents worrying about guys taking advantage of their daughters, maybe?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 2:28 am

alicedress wrote:

The majority of you are, yourself probably included. Hell my girlfriend has been to jail for "assault with a deadly weapon" (a table, in a bar fight) which was dropped because it was self defense and she's beat up a dude twice her size with her bare hands. She's also been raped in the past year and almost raped a second time and in a fight I'd have her beat. She benches 160lbs, but that's not enough that you don't need protection. I'm not the strongest dude on the streets nor do I carry the best weapons but I ALWAYS have 3 pocket knives on me for opening boxes and working on my car and I can jerk 170lbs, bench 200lbs and squat 300lbs, the chances of a guy trying to mug me are much slimmer than a woman, the chances of me getting raped are probably 1/100th if not less of what it would be for a woman, etc. Fact of the matter is it's 2:30AM and I could walk through a ghetto right now and as long as I don't walk too slow or look at anyone nobody is going to f**k with me, and I do live in a bad neighborhood, could you really say the same?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:30 am

Its true, my brother got all the praise in the world once mom and dad got to know his girlfriend but never even gave my boyfriend a chance before writing him off as defective goods :P

starygrrl wrote:
Rhapsody wrote:
I'm pretty sure parents react to their daughters going on a date like that because they're worried about them. After all, parents are protective of their children. Also, some of them may have trouble coping with the idea that their daughter is growing up or have control issues. Plus, dates can be dangerous, especially if the parents don't know the guy well. A lot of abuse goes on in the dating scene. Date rape can also be devastating. And if the girl does end up getting pregnant, like Hale_bopp said, the guy will more likely than not skip out. There's a lot for girls to worry about when it comes to dating, after all, and it's only natural that the people who care for them would worry too.

Its this. Even without the pregnancy issue to worry about the world is not necessarily a safe place for a young woman.

Also with regards to the virginity thing. In most developed and western countries a womans worth is not in whether or not she is a virgin. Most men and women these days have sexual partners long before they are married and virginity does not carry much weight.

Only if you come from a strict religious house hold does virginity hold significant weight as a uterus owner.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:20 pm

alicedress wrote:

Omg, katy is ancient here.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:39 am

i don't blame the parents

cuz

by nature some females are innocent deluded into love/romance,

and based on what i read on the english internet:
most guys nowadays are into the alpha male thing who brags about banging,etc

so next day the guy brags/tells his male friends that he f****d her.
so that boasts his confidence among guys.

im honestly glad i don't belong to such culture. in my culture we believe only in marriage.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

awkward facepalm wrote:
i don't blame the parents

cuz

by nature some females are innocent deluded into love/romance,

and based on what i read on the english internet:
most guys nowadays are into the alpha male thing who brags about banging,etc

so next day the guy brags/tells his male friends that he f****d her.
so that boasts his confidence among guys.

im honestly glad i don't belong to such culture. in my culture we believe only in marriage.

"Friendship Marriage" (zawaj friends) is gaining popularity though in Egypt (not sure if you're from southern Egypt or Sudan, you still didn't confirm), which is equivalent to Friends with Benefits in western cultures.

The "boasting-banging culture" you're talking about is universal among the 'macho men' everywhere and not just the west, so please don't talk about the dominant cultures here as if they're corrupt or unfaithful in relationships.

Western users here can unleash cans of worms and find dozens of unfavorable things in our cultures regarding marriage, women's status and especially women's safety.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.