Why do parents react worse to females going on a date?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NadineWolfe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm

This is generalising, but why is it generally that adults and parents will have a worse reaction to a female going out on a date more than the will for a male?

It isn't something I've experienced myself, but within my friends group it seems that way and I'm just wondering why.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:46 pm

Because at the end of the day, all a girl has is her virginity and she'd better keep that intact if she wants to worth anything in the world.

Edit: For more information, you should contact a member who goes by the username "Wombat."

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm

Because it's a lot harder to find a decent guy to go on a date with, so parents are initially skeptical.

If women had decent taste in men, there wouldn't be a human race.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:58 pm

Mothers are usually all overprotective of their sons, I can't say i've noticed females "not allowed to date" people.. but hmm... its probably more the fact the parents are worried she will get pregnant and they have to pick up the pieces.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2010, 12:04 am

I'm pretty sure parents react to their daughters going on a date like that because they're worried about them. After all, parents are protective of their children. Also, some of them may have trouble coping with the idea that their daughter is growing up or have control issues. Plus, dates can be dangerous, especially if the parents don't know the guy well. A lot of abuse goes on in the dating scene. Date rape can also be devastating. And if the girl does end up getting pregnant, like Hale_bopp said, the guy will more likely than not skip out. There's a lot for girls to worry about when it comes to dating, after all, and it's only natural that the people who care for them would worry too.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:02 am

You have to worry about the girl getting pregnate then bring home an unplanned child that the parents may have to help raise if the father is a dead beat. You also have to worry about date rape especially if the parents do not know the guy.

With boys all you have to do is put a condome in his pocket and tell him no means no then send him on his merry way.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 2:18 am

NadineWolfe wrote:
This is generalising, but why is it generally that adults and parents will have a worse reaction to a female going out on a date more than the will for a male?

It isn't something I've experienced myself, but within my friends group it seems that way and I'm just wondering why.

They worry that their daughters will be taken advantage of sexually, or get pregnant before they have the means to raise a child of their own.

NadineWolfe

20 Dec 2010, 8:44 am

Sometimes I hate being female.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 10:28 am

I didn't tell my mother about my guy until we became an official couple. She asked a lot of questions and now wants to meet him. I guess she's a bit protective of her only daughter. D:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 11:06 am

menintights wrote:
Because at the end of the day, all a girl has is her virginity and she'd better keep that intact if she wants to worth anything in the world.

That seems judgemental to me. It's funny that society has never had the same standards on men. Anyway, since when is it anyone else's business if a woman has had sex or not.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 11:15 am

I would question the value of virginity, and how much future husbands or anyone else really values it. Yeah, it might be novel to take someone's virginity, and someone who is really religious might expect it to be intact, but most men, if anything, view a woman with her virginity intact as more of a "hard case" (harder to have sex with, and you have to start from scratch with this person, they have no experience) vs. someone without it. I dumped someone partially because she was a virgin, and I knew I had a long road to go down vs. having sex right now.

Parents stress with daughters on a date because daughters are:

A) more vulnerable, less likely to be able to protect themselves, which could lead to date rape

B) If said daughter gets pregnant, guess who is on the hook? Yeah, the BF is also technically financially responsible, but try enforcing that against some 16 year old kid without a job, or some college student who hasn't even seen life yet. So the parents are looking at economic loss in the short run, with a lot of family disruption as well and a pretty huge life event that will pretty much kill their daughter's chance at college or a career.

So Moms and Dads out there -- get your daughter some birth control! Same goes for your son!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 11:29 am

Mindslave wrote:

That statement is a bit simplistic, but I love it!

Ladies: Just tell the men you already have one butt in your pants and you are not looking to have another one in there right now. Men who are worth your time will respect you for that.

madbirdgirl
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2010, 11:36 am

I think the main reason why parents may privately object to their daughters going on dates is because at a young age, girls and boys have very different ideas of what dating should be about.
A teenage girl is more prone to falling in love, and is less likely to notice when something isn't right with the guy, making her more gullible and vulnerable to all kinds of abuse and sexual exploitation
(not to say that ALL teenage/young adult men want to exploit women... but the bad ones sure do.)

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 11:51 am

leejosepho wrote:
Mindslave wrote:

That statement is a bit simplistic, but I love it!

Ladies: Just tell the men you already have one butt in your pants and you are not looking to have another one in there right now. Men who are worth your time will respect you for that.

Or they'll move on and date someone who has a better idea of what two people of opposite genders can do together for fun and pleasure, while said original lady eats ice cream at home alone with her cats. I guess it comes down to what you want out of life....

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm

The reality is in our society, if a teenage girl gets pregnant, it's generally her problem, and by extension, her parents' problem. The guy, if it's known who he is, won't be paying child support anytime soon, if ever. Parents of the guy will probably adopt a bunker mentality and protect their kid and fight things like genetic testing to determine paternity, and the legal battle becomes as expensive as the child.

There's still some old fashioned double standard about purity and virtue and what not, but IMO, that is not nearly as important as the practical stuff that costs money at the end of the day.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:05 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
Or they'll move on and date someone who has a better idea of what two people of opposite genders can do together for fun and pleasure ...

... and thus mere "dating" becomes great practice for divorce if either eventually actually marries.

For folks willing to just enjoy ice cream for a while, courting is ultimately a much more fulfilling type of interaction.