Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 4:39 pm

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/pa-the-series/205/

I thought this was an interesting discussion. It came about because of the whole thing with the new Thor movie where a Norse god was cast with a black actor. Watch the video. Comment. I think the comic they ended up coming up with for it works...I'm not really that invested in Thor comics so I really could care less but the discussion of the idea of agreeing with racists reluctantly...because, after all, the Norse gods were white...they're Norse gods, right?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 2:56 am

But this really isn't about Northern mythology, but rather Marvel Comics.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:02 am

skafather84 wrote:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/pa-the-series/205/

I thought this was an interesting discussion. It came about because of the whole thing with the new Thor movie where a Norse god was cast with a black actor. Watch the video. Comment. I think the comic they ended up coming up with for it works...I'm not really that invested in Thor comics so I really could care less but the discussion of the idea of agreeing with racists reluctantly...because, after all, the Norse gods were white...they're Norse gods, right?

This sounds like a hoot. If Bernie Schwartz and Izzy Dempsky (Tony Curtiss and Kirk Douglas, respectively) could play Vikings, why can't a black dude play Thor?

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:52 am

I don't see that as a big issue. I imagine Thor can pick his own appearance and would want to be intimidating. A black Thor? Thats badass

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 4:27 am

Vigilans wrote:
I don't see that as a big issue. I imagine Thor can pick his own appearance and would want to be intimidating. A black Thor? Thats badass

Actually, he's playing another Northern god, Heimdall, who guards the Bifrost bridge leading to the gods' home of Asgard.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 6:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Actually, he's playing another Northern god, Heimdall, who guards the Bifrost bridge leading to the gods' home of Asgard.

So Heimdall is a badass assguard.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 1:19 pm

Sand wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

So Heimdall is a badass assguard.

Pretty much.

CaramelCookie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm

How many times have white people made black characters white in movies?? Countless!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm

I always found 70's era blacksploitation films like 'Oz' or whatever hilarious

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 3:45 am

I think the series "Law and Order" is based on real crimes. In many cases those crimes were committed by black people but they are white on the show.

On most of the police shows the main character is white but his BOSS is a black man or woman or at least a woman.

Then there are the "tough women" in the movies who can beat up highly trained men who outweigh her by one hundred pounds. Yeah, right.

Now that "Don't ask don't tell" is history we can expect to see shows about tough faries and dikes.

If this post offends anyone then remember that I am ALREADY offended by the distortion of reality that spews from the movie and TV screens right now.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:42 pm

CaramelCookie wrote:
How many times have white people made black characters white in movies?? Countless!

Yup, and each and every time it's been done it was horrible and a bad idea. This is no different.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 12:11 am

Actually, I would argue that what they are doing is using Political Correctness to justify racism towards whites.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 12:56 am

Wombat wrote:
I think the series "Law and Order" is based on real crimes. In many cases those crimes were committed by black people but they are white on the show.

On most of the police shows the main character is white but his BOSS is a black man or woman or at least a woman.

Then there are the "tough women" in the movies who can beat up highly trained men who outweigh her by one hundred pounds. Yeah, right.

Now that "Don't ask don't tell" is history we can expect to see shows about tough faries and dikes.

If this post offends anyone then remember that I am ALREADY offended by the distortion of reality that spews from the movie and TV screens right now.

Do you really think homosexuals are all whining weaklings? That probably classifies the level of your perceptions quite nicely.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 7:31 am

Sand wrote:
Wombat wrote:

Do you really think homosexuals are all whining weaklings? That probably classifies the level of your perceptions quite nicely.

I know a couple of big meaty Spartan-built gentlemen who bat for the other team. They could certainly twist off a fellows head like a beer cap. For that matter, I know a 6ft 5 transexual who LOVES heels and LOVES men who has hands like steam shovels. She needed three staff members AND a member of the helpful public to tear her away from beating the man who tipped cider over her head into a fine mist. None of them were small either. For that matter, I know a couple of ladies who are quite petite, who rank pretty highly in more than one martial art. I once saw a 5ft 1 Geordie barmaid take down a 6ft 3 football hooligan with a single shot, and I've seen grown men (ex soldiers) brought to tears by the verbal abuse of a very lady-like gay man. So no, there are no set rules about who is tough or hard or whiney or not. Inyusasha thinks in ridiculous stereotypes.

And his estimation of such shows is incorrect. Watch Dexter. (Which is certainly shaped like a cop show.) Cuban immigrant Lieutenant, very white captain, generic mix of races throughout.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm

A Thor-ny problem topic

Purists would have all Santas, jeebuses, angels and toothfairies as caucasian.

If we must have these cartoons (among others), paint them in varying shades to ease the boredom. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 2:41 pm

Meh, I would prefer the ethnicities in works remained as they where made when adapted into a film from a literary work or whatever. Although the Norse gods(excluding Loki) would most likely always be white.