Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 7:19 pm

Callista wrote:
I love mine. I wrote about making it on my blog and have been sleeping under either the blanket or a similarly heavy feather comforter (in cold weather) ever since. It weighs 11 pounds and is very comfortable. The strategy I used can be duplicated by anyone who is experienced with quilting. I used glass beads, which are easier to wash, but the resulting blanket has the drawback of being somewhat lumpy.

Sewing a Weighted Blanket

I suggest you try to figure out whether you like the feel of a weighted blanket before you splurge on one. Do you, for example, like to squeeze yourself into tight places or wrap yourself tightly in a coat or blanket? Do you enjoy the feeling of the lead apron you get to protect you when they are taking X-rays? Do you like to be hugged tightly? In general, if you answer yes to most of those questions, then it's a safe bet that you would enjoy a weighted blanket too.

Neat seeing you in here. I had run a search for instructions on Google about five minutes ago and had bookmarked your link :D

opal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:06 pm

I notice Callista posted a link, but this is basicly what I did.

http://www.articles.complexchild.com/june2009/00130.pdf

I used the poly pellets, which have the advantage that they are washable and don't go mouldy (like beans or popcorn) Or abrade or work their way out of the blanket ()like sand). It ups the price though. I used calico as it is heavy and heavy duty and made a cover like a quilt cover so it was more comfortable and easier to keep clean. But if you made it in one piece it would cut the price again.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm

Hmm... that comment about a coat... fits me perfectly...

I basically wear my coat all the time, unless it's too hot to do so... which is pretty much the entire year except the summer months... and yes, people have called me weird for wearing a coat when it's 75 degrees out.

A weighted blanket is really sounding like something that I really shouldn't be without.

Oh, and that comment about ones which don't provide much extra warmth... sounds perfect! My winter blankets provide plenty of warmth, and the I've had difficulty in the summer months when I was limited to just a sheet because of the heat.