Am I being mixed up in thinking this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:17 pm

I think I am on the Austisim Spectrum and have AS since I do dislpay symptoms of aspergers but I think I might also be a narcassist?

Or is it just a case of all teenagers being a narcassist?

Is being a narcassist a curable problem?

here is just a few of symptoms i display of narcassicm
desire special treatment and attention in situations (but do not expect to receieve it rather i dread on people treating me badly and paying me no attention)
display false modesty in some situations
get annoyed inside when people do not give me attention even in my friendship group and even strangers
obssesed with myself and my appearence (think about myself all the time to the point where i cannot think about anything else)
shallow
vain
get upset when i do not get attention in public
get upset when people do not appreciae me
very prone to magical thinking and have grandoise fantasies
perfectionist

is it possible though ia m just mistaking self centerdness or anxiety disorder for being a narcassist? I could also just flat out be a psycopath. another symptom of narcassicm i do display of narcassicm is that of May this year i shouted and took my anger out on a taxi driver ove the phone........Narcassists usually rage at insignifigant peole.

i am now 21 but when i was younger i did not have these thoughts listed above.

I hope i have not got AS combined with narcassicm :(

Oh yeah there is something i need to mention

5 years ago i used to be obssessed with my height. I am 5ft11. Its like my obssesion keep chaning all the time.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:34 pm

I don't know but incidentally I read recently that Narcissism will no longer be listed when the DSM-V comes out.

http://www.shrink4men.com/2010/12/01/na ... agnostics/

Looks like more rearranging and relabeling.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I think I am on the Austisim Spectrum and have AS since I do dislpay symptoms of aspergers but I think I might also be a narcassist?

Or is it just a case of all teenagers being a narcassist?

Is being a narcassist a curable problem?

here is just a few of symptoms i display of narcassicm
desire special treatment and attention in situations (but do not expect to receieve it rather i dread on people treating me badly and paying me no attention)
display false modesty in some situations
get annoyed inside when people do not give me attention even in my friendship group and even strangers
obssesed with myself and my appearence (think about myself all the time to the point where i cannot think about anything else)
shallow
vain
get upset when i do not get attention in public
get upset when people do not appreciae me
very prone to magical thinking and have grandoise fantasies
perfectionist

is it possible though ia m just mistaking self centerdness or anxiety disorder for being a narcassist? I could also just flat out be a psycopath. another symptom of narcassicm i do display of narcassicm is that of May this year i shouted and took my anger out on a taxi driver ove the phone........Narcassists usually rage at insignifigant peole.

i am now 21 but when i was younger i did not have these thoughts listed above.

I hope i have not got AS combined with narcassicm :(

Oh yeah there is something i need to mention

5 years ago i used to be obssessed with my height. I am 5ft11. Its like my obssesion keep chaning all the time.

This sounds exactly like me when I was 21, right up to being 5 foot 11 and mad about it. I ultimately concluded that I was not a narcissist, just lonely and bored. The more structure I have in my life, the less I act like that. Everyone has narcissism in them, but there is a healthy amount, and an unhealthy amount. Sort of how men have some estrogen, and women have some testosterone.

As it turned out, I was not a sociopath, or an empath, I was just headed down the wrong path.

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2010, 9:26 pm

First, take a deep breath and calm down (easier said than done, but it will help more than anything at the present).

I'd imagine that narcissism becomes a disorder when the person stops seriously considering both internal and external criticism. Even if you show some narcissistic tendencies, you seem capable of identifying the problems and correcting them. It could probably be improved by just being more conscious of these behaviors in the future. Don't feel bad that you think or act in a way you don't approve of; feel good that you have the opportunity to change it! :D

(I hope that this is the right advice. I'm not a psychologist, this is only my naive observation.)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:36 pm

Unfourtantly i think i might have seveare aspergers.

I wish i was 6'3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 12:54 am

Jamesy wrote:
Unfourtantly i think i might have seveare aspergers.

I wish i was 6'3"

join the club. and i can tell you there is nothing especially praiseworthy about being 6'3"