Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 2:33 am

I have come to the conclusion, at least for right now, that there is probably furniture that best fits an aspie lifestyle.

I imagine that aspies probably want desks with a lot of shelves and drawers. They probably want a bed with the mattress atop of the foundation, which features doors on both sides, with possibly a door at the very end in which large stuff can be compacted into.

I imagine they want a large stereo system with a television in the middle, probably, with shelves and / or cabinets above and below it.

I imagine that they might desire a room just for the storage of books and tapes and whatever, filled with walls of cabinets, if not even on all four walls. They may or may not want enough space to walk between each bookcase.

I imagine that their cellars, if they have one, might be cramped with a lot of storage area.

I imagine that their houses may be quite cluttered, with a lot of stuff strewn around.

I imagine that there isn't enough furniture, or enough aspergetically-designed furniture, to handle the oddities that most aspies tend to collect. I imagine some might even desire storage sheds outside, because houses are just not big enough to fit everything.

I bet many aspies are constantly debating as to what they can keep next year and what they have to throw away this year.

- Ray M -

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 10:34 am

I like bean bags and swivel chairs and sofas (couches) long enough to lie flat on and go to sleep.

My house is a mess but if I had a place for everything it wouldn't be. I need a bigger house or a routine for chucking stuff out. I have to have one room dedicated to stuff I've collected. I need more shelves in this room.

My mum's cellar is neatly arranged with her wine collection, and mine and my brothers.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2006, 12:04 pm

i am planning what my living space is going to be like when i am older this is what i have so far.

prefferably it will be a treehouse surrounded by lion who i can cuddle with but at first this is not that important

i want to have two rooms. a soft room, and a hard room

the soft room will also double as a sensory room and the hardroom will have a kichten.

The soft room:

the softroom will have a very thick carpet made form thick soft mats and quilts, there will be a large area of soft blocks made from foam this will have triangle bits down the edge so it sits in the corner, it will also have enought parts that i can build it into a small room on itself, this will also double as my hiding place, i can then configure it exactally how i wish to have it.

also the walls will be coverd in soft felt and ceiling wil be white, there will be one window and it will have a special blingd over it. one wall will be completely white and there will be three u_cubes around the room..

there ill be a projector on the cieling and it will be pointed at the white wall, this will be used to project film wirelessley from the laptop.

In the corner there will also be ana area full of beanie bags of the sort which wrap around you. in total there will be about 10 quilts in the room with a varity of pretty designs on them.

there will also be a big strage area full of all the sorts of things i love. there will be a fold down computer terminal leading to a mac mini and a 19" TFT (tran flectric transitor) screen or two, i will be able to roll a beinie bag over for when i wish to use this.

there in the same corner will be a large collection of varios toys. there will be an area for making lego in and as much technic lego as i can afford.

This place will also have centeral and underfloor heating and air conditioning although the aircondistion will be silent.

the room will have a sound system hooked up to the computer and it will have the soundssytem hooked up to the big screen, the white wall will also have white baord paint on it so i can use it as a white board.

this room will also have sensory room lighting, in the form or firber optics and a snake chain firbreoptic around the top, the room will also have the soft glow cubes and it will also have projectors and touchy feely stuff.

The hard room:

this roommwill have a a sofa, some shelfs and an area for an archive of important stuff, like DVD and computer hardrives that will be linked in a haome made NAS device to the mac mini, it will also have the most powerful mac at the time there for when i am doing work, this sytem is attcahed to the syetm in the soft room.

There will also be asmall kicken area in the corner with a lamanated floor. it will have an all in one mircrowave cooked and over. also the base for the wifi will be in there, and the fridge

i think this is about alli can think of that would be possible right now, but i will have it one day.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2006, 12:50 pm

For me, Aspie furniture is decadent, dreamy, and made-to-measure for each particular person.

Please go on to Google and type in "inflatable room" and have a look at them all. There will be a range of totally new and perfect rooms for you to see - some rooms are portable and you just fold them up and take them away with you.

Tell me what you think!

lae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 10:44 pm

Also, if we have to live with other people, it would probably be best for us to have at least a small area that is our own. I was just thinking lately how much I need a desk and some of the other things Aeturnus was describing. My stuff isn't tidy right now and it drives me nuts. We have a small place and everyone's stuff is just a mishmash everywhere. It doesn't seem to bother them, but I don't even have a place to put anything. The chaos makes me uncomfortable, and I can't put anything down or it gets lost or ruined. I've asked my husband if he wouldn't like things better organized, but he doesn't seem to care. It would be so nice to have an actual Aspie Area with a comfortable place to sit and do paperwork, and lots of cabinets and shelves to put things away in. A soundproof room would be great. For furniture, has anybody tried one of those big round woven chairs? I think it is called a papasan chair. They are really comfortable. I think rolltop desks are nice, too, especially with a lock.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 5:07 pm

For furniture style, I tend to prefer clean, modern looking furniture. My favorite being mid-century stuff, especially of a space-age look. I loathe busy, bright patterns, especially flowery ones and that awful "country style" look that always has to have the obligatory knick-knacks covering every flat surface. I just like interesting shapes and designs, with simple solid colors, and a clean, uncluttered look, and lots of floor space. I don't like wall to wall carpeting, but I do like a nice soft area rug in the middle of the floor that I can sit back on and read a book, mess with the computer, or watch TV on. I'm rather unusual in the fact that when I'm relaxing, I enjoy staying close to the floor. I have radiant floor heat, so the floor is a great place to hang out. One of the things for me is that I MUST HAVE CLEAR WALKING PATHS!! ! I am terrible about running into furnture and other obsticles I must walk around, and must have a straight path from point A to point B. The lighting I have in my rooms is slot and indirect, I use compact fluroescent bulbs that are the equivalent of a 40 watt incancescant for most of my lights.

When it comes to furniture makes, I like the "This End Up" crate furniture because it is tough and durable. I've got a whole living room suite of the stuff. If the furniture gets scuffed, nicked or damaged, it's easy to repair. The wood portions can be easily sanded and re-varnished, giving the stuff a liquid-proof finish. The cushions are easy to take care of too, because the covers will come of and go through the washing machine. I put scotch guard on mine so I don't hafta worry about spilling food on them. You can also get the replacement foams for the cushions, and make your couches and chairs as good as new. TEU furniture also has all sorts of neat drawers and storage units you can get too, great for being a pack rat! Unfortunatley, "This End Up" has gone out of business, but another company has bought out their designs and will be making furniture out of the old designs again. I guess because the stuff was so easy to maintain that it never wore out. There's several companies out there however that make the cushion covers and the foams for this end up and Pine factory furniture.

Another furniture make I like is Ikea. Although the stuff is not built quite as good as the This End Up stuff, it possesses a modern, clean look to it that's very functional. I've got a nifty Ikea lounge chair that sort of curves with the body. Really nice and relaxing and fits me perfect. That's one of my favorite places to sit when I'm using my laptop computer. Ikea also makes a gazillion types of storage units of every size and shape that allow even the messiest place to be organized! I've got 3 huge Ikea book cases for storing my massive collection of books and media.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

28 Jun 2006, 7:01 pm

I love those fuzzy deck-chair-style chairs you can get at Dry Ice or whatever for reading in. The texture and the layout are so comfortable!

My gran has this huge, circular nest-type chair thing (about six feet in diameter, built like a bowl, and swivels on its base) that I have wanted since I first saw it at age six. It's sooo nice to swivel around in--it goes up, down, around in a circle, tilts, the works, and it's wonderful to sleep in since I can curl up against the sides.

I agree with AV-geek that patterns are annoying--I like warm or forest colors.

Given my choice in decorating (I'm fifteen, so not happening yet), I'd go for soft or leather textures and curving, squishy furniture. I also like narrow chairs, since I'm small and I like a sort of squished feeling when I sit down (pressure again).

My room now is full of storage places, and I like it that way. :D I have three huge bookshelves and a small bookcase, and they're almost entirely full of books already--I'm going to need to find a new place soon.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2006, 8:43 pm

i like to personalise my furtinure.. like paint it or put stickers on it

it all started when i was young.. when i went to the dentist and had nice teeth i got a tooth related sticker... i stuck these on my wardrobe doors
i collected quite alot of them but since threw out the wardrobe.. i stuck little tiny stickers on this one and thers some football sticks on the side of it.... i painted DRUMMER on the back of a chest of drawers that faces my bed in black gold and yellow and some of the wood on the bed has paint on it..

i painted drummer girlon the wall too but mum doesnt like it... she can paint it out if she hates it that much lol

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 1:04 am

SolaCatella wrote:
My gran has this huge, circular nest-type chair thing (about six feet in diameter, built like a bowl, and swivels on its base) that I have wanted since I first saw it at age six. It's sooo nice to swivel around in--it goes up, down, around in a circle, tilts, the works, and it's wonderful to sleep in since I can curl up against the sides.

Believe it's called a papasan-not sure. Or is it one of those retro "egg-chairs" ?
I like upholstered chairs with smooth/soft fabric & squishy pillows. Loathe hard (wood, plastic, metal) chairs-they hurt my backbone (and my seat). Wicker drives me crazy-ugh ! It looks, sounds, and feels all wrong to me.
Bed has to be secure, non-moving surface. No waterbeds, no sliding/tilting mattresses. Sleep on a heap of futons-I don't ever fold them into couch position because I can't stand the lumpiness that would result.
drummer_girl wrote:
i like to personalise my furtinure.. like paint it or put stickers on it

I like to apply stickers (some I draw them myself on blank sticky paper), also paint or collage on my belongings. I decorated a couple (landline) telephones pretty impressively, back when phones were large & were either beige, black, or white.

Wolverine-X
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2006, 1:41 am

Aspie furniture is : Zen

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

29 Jun 2006, 12:21 pm

Belfast--Googled it, and you're right. Thanks for giving me a name!

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 12:24 pm

I like Fotons

megans-mom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2006, 11:47 pm

hello, this is to jamie, my daughter is 10 i am curious as to how old you are. you have such big ideas for your house. megans mom

parts
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 7:58 pm

I have a hammock chair swing thing in the living room it's perfect for getting the cacoon affect I love