Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 12:32 am

So for people who have seen Black Swan and I the only one thinks the Nina had Aspergers or maybe something else on the spectrum? I mean yes I know she was ill because of the hallucinations, but other than that she just seemed so aspie to me. I mean she didn't seem to have many social skills, seemed very childish with a childish outlook on life, as well as how she knew so much about Ballet (like in the beginning when she goes off about how she was doing a dance in her dream but said it was actually the choreography to some other dance and etc.) I mean it's hard for me to explain exactly why but I'm almost sure the character had Aspergers. And if she did it would be the best portrayal of Aspergers in any film ever imo.

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2010, 1:05 am

I just figured she was a chick with a very fragile psyche that broke under the pressure of dancing the lead role to Swan Lake. But let me be honest I just went to go watch it because I saw Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman kissing on the trailer.

She didn't seem that Asperger-y to me.

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2010, 1:24 am

i would go more on the paranoria and schizophenia then autism.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 3:02 am

She wasn't aspie. The guy who made the film, Darren Aronofsky, made another movie called Pi about a number theorist who finds a 216 digit section of Pi that can predict the future. Now, the protagonist in that movie was definitely Aspie. It's empasized throughout the movie that the protagonist, Max Cohen, is extremely afraid of social interaction. when people try to talk to him, he immediately tries to leave or only talks in an anxious whisper unless the person is talking about math. He even looks out his door to check that no one is around it before he leave because he's so misanthropic. Wikipedia says he has Social anxiety disorder, but it's never mentioned in the movie what he has.

Here's an example of how he interacts with people.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcN2i9GKsFQ&feature=channel[/youtube]

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2018, 9:34 pm

Just watched the film for the first time and I will say yes. Absolutely. Her interaction with her peers made me so uncomfortable at the beginning of the movie as it was almost just like I used to be. The other girls in her ballet company could tell she was ''awkward'' and alienated her in an adult bullying fashion. It was obvious she had severe social deficits and an obsessional nature.

Asperger's would of course not explain what ''happened'' later in the film, but it did predispose her to it (obsessional nature). I don't believe for a minute she was Schizophrenic like a lot of people who have watched the film assume. She suffered a psychotic episode as a result of the the combination of stress and her obsessive issues resulting in paranoia, anorexia (which likely made things much, much worse) and eventually a full on psychotic break from reality.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

QuelOround wrote:
I just figured she was a chick with a very fragile psyche that broke under the pressure of dancing the lead role to Swan Lake. But let me be honest I just went to go watch it because I saw Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman kissing on the trailer.

She didn't seem that Asperger-y to me.

I concur.
I happen to have REALLY liked the scene where she was humping the bed. :D

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2018, 9:23 am

I highly doubt it. The movie has her hallucinating out of nowhere when the character is in her early twenties - the character likely was suffering the onset of schitzophrenia, or more likely still, a stress induced psychosis.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm

Definitely not