Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2010, 8:57 pm

i like some of the clothes and the shoes that barbie wears when i was a kid

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 11:32 pm

Barbie is what got me obsessed with being skinny, when I was 9. Most of my classmates wanted to grow up to be doctors, lawyers and bakers. I wanted to be skinny, like Barbie. I've just gotten over that, last September.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2010, 2:26 am

When I was a kid, we didn't labor under the impression that Barbie's shape had anything to do with reality! She just had cooler stuff than we did. And she was older so she got better clothes. AND it wasn't a sea of pink. I guess now Barbie just sells Mary Kay...

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2010, 5:40 am

I got obsessed with this question: why doesn't she have any nipples? :lol:

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2010, 6:19 am

Kiran wrote:

Cause she would damage the innocent little minds of children if she had nipples.

Teebst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2010, 10:22 am

She's so pretty! I like pretty things! I never felt the need to be skinny or look like her growing up because then I'd be about a foot tall. She's just pretty. As a kid I'd dress her up, sit her down or stand her up and just look at how pretty she was.....as an adult I leave her in the box so her hair and outfit doesn't get messed up.

I have ZERO fashion sense (I'm a grown up and still get made fun of for wearing the wrong things) so I wonder if the simplicity of the manufacturer's matched outfits and accessories is part of the attraction.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:24 am

i liked to cut her hair off.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:57 am

I hated dolls actually... No seriously, I was like...

"Ummm... what am I supposed to do with them?" Like, seriously, I didn't know how to play with dolls and I had no imagination when it came to that, however, give me a pencil and some paper and my imagination would run wild.

However, those fashion Polly Pockets with those rubber clothes, I like those because I could dress them up whatever way I wanted and the combinations were endless and I would always get more clothes.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2010, 11:31 am

Kiran wrote:

Why didn't Ken have... nevermind... :lol:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 6:23 pm

emlion wrote:

Me too. I thought 'she would look so much better with a flapper bob...oops now she looks like a something out of a survival horror film'. :lol:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 7:12 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
emlion wrote:

Me too. I thought 'she would look so much better with a flapper bob...oops now she looks like a something out of a survival horror film'. :lol:

i used to do the same thing. i also used to colour her hair with food colouring (red, blue) and colour more makeup on her with markers. additionally, we were poor and so my barbie didn't really have any extra clothes besides the ones she came with so i used to sew her some new fashions.

i definitely had hangups of wanting to be skinny and beautiful like her. but Betty and Veronica had a bigger effect on me.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 2:00 am

I never was into barbies. I never had one, I don't think.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 1:41 pm

Rain_Bird wrote:
Kiran wrote:

Why didn't Ken have... nevermind... :lol:

It sounds like a joke, but I seriously wondered this. Didn't everyone? Ken and Barbie both. All dolls, for that matter. I even asked my mother about it when I was around three or four. That was the first "talk" I ever got .. lol. There were more later, but that one really stands out in my memory.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 1:51 pm

My plastic dinosaurs ate my sister's Barbies.

Plastic guts everywhere!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 9:27 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i used to do the same thing. i also used to colour her hair with food colouring (red, blue) and colour more makeup on her with markers. additionally, we were poor and so my barbie didn't really have any extra clothes besides the ones she came with so i used to sew her some new fashions.

i definitely had hangups of wanting to be skinny and beautiful like her. but Betty and Veronica had a bigger effect on me.

I used to make tons of Barbie clothes. (I still have them.) I actually preferred making the clothes than playing with the dolls. But I never thought Barbie was beautiful. She had such a weird shaped body. I had two Skipper dolls, Barbie's little sister, who had no boobs at all, and I much preferred them. Whenever I played with the Barbie, she was the mom. I never thought she was glamorous.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 3:09 am

emlion wrote:

Yes, quite fun. I did this to all of my sister's Barbies. And the Barbie Townhouse had an elevator I was quite fascinated with. However, other than that, Barbie was never of much interest to me.