Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2011, 10:46 pm

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year, living together for ten months. I had known him for two years before we ever got together.
He is the first person I have ever been totally honest with about having Asperger's Syndrome, from the very beginning. He professed early on in our dating that he wanted to make a concerted effort to "understand me". I told him that no one ever has, and that it was hopeless. Over a year later, I wonder if he may actually accomplish his goal.

He deals with me better than anyone ever has, bar none. He loves that I come off bossy and domineering. He adores that I am smarter than him(even though he has a Mensa-qualifying IQ!) and can listen to me rant about my special interests indefinitely. He loves to do small tasks for me that I am perfectly capable of performing myself. He known not to touch me when I'm having a meltdown, and helps me with my clothes when I'm utterly dyspraxic. He never takes my frustration-tantrums personally. He loves it when we repeat, "I like you" back and forth like complete morons. He loves my arrogance, impatience, and that fact that I do not suffer fools.

It helps that he's very intelligent, can discourse on myriad subjects, and is an eccentric, nocturnal hermit. I find him very good looking, and he is the first man I have met that can keep up with me sexually. We both love cats to an extreme degree. He is the first person I have met with as intense a passion for books and "shellfoods" as I do. He and I like to go to the same places. He was willing to watch most of the 12 season of Law and Order SVU I have been working my way through on NetFlix the last two months. He helps me through difficult and overwhelming situations. I help him remember to do chores and pay the bills.

Where I am strict and regimented, he is chaotic. But we both respect the other's methods. Although he is a hermit, he likes to be extroverted and social under circumstances of his own choosing. The same can be said of me. I do not think he is an Aspie, just eccentric.

My few concerns about the relationship include that he tends to be repressive of his feelings, and has a hard time carrying his end of the conversation sometimes. I don't want our relationship to be "The Malisha Show". I also worry that he works a job that pays extremely well (he owns his own home at 27!), but is far below his mental capabilities, and requires unbelievably long hours six days a week. My other concern is that creativity is an important thing to me, and while he has expressed a lot of interest in being a writer, he doesn't have much time for it because of his work. I will become bored with a stagnant partner.

I spent a huge portion of my life (11 years) with an abusive ex-husband. I dated for a while after I left him, and none of them were that great, although one or two were extremely exciting. There's difference between someone who has short-term appeal, and someone you can LIVE with. I am starting to think he's really the one, but I'm a little gun-shy because of past experiences.

I kinda want to marry him i think.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 10:49 pm

I dunno if he's the one, but you're really lucky to have found him. :)

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm

Malisha wrote:
My boyfriend and I have been together for a year, living together for ten months. I had known him for two years before we ever got together.
He is the first person I have ever been totally honest with about having Asperger's Syndrome, from the very beginning. He professed early on in our dating that he wanted to make a concerted effort to "understand me". I told him that no one ever has, and that it was hopeless. Over a year later, I wonder if he may actually accomplish his goal.

He deals with me better than anyone ever has, bar none. He loves that I come off bossy and domineering. He adores that I am smarter than him(even though he has a Mensa-qualifying IQ!) and can listen to me rant about my special interests indefinitely. He loves to do small tasks for me that I am perfectly capable of performing myself. He known not to touch me when I'm having a meltdown, and helps me with my clothes when I'm utterly dyspraxic. He never takes my frustration-tantrums personally. He loves it when we repeat, "I like you" back and forth like complete morons. He loves my arrogance, impatience, and that fact that I do not suffer fools.

It helps that he's very intelligent, can discourse on myriad subjects, and is an eccentric, nocturnal hermit. I find him very good looking, and he is the first man I have met that can keep up with me sexually. We both love cats to an extreme degree. He is the first person I have met with as intense a passion for books and "shellfoods" as I do. He and I like to go to the same places. He was willing to watch most of the 12 season of Law and Order SVU I have been working my way through on NetFlix the last two months. He helps me through difficult and overwhelming situations. I help him remember to do chores and pay the bills.

Where I am strict and regimented, he is chaotic. But we both respect the other's methods. Although he is a hermit, he likes to be extroverted and social under circumstances of his own choosing. The same can be said of me. I do not think he is an Aspie, just eccentric.

My few concerns about the relationship include that he tends to be repressive of his feelings, and has a hard time carrying his end of the conversation sometimes. I don't want our relationship to be "The Malisha Show". I also worry that he works a job that pays extremely well (he owns his own home at 27!), but is far below his mental capabilities, and requires unbelievably long hours six days a week. My other concern is that creativity is an important thing to me, and while he has expressed a lot of interest in being a writer, he doesn't have much time for it because of his work. I will become bored with a stagnant partner.

I spent a huge portion of my life (11 years) with an abusive ex-husband. I dated for a while after I left him, and none of them were that great, although one or two were extremely exciting. There's difference between someone who has short-term appeal, and someone you can LIVE with. I am starting to think he's really the one, but I'm a little gun-shy because of past experiences.

I kinda want to marry him i think.

I hope you have found The One!! !!

Best of luck!! !!

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm

Were hoping for you. Possible future congrats High Five?

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm

I'm young and probably not as experienced in relationships as you, but it sounds like a promising one to me :wink: The only think you expressed concern about is his job, but from what I read it seems that he is satisfied with it. And if he's only 27, the likelihood of him staying at the same job forever is low. It sounds like he understands you, likes you a lot, and you get on well, which are the important things. I would only be seriously concerned about repressing his feelings if he's bottling his feelings up and lashing out at you, etc.

Just take your time with him, and marry him when and if it feels right.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm

I wouldn't expect him to entertain you; you'll get bored just because you live every day together and run out of new things to talk about. If you're feeling bored schedule some 'YOU' time together and do something new. That works even if he has a busy job/etc. Support is a two way street. The fact that he supports and tolerates your special interests and lets you be you is pretty important. I've been married for 10 years (together for 17) and STILL battle with our differences due to Aspergers at times.

It sounds like you're well suited for each other to me. You should know though that there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Every relationship has it's ups and downs; it just comes from living together and knowing everything about someone I think.
Good luck - follow your heart!
JD

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 5:58 am

Sometimes it takes a while to find out if they're the one, it isn't something you can know instantly.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2011, 11:50 am

astaut wrote:
I would only be seriously concerned about repressing his feelings if he's bottling his feelings up and lashing out at you, etc.

He never does that. He's always really calm. People hand him their babies so they'll stop crying.
I think maybe I'm just used to guys who are crazy and narcissistic, so they're always talking about themselves. :P
Thanks, all.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:02 pm

Aw he sounds perfect.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:07 pm

We all have our flaws, there's no such thing as "the one". However, he does seem right for you. So if you do end up marrying him, I think you'll be fine.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:47 pm

Jono wrote:
there's no such thing as "the one".

I disagree completely. 'the one' means the one you want to spend your life with. the perfect one for you.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:54 pm

emlion wrote:
Jono wrote:

I disagree completely. 'the one' means the one you want to spend your life with. the perfect one for you.

Have you ever had a conversation with an elderly couple who have married for 50 years? That kind of commitment takes a lot work. There is no one specific person for each individual.

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2011, 1:56 pm

emlion wrote:
Jono wrote:

I tend to agree with Juno. The idea of "the one" is created by Hollywood and Disney. The idea that God or the universe created one perfect someone for you is just too far fetched. Not relationship or person is ever perfect and expecting perfection is setting yourself up for disaster. Many people end up in divorce court with someone they once called the one.

Anyway.

@ Malisha

Despite how I feel about the term "the one", he sounds like a keeper. I hope for you both the best.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:02 pm

i do have a rather romantic view on love.
if a person isn't what i think is 'the one' at the time - i don't see the point in being with them.
but i know a lot of people think the one is non existant.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:05 pm

I don't buy the whole "the one" idea as in there being one person in the whole world that you should be with. But I think emilion was saying the one person you CHOOSE to be with. As in if she'd been born in Kuala Lumpa she'd probably be with someone other than her current boyfriend and possibly see him as "the one" instead, but in her life as it is, she has found this particular guy and wants to be with him only / sees him as her "one".

obviously I may be wrong about what emilion meant, but that is how I see it myself anyway - I would like to meet a woman I would want to spend th rest of my life with if possible

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:06 pm

Volodja wrote:
I don't buy the whole "the one" idea as in there being one person in the whole world that you should be with. But I think emilion was saying the one person you CHOOSE to be with. As in if she'd been born in Kuala Lumpa she'd probably be with someone other than her current boyfriend and possibly see him as "the one" instead, but in her life as it is, she has found this particular guy and wants to be with him only / sees him as her "one".

obviously I may be wrong about what emilion meant, but that is how I see it myself anyway - I would like to meet a woman I would want to spend th rest of my life with if possible

yes! i didn't mean you're fated to be with one particular person.
a person becomes the one when you fall in love with them deeply.