Friendship class or Social Skills class - do they help?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2011, 8:06 am

This is all so interesting. My son's therapist says a huge percentage of kids in those classes can't generalize what they learned outside the group so she didn't recommend it for my son. Instead, I bought Thinking of You Thinking of Me, by Michelle Garcia Winner and the corresponding curriculum to do at home. I'll try to remember to report how it goes. My son is 9 1/2 and does quite well socially except in large groups. At home, though, he has a ton of Theory of Mind problems. This curriculum should help with that and with future social problems.

danielleg
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2011, 10:31 pm

I have my son (age 8) enrolled in a social skills groups and he absolutely loves it. Even though he doesn't always 'get' the lessons they are teaching he enjoys the social outlet so much. It has helped with his self-esteem so much to see he is not alone with his issues. The program teaches social skills using improv and acting games (think Whose Line is it Anyway).

His progress I believe has been greatly helped due to the dynamic of the group he is in. The program tries very hard to form groups that they think will be the most beneficial for all. My son has actually made a close friend because of this, a fellow AS boy who shares his love of video games and teenage mutant ninja turtles.