I'm proud to be autistic, you should be too

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

robh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Proud because of it? Nah, and for the same reasons I'm not proud of being right-handed. I just am.
Proud of what I've managed to achieve despite it? Of course.

This is more what I am referring to, bad choice of wording on my part. I guess "happy" would be better, but anyway, I'm not ashamed of it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

robh wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Proud because of it? Nah, and for the same reasons I'm not proud of being right-handed. I just am.
Proud of what I've managed to achieve despite it? Of course.

This is more what I am referring to, bad choice of wording on my part. I guess "happy" would be better, but anyway, I'm not ashamed of it.

Absolutely. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 9:17 pm

Well being proud of being autistic would be like being proud of been born as Trust Fund Timmy, why should you be proud of something that you have not earned?

Having said that I was very very ashamed of myself growing up (undiagnosed) I really believed it when people said I'd turn out to be a sociopath or end up in jail; it seems I was no alone:

www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6464486.html

The jokes on them HA HA :) I wouldn't hurt a fly , or a pig or a cow (I'm vegan) At the risk of sounding controversial or holier than though it does surprise me their ae so many aspies who "love" animals yet who still eat still eat dead animals and their secretions .

Speciesism especially comeing from an aspie perceptive is something I will never understand . Not that I ever judge , having said that "controversial" Peta may have been on to something with their "Holocaust on Your plate" campaign, offensive to Jews hardly one of the creators of that campaign had parents who where holocaust survivors. Anyway better stop now

end of rant. :oops:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm

Everything PETA does is offensive.

I eat meat because when I try to eat just vegetables and vegetarian foods, I just get hungry and crave meat. I also have a hard time with the texture of a lot of vegetables, depending on how they're cooked. I'm not inclined to feel guilty for this, although I am no fan of factory farming.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jan 2011, 9:20 am

Verdandi wrote:

:lol: +1

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2011, 11:58 am

Cornflake wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Disagree. What PETA stand for is fine, in my opinion - it's only their simplistic doctrinaire arguments and their penchant for sloganeering that undermindes any credibility they might have that's why - as another veggie - I donate to Animal Aid rather than them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jan 2011, 12:30 pm

Locustman wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Disagree. What PETA stand for is fine, in my opinion - it's only their simplistic doctrinaire arguments and their penchant for sloganeering that undermindes any credibility they might have that's why - as another veggie - I donate to Animal Aid rather than them.

I certainly said nothing about what PETA stands for, only what PETA does, and what PETA does is offensive. I am opposed to cruelty against animals, but PETA does not strike me as doing anything about that, being instead more about garish spectacle or exploiting human suffering to make points about animals.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 12:36 pm

PETA is cruel to animals. They've done a lot worse than tasteless advertising.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jan 2011, 12:38 pm

Locustman wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Fundamentally they have a reasonable stance like any organization looking out for the welfare of others - but they're way too close to looking like an extreme right-wing nut-job outfit for my tastes. (not saying they actually are any of these things; that's just what their actions and style remind me rather too much of).

And as regards eating meat (Ok, other dead animals if you like) - if it's Ok for other animals to eat other animals, I don't see the logic in why people eating meat is just so terrible.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2011, 12:59 pm

I'm certainly not proud to be autistic, but I'll tell anyone that I have it. I don't see how you can be proud of something you have no control of.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:00 pm

anbuend wrote:
PETA is cruel to animals. They've done a lot worse than tasteless advertising.

Thank you. I tend to get fixated on specific points and forget to mention things outside that context like picking up animals for adoption and then euthanizing them.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 9:40 pm

^^^^^^^

Have you ever asked yourself why they euthanize these animals, don't believe everything the Internet journalists tell you (which is what the Peta detractors seem to do.)

Having said that I'm not their greatest fans ethier , even so they have their place in the grand scheme of things I suppose just like the welfarists at the RSPCA.

Google is your friend "Peta victories"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 10:12 pm

I did try to find this out, but the only information I could find was in direct contradiction to every other available source on the matter.

A bit more than "internet journalists" have talked about this:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/27/peta ... nasia.html
http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-06-23/o ... ad-animals
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/09/petas ... cs-fuming/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8255324/ns/ ... et_health/

PETA victories seem to be about their sensationalist campaigns against fast food restaurants. Really, those campaigns seem fairly pointless to me and not an effective use of resources at all, and they seem to be more about spectacle than effectiveness.

Last edited by Verdandi on 12 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm

I don't see the point in being proud of something you can't help.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:42 am

Scanner wrote:
I don't see the point in being proud of something you can't help.

This, same for gay pride and black pride etc.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2011, 9:49 am

Verdandi wrote:
I did try to find this out, but the only information I could find was in direct contradiction to every other available source on the matter.

A bit more than "internet journalists" have talked about this:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/27/peta ... nasia.html
http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-06-23/o ... ad-animals
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/09/petas ... cs-fuming/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8255324/ns/ ... et_health/

PETA victories seem to be about their sensationalist campaigns against fast food restaurants. Really, those campaigns seem fairly pointless to me and not an effective use of resources at all, and they seem to be more about spectacle than effectiveness.

I was aware that PETA euthanizes animals, but these articles would admittedly appear to suggest that it takes place on a much larger scale than I previously thought. One thing I will say, though, is that I think euthanising an animal is the lesser of two evils compared to allowing it to suffer in a "research facility" (as that third article somewhat euphemistically describes a vivisection lab).