Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brainiac5
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 9:21 pm

I've been feeling down. I was chatting with my mom about my fears of always being alone, and I showed her some posts from WP from other Aspies who have the same problems I do. She said that WP looks like a place that's extremely negative, and that I shouldn't read posts on here because they'll just make me feel bad, and suggested that I find another site.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:24 pm

I think it really depends on each person whether they're particularly "negative" or not. However, I don't think that simply acknowledging problems is "negative".

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:30 pm

Yeah, sometimes I get depressed reading people complain about how terrible their lives are. It makes me think "is this all I have to look forward to". OTOH, some posts are positive and I don't think having AS automatically means you will be alone forever. Some aspies on here are married, for instance. I have found that the people, who I've managed to make friends with, are all a bit odd, so maybe you need to seek out some weird people, as you may have more in common with them than NTs.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:51 pm

wblastyn wrote:
Yeah, sometimes I get depressed reading people complain about how terrible their lives are. It makes me think "is this all I have to look forward to". OTOH, some posts are positive and I don't think having AS automatically means you will be alone forever. Some aspies on here are married, for instance. I have found that the people, who I've managed to make friends with, are all a bit odd, so maybe you need to seek out some weird people, as you may have more in common with them than NTs.

Sounds like a plan. Where should i find my weird people? Clown College?

against_the_clock
Raven
Raven

Location: Louisville Kentucky (if you think I don't wear shoes I'll throw them at you)

09 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm

I don't think reading negative things is necessarily bad. I think it is better to face problems and accept possible situations rather than keeping them in you subconscious. Sounds like your mom is worrying too much.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:08 pm

One quick glance doesn't fully reflect the entire site.

Yes there are some people here who are on the negative sides and there are also people on the more positive sides.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm

Sounds like your mother is the one who is negative.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm

I just read the posts that I like and ignore the ones that I don't like.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm

I think it would be really demoralizing if people only posted about things they are happy about. Feeling both sad and happy are shared experiences, and it's uplifting and comforting to read about someone who is going through some of what you are going through, whether good or bad.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

bee33 wrote:
I think it would be really demoralizing if people only posted about things they are happy about. Feeling both sad and happy are shared experiences, and it's uplifting and comforting to read about someone who is going through some of what you are going through, whether good or bad.

A laugh and a tear, the story of life 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

Even I don't post happy things all the time.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Even I don't post happy things all the time.

+1

And I guess I make a sport of being positive, like I said: A Laugh and a Tear.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm

That people post about their problems here is a huge emotional lift for me. Not because I take pleasure in others' misfortune, but because I know I am not alone. I don't see it as negativity, and I believe people need space to complain or even explain the facts of their lives.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm

jamieboy wrote:
wblastyn wrote:

Sounds like a plan. Where should i find my weird people? Clown College?

No need to get hostile.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm

Yeah, there's some negativity floating around at times. Usually more at certain times than others. But it's exactly what you said in the title....an impression. If you think WP puts you in a bad mood or whatever, then I would limit your time here. Personally, sometimes I think there's a lot of negativity here but it doesn't carry into my life outside the computer, so I don't worry about it. It depends on you and how you're affected by things.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm

Yeah exactly. And in my case, there's several reasons I describe the difficulties I have, or have had in the past. One of the bigger ones is that... basically most of the world doesn't seem to think it's possible to be a happy person and leading the life I'm leading, and I like to prove that wrong. If I simply say I'm happy without describing those difficulties, people assume that I don't have them. So, I kind of have to.

Other than that, some of it's to explain things about my life. Some of it's so that people won't feel like they're alone if they have similar issues. Some of it's so that people who don't know how to describe something they experience, will be able to after I describe it. (That last one is another very big one for me. So many people helped me with that without even knowing it that I feel like I need to give that back to the world somehow.) Some of it's so that people know that people like me exist, and what we're like. Very little of it is to whine or anything.