Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 3:16 pm

I've been out of the loop for a good while when it comes to the latest and greatest on computers. I built a K6 500 several years ago that has an ATI all-in-wonder PCi video card, 128MB of RAM, and an adaptec 2940 UW card. The Hard drive controller was originally connected up to a 9GB Micropolis drive, but now it's running a 73 GB Seagate barricuda (10,000 RPM) drive. For removeable storage, it's got a 24X CD reader, and an 8X CDRW in it. As you can tell by now, this thing's got some age on it!

I'm not a gamer, but occasionally, I do like to have a little fun. I primarily will be using the computer as a multimedia editing tool, handling video, pictures, sound, music, etc. I'll also be using it for the traditional internetting, word processing, etc. I would like to remain under $1000, or even better, under $800 for the whole getup.

Now, I'm looking at replacing it comptletely, but want to stick with some of the hardware I've found useful. For video, I want to use the latest ATI all in wonder card so I can edit video from analogue sources., but want some opinions on which bus is the best video card bus to use for it. I've seen there's PCI express, and AGP in various multiplier factors. If money becomes an issue in this upgrade, I may want to forgo upgrading the video card immeditely, and just use my old PCI one in order to get a faster processor. If I do this, will the latest motherboards even recognize the old relic? (I may just use an onboard video motherboard too)

I've got two more of the 73 GB 10,000 RPM scsi drives I've pulled out of old video editing machines that were upgraded, and I want to put them into use on this new computer. Can I just drop my old 2940UW card into a PCI slot and have a new motherboard boot to it? If so, how much of a speed detriment will I get over using a serial ATA, and can I get a SCSI controller later that will fully utilize the true speed of these hard drives?

Okay, onto motherboards and processors now. Looks like the FSB speeds are up to 800Mhz now for even a basic model of P4 or Althlon chip. I'm not looking for raw CPU speed as much as I'm looking for a higher FSB speed. I imagine I should stay away from Celerons, becasue they appear to be the low-end and will be obsolete quickly. I'm looking to get the same amount of time into this computer that I've gotten out of the last one!

Looks like DDR memory is the fastest thing going right now too. Are these RAM chips installed in pairs like the old EDO memory chips? How much is typical. I am seeing 512 mb in most of the mainstream PC builders machines.

Cases: how much juice will I need to run a new computer. Currently, I am running a 300 watt power supply in my computer with plenty to spare. Would the same amount be enough for a new machine, even with all those hard drives?

HaveThreeComputers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2006, 2:26 pm

AV-geek wrote:
I've been out of the loop for a good while when it comes to the latest and greatest on computers. I built a K6 500 several years ago that has an ATI all-in-wonder PCi video card, 128MB of RAM, and an adaptec 2940 UW card. The Hard drive controller was originally connected up to a 9GB Micropolis drive, but now it's running a 73 GB Seagate barricuda (10,000 RPM) drive. For removeable storage, it's got a 24X CD reader, and an 8X CDRW in it. As you can tell by now, this thing's got some age on it!

Do you have access to a Fry's where you live? If not you should go online. I like tigerdirect.com, newegg.com. Only buy from CompUSA if you can get one of their loss leader deals on something. Do not ever go into a Best Buy. OfficeMax and Office Depot are not too bad, but just watch their prices.

Your SCSI drives are real nice, I'd keep them if you can. Your adaptec 2940UW will work fine in a new motherboard, it'll just take up a PCI slot. So make sure you have 2 PCI slots so you can run your ATI video card too.

If I were you I'd get a smallish, cheapish IDE drive just to install software on as the C: drive. Then you can use your SCSI drives for video files. You might also think about getting a large IDE drive (like 200GB or so) to store completed video/audio projects, instead of the small drive. Hard drives are incredibly cheap now. Or you can go with SATA drives if you wish and can find them at the same price.

You'll want a new DVD burner. The 16x dual layer ones are selling for $50 or less now if you look around.

Invest in a decent, big case with lots of cooling and a good 450W-plus power supply. Make sure it supports the 2.0 standard for power (I forget the acronym). This has the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Quote:
I'm not a gamer, but occasionally, I do like to have a little fun. I primarily will be using the computer as a multimedia editing tool, handling video, pictures, sound, music, etc. I'll also be using it for the traditional internetting, word processing, etc. I would like to remain under $1000, or even better, under $800 for the whole getup.

I think this should be quite doable if you shop around.

Quote:
Now, I'm looking at replacing it comptletely, but want to stick with some of the hardware I've found useful. For video, I want to use the latest ATI all in wonder card so I can edit video from analogue sources., but want some opinions on which bus is the best video card bus to use for it. I've seen there's PCI express, and AGP in various multiplier factors. If money becomes an issue in this upgrade, I may want to forgo upgrading the video card immeditely, and just use my old PCI one in order to get a faster processor. If I do this, will the latest motherboards even recognize the old relic? (I may just use an onboard video motherboard too)

This should not be a problem. I would not recommend onboard video, mainly because very few-size MBs have it and you'll be limiting your options. Usually only micro ATX boards have on-board video.

Quote:
I've got two more of the 73 GB 10,000 RPM scsi drives I've pulled out of old video editing machines that were upgraded, and I want to put them into use on this new computer. Can I just drop my old 2940UW card into a PCI slot and have a new motherboard boot to it? If so, how much of a speed detriment will I get over using a serial ATA, and can I get a SCSI controller later that will fully utilize the true speed of these hard drives?

Just check out the specs on the card, I don't know exactly. Like I said above, I'd actually recommend installing an IDE or SATA drive in the box just to install software onto, it'll make things easier all round.

Quote:
Okay, onto motherboards and processors now. Looks like the FSB speeds are up to 800Mhz now for even a basic model of P4 or Althlon chip. I'm not looking for raw CPU speed as much as I'm looking for a higher FSB speed. I imagine I should stay away from Celerons, becasue they appear to be the low-end and will be obsolete quickly. I'm looking to get the same amount of time into this computer that I've gotten out of the last one!

Both Intel and AMD are pretty much neck and neck now. If you have access to a Fry's look for their combo MB/processor deals, they are very good. I like the new Intel dual core CPUs, they are nice for video because you can run stuff in the background on the other CPU. Plus they are a bit cooler than the high-GHz single processor models.

Quote:
Looks like DDR memory is the fastest thing going right now too. Are these RAM chips installed in pairs like the old EDO memory chips? How much is typical. I am seeing 512 mb in most of the mainstream PC builders machines.

Actually DDR-2 is the latest, DDR is a bit passe. No they do not need to be installed in pairs. I'd recommend at least 1GB, you can get this now for like $140 or so. if you look around.

Quote:
Cases: how much juice will I need to run a new computer. Currently, I am running a 300 watt power supply in my computer with plenty to spare. Would the same amount be enough for a new machine, even with all those hard drives?

See above, at least 450W I think with all those fast SCSI drives.