Which has been the best decade for music?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Whatever decade you went through puberty and adolesence in is the best decade.
Its like a law of physics- whatever was current when you were a teen thats the kind of music you like best. It doesnt even have much to do with whether that period of your life was happy or not- even if you have no nostalgia for your teen years your musical taste is still set in concrete as whatever was popular in your teens.

I disagree. i turned 13 in 2000 and 18 in 2005, but to me most of the music after early 2002 really sucked. I think some of the best secular music came out between 1992-2002 with a focus on the 1994-1998 era. Nowadays i listen almost exclusively to Christian music. I wasnt into that while is was in puberty.

I recall Usher was big during the first half of the 00's, but i cannot stand him...

bardesanes
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2011, 12:05 pm

Right now, I'm stuck on German rock from the 70's. I love Komische Musik.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 12:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its like a law of physics- whatever was current when you were a teen thats the kind of music you like best. It doesnt even have much to do with whether that period of your life was happy or not- even if you have no nostalgia for your teen years your musical taste is still set in concrete as whatever was popular in your teens.

Ha! Absolutely not, is the case for me. I despise the music in my teenage years (so right now) with a passion, mostly of all R&B. There is absolutely no way that these godawful dire monstrosities churned out from the darkest places in Hell shall ever be my best :twisted:. The 60's to the 80's has all I need forever :D

Bit of a rant there :lol: but I stick by this 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 9:08 pm

I like the 60s, 70s and 80s. 1984 Is my cut off. It's pretty obvious why that would be.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:47 am

90's and 00's, for sure. No other decades even come close. Sure there's overplayed, generic, mainstream crap, but if you listen to something other than the radio, there's a lot of good, even awesome, stuff out there. I'm particularly fond of 90's techo and industrial, and 00's rock and metal.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2011, 3:04 am

I think I answered a similar question and they're mixed up in my head :?:

I'm gonna categorize decades and genres :

Soul - 70's
80s - contemporary R&B sounds being put into rock/pop songs was pretty cool, at least I think.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:32 am

As far as top 40 music goes I'd say it's a toss up between the 60s and the early 90s. With a few exceptions, the first half of the 90s was the last of the really iconic mainstream music. There's a lot of good stuff in the 00s but it's all obscure stuff that you wouldn't ever hear on the radio. These days I just look for new music I like and don't care if nobody else has even heard of it.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Bulls**t! I went to high school during the late '90s and I consider that the worst time for music.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 9:11 pm

The 90s, though most of that is nostalgia.