Did Moses sin when he broke the 10 commandments into pieces?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:01 pm

When Moses was at the top of Mt. Sinai, God, his friend gave him sacred pieces of stone called the 10 Commandments. So what does Moses do? Moses walks down the mountain, sees his people worshipping a gold calf and loses it. Moses takes God's gift and smashes the 10 Commandments into many pieces. Was this a sacrilege? Did Moses have to repent for having been disrespectful of the sacred 10 Commandments of God? Did God require Moses to attend a weekend conflict resolution class/anger management class before giving Moses a second set of the 10 Commandments? What does the Bible say?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:10 pm

pgd wrote:
When Moses was at the top of Mt. Sinai, God, his friend gave him sacred pieces of stone called the 10 Commandments. So what does Moses do? Moses walks down the mountain, sees his people worshipping a gold calf and loses it. Moses takes God's gift and smashes the 10 Commandments into many pieces. Was this a sacrilege? Did Moses have to repent for having been disrespectful of the sacred 10 Commandments of God? Did God require Moses to attend a weekend conflict resolution class/anger management class before giving Moses a second set of the 10 Commandments? What does the Bible say?

Grab and smash topic

He should have cleaned up the Mess. :roll: God is an Enabler. :twisted:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:38 pm

Sounds plausible enough :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:40 pm

You know what, I don't think it said anything about it.

I think there was something in Exodus that said that God banned the Israelites from entering Canaan during Moses's lifetime, as punishment for Moses letting his people go astray. That could have been another incident, though.

But put yourself in Moses's shoes for a moment. You've just spent about three months or so on top of a mountain fasting while carving God's instructions into hard rock. You walk back down the mountain, expecting things to be as you left it, and you walk in on your people worshipping a golden cow statue, doing the exact thing that God JUST told you not to do. If I were him I'd be having rage issues too.

In the end I think God forgave him, probably because He was more concerned with the Israelite's idol worshipping problem than with Moses's anger management. In the end, after Moses chewed everyone out, he went back up the mountain and did the job again. It's a testament to the forgiving nature of God, I guess.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:18 pm

pgd wrote:

Do you know the difference between a page and what is written on the page. Moses broke the tablets.

ruveyn

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:27 pm

LOL, God's ego was so hurt by His own prized possession worshiping something else other than Him that He didn't give a damn about the stupid tablets being broken by Moses. He was more concerned about the fools dancing around a calf. Yeah, He got so jealous of that cow.

By the way, if you want a good laugh, read further in the Bible to see how God got so pissed off that He wanted to end the nation of Israel on the spot and make Moses the new father of the new nation of Israelites. The poor soul was so hurt that Moses had to pamper Him to try to calm Him down and make Him change His mind. And even then, God still killed a bunch of them afterwards.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 8:56 pm

pgd wrote:

I believe the Bible says that before Moses went up Mt. Sinai to receive the Ten Commandments, the Israelites had said several times that they would do everything the Lord had told them to do. And so I think that when Moses brought down the two tablets of the Testimony from Mt. Sinai and saw the Israelites worshipping the golden calf, his breaking the tablets was a sign of the Israelites' breaking their covenant with God.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm

If you throw the stone commandments very hard smacking a sinner in the head and kill them in the process, it isn't considered a sin. In fact, if you kill 2 sinners, you get bonus points when trying to enter the kingdom of Heaven.