Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jeddy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

i know smokings bad but do any of you do it or have thought of it?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 4:56 pm

No.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 5:13 pm

I don't smoke and never will. Personally, since I've never smoked and been around smokers like my mother and grandmother, I've come to find it pretty gross. The smell of cigarette smoke stains the air and possessions around the smoker... that stain smells like urine :x.

Every time I see my mother, I feel so dirty when I get back home. I have to wash myself to get the pee smell out of my hair. It's really gross. Maybe I have a heightened sense of smell, but no matter that, I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke :|.

Aside from the smell, I have weak lungs, and it would be very bad for me to start smoking. Not to mention, I don't believe anybody wants lung cancer :?. Lung pain is true agony, and I wouldn't wish it even on my enemies.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

My grandmother died due to complications from smoking. My dad has been smoking for decades. I don't ever plan on smoking. The health risks alone are what deter me from doing so.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 5:50 pm

I used to smoke. I resisted up until I was about 15. Stupid peer pressure. I think I quit during my twenties. I think it's hellish expensive, and does nowt for me.

Hellga
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2011, 8:30 pm

I smoke :oops:

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 8:33 pm

I smoke lightly and this thread has made me want to go out to my car and have one... but i'm three floors up and can't be bothered

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 9:05 pm

No. I find it gross.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 9:12 pm

Nah, not my thing but I can see why people do it. Once I went on a trip with a bunch of relatives who were all chain smokers and nearly died of liquid building up in my lungs (asthma complications), so I steer clear but I see no reason for others not to enjoy themselves if they want. And though I find it disgusting I don't ever encourage people to quit. Life is so fast.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm

happymusic wrote:
Nah, not my thing but I can see why people do it. Once I went on a trip with a bunch of relatives who were all chain smokers and nearly died of liquid building up in my lungs (asthma complications), so I steer clear but I see no reason for others not to enjoy themselves if they want. And though I find it disgusting I don't ever encourage people to quit. Life is so fast.

I agree. I have never thought that smoking is "bad," as this suggests that it is somehow morally wrong, which is just silly to me. Though a lot of people do treat smokers this way. As long as one is polite about when/where they smoke, I think people should be free to do as they wish. Yes, it is unhealthy, but that is the individual's decision. As you say, life is fast. I am not one to begrudge people life's small pleasures. And I never minded the smell of smoke, but I don't care for the smell of things which have been saturated in it.

I smoked from the ages of 17-22. I suppose it was inevitable, as almost everyone I knew was (and still is) a smoker. I wasn't peer pressured (in fact, at that age, I believed "peer pressure" was a myth made up by people who didn't want to take responsibility for their actions)--I simply wanted to try it. I had always intended to quit after a few years for health reasons, so I did, though I occasionally miss it. I enjoyed smoking. People don't do it for no reason. I neither encourage nor discourage people to smoke. It also dulled my sense of smell slightly, which for me was a blessing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 11:45 pm

I've never smoked in my life.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 2:35 am

Deleted :|

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2011, 3:41 am

Never have and never want to. Smoking disgusts me and I cant understand knowing all the abominable side effects why so many people find it appealing.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 4:41 am

I despise smoking, but not smokers. One cannot dislike smokers merely because they are addicted to something. I am addicted to Lemon Cake, and I doubt anybody dislikes me due to this.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 5:29 am

Nereid wrote:
Smoking disgusts me

I disgust smoking.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 6:46 am

Nereid wrote:
Smoking disgusts me and I cant understand knowing all the abominable side effects why so many people find it appealing.

Because it's pleasurable. People have unprotected sex knowing that there is a risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancy. People eat french fries and doughnuts knowing that these things are bad for their heart and weight. Most people are willing to do things which are bad for them if there is a pleasurable reward associated with it, especially if the negative consequences are far enough away that they seem irrelevant to the person's present self.

Suddenly I realize how boring I would seem to most people now; I barely do anything unhealthy. Almost everything I eat or drink is healthy, I don't smoke, don't do drugs (unless we're counting alcohol, and even then, I'm a red wine kind of girl), certainly don't have unprotected sex. I wonder at what point I became so wholesome.