Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2011, 7:41 am

I do, but only in the winter.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:42 am

I love hats. I don't wear them nearly enough. They make me feel (more) goofy than usual, since they tend to look a little strange on me. But I love them all the same. Give me a nice hat, though, and I'll be a lot more confident. I'll still act as strangely as before, but at least I won't be as self-conscious about it. 8)

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:42 am

I tend to normally only wear a hat in very cold or very wet weather. Also when I am doing DIY repair work I wear a builder's hard hat much of the time. I have found that if I bump my head on a pipe, tree branch or other thing while wearing a hard hat it is much less horrible an experience than if I bump my head on the same object. I suspect that the hard hat mitigates the sensory issues of bumping your head on a pipe.

The hard hat came close to saving my life once, I was working on a project when suddenly a lump of wood fell out of the sky and hit me in the shoulder. I was wearing the hard hat, I was aware that if it had landed a few inchs away it could have got me in the head. So hard hats are good.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:50 am

I only wear hats when it's very, very cold. I hate anything touching my hair and hats make me feel distracted, uncomfortable and too warm. I usually have longish hair and I always have a small umbrella in my bag so I don't really need a hat. I do like scarves though, nice and snug around my neck.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

I wear a grey woolly ushanka with a cream coloured furry inner trim in the winter, and in the summer I wear a mesh baseball cap (trucker hat), which is dark blue with a plain white front panel. I also have a few other hats but i dont tend to wear those ones so much unless there is any particular reason to. (They're like 'backup hats'.)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jan 2011, 11:19 am

I hate things touching my head so I'm completely hatless. Or maybe completely hatstand, take your pick.
Unless it's a hood made as part of a jacket and then, when it's cold, I practically live in it.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2011, 12:54 pm

I wear a woollen hat in cold weather.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 5:25 am

Cornflake wrote:
I hate things touching my head so I'm completely hatless. Or maybe completely hatstand, take your pick.
Unless it's a hood made as part of a jacket and then, when it's cold, I practically live in it.

What do you mean by "completely hatstand"?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 7:03 am

I wear hats, wigs, and/or scarves generally. Among other things it means I don't have to comb or wash my hair much. (Both of which can be a serious ordeal.) I learned a long time ago that if you look too "unkempt" around professionals they can get the wrong idea. Also hats and scarves both limit my visual overload.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 Jan 2011, 9:13 am

rabbitears wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

What do you mean by "completely hatstand"?
Doolally; bonkers; crazy.
It just fell out as I was typing, honest, and since it paired nicely with the preceding "completely hatless" I left it in. :lol:

Pinchy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2011, 9:55 am

I didn't grow up wearing a hat when I am out and about but began wearing one on hot sunny days about two years ago to stop my scalp from getting burned.

I hope you don't mind me joining in this discussion. I am going to give Wrong Planet another go. I joined last year but did very little...

Pinchy

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2011, 11:14 am

I wear beanies and baseball caps (not at the same time; it depends on the season).

I prefer beanies. My head likes to be squished a little bit, and a beanie will do that. I have a lime green and purple beanie that apparently makes me look like Sam I Am, the Dr. Seuss character. I kind of like that idea.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 12:23 pm

I love the IDEA of hats! I see cute ones and keep buying them, but I never wear them. I don't like my hair to be mashed down and, cuz I wear glasses, the hats usually touch my glasses and that bothers me. I don't know why I keep buying hats.

Major_G
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2011, 1:56 pm

I tend to wear fishing hats & baseball caps all the time unless I'm at work. I wear them because I hate my hair.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 2:52 pm

I bought a fur-lined red hat with ear flaps and straps at Wal Greens. I put it on today because it got cold and it was so comfortable. No itching!
The only problem was it made my hair static charged and it was clinging to my chin and cheeks, and standing on end. That was causing discomfort because I don't like the feeling of static charged hair on my neck or chin. At least it was the hair and not the hat.